Question:

  • Dallas ODell
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2007
      Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard that used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and mustach that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I must be doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need to have because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I have heard that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even look for it. Any other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before I have to read to about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it right. Thanks for any and all help.
      Dallas

    • llsturts@greatlakes.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
        Check out a medical supply store--I've always had good luck using surgical
        adhesive on actors.

        ~lisa.s

      • llsturts@greatlakes.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
          To add to my first reply to this question; I couldn't remember the name of
          the product and had to do a bit of digging to find it:

          Pros-AideII was the adhesive used on appliances for the 'Beast' in the
          Broadway version of "Beauty and the Beast". I figured if thatÂ’s what they
          used, it might be good stuff. It is. I used it recently on a full beard
          for an actor who sweated profusely, with no problem.

          Make sure it's Pros-AideII, which has been adapted for FX use. The
          originally Pros-Aide was developed for use burn victims, and had some
          major issues for makeup application removal and clean up.

          ~lisa.s

          > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard that
          > used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and mustach
          > that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I must be
          > doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need to have
          > because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I have heard
          > that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even look for it. Any
          > other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before I have to read to
          > about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it right. Thanks for any and
          > all help.
        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
            a wig store will have tupe tape...
            or a costume shop
            or an evening gown store (they use it to keep strapless gowns in
            place).
            i've used the PERMANENT double sided tape, too...you can get that
            anywhere that carries scotch tape.

            --- llsturts@... wrote:

            > Check out a medical supply store--I've always had good luck using
            > surgical
            > adhesive on actors.
            >
            > ~lisa.s
            >
            > > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard
            > that
            > > used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and
            > mustach
            > > that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I must
            > be
            > > doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need to
            > have
            > > because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I have
            > heard
            > > that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even look for
            > it. Any
            > > other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before I have to read
            > > about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it right. Thanks for
            > any and
            > > all help.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Dallas ODell
              <dallasodell@...> wrote:

              > Been playing Santa for several years and have always used a beard
              that used elastic over the back of the head. Recieved a new beard and
              mustach that look great. I tried to get the spirit gum to work but I
              must be doing something wrong. It is no where near what I would need
              to have because I do get a tug on the beard every once and a while. I
              have heard that tupe tape might work but have no idea where to even
              look for it. Any other suggestions? I have a couple of weeks before
              I have to read to about 50 kids so I have a day or two get it it
              right. Thanks for any and all help.
              Don't use toupee tape, it won't stand up to the tugging much better
              than spirit gum. Prosthetic adhesive or surgical adhesive will likely
              be your best bets...just make sure you get the appropriate adhesive
              remover to go with it, and be prepared to spend a little time every
              couple of applications to remove adhesive residue from the beard, or
              else you'll end up with a very visible build-up around the edges
              (wouldn't be much of a problem for stage work, but where you'll be
              up-close-and-personal...)

              Kryolan makes a very good prosthetic adhesive...Ben Nye has an okay
              one, it's not quite as solid as the Kryolan. Mavidon makes an
              excellent general-purpose adhesive remover, if you can't find a
              specific remover for the brand. Any better-quality theatrical makeup
              supplier should either have these in stock or should be able to order
              them in very short order. If you can't find them locally, check out
              Special Effect Supply's online ordering system, I've done a lot of
              business with them and they are very prompt in taking care of orders
              and can ship to you (pretty much anywhere in the world...) I've used
              the Kryolan adhesive for Beauty and the Beast, Titanic the Musical,
              and two or three other shows, without a single problem.