Re: Glow in the dark makeup

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

      > Has anyone had any experience with glow-in-the-dark makeup? I'm not
      > talking about the kind you'd find in the seasonal Halloween costume
      > places, but from one the reputable stage makeup companies like Ben Nye,
      > Mehron, Kryolan etc. Searching on line, I've found several scary
      articles
      > about products being possibly hazardous. As much as I'd like the
      effect, I
      > don't want to put anyone at risk either.

      Well, the materials that they use to make it glow in the dark are not
      exactly healthy for you...but for makeup products made in the US, they
      must pass FDA regulations (for what that's worth)--which means, in
      practical terms, that you'd have to use absolutely insane amounts of
      it to actually create any health risk (kinda like the way you'd have
      to take about 2000 mg of acetominophen before it started to damage
      your liver...yes, it's hazardous, but not in the amounts that you'd be
      using).

      Personally, I've used the Kryolan GID makeup and been quite pleased
      with the results (although I was only using it under black lights, but
      it still worked wonderfully). Anything made by a larger, reputable
      makeup company should be perfectly safe to use...after all, these
      people don't stay in business as long as they have been by making
      products that are going to harm their client base. I know Mehron,
      particularly, takes great pains in this area (they have a makeup line
      designed specifically for people who are allergic to most stage
      makeup, which is silicon-based).