Glow in the dark makeup

  • llsturts@greatlakes.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
      Has anyone had any experience with glow-in-the-dark makeup? I'm not
      talking about the kind you'd find in the seasonal Halloween costume
      places, but from one the reputable stage makeup companies like Ben Nye,
      Mehron, Kryolan etc. Searching on line, I've found several scary articles
      about products being possibly hazardous. As much as I'd like the effect, I
      don't want to put anyone at risk either.

      Thanks!

      ~lisa.s
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
        i've used Mehron's water based glow-in-the-dark makeup, and i like
        it...a lot.
        i used it on my husband's face last year for halloween...all
        over...including the mouth area, which he wore off eating at the party,
        so i'm sure he injested some with no ill effects to him (left the skull
        face he had on a little worse for wear though).

        i'd recommend it.

        blessings,
        paula mcwhirter-buck

        --- llsturts@... wrote:

        > Has anyone had any experience with glow-in-the-dark makeup? I'm not
        > talking about the kind you'd find in the seasonal Halloween costume
        > places, but from one the reputable stage makeup companies like Ben
        > Nye,
        > Mehron, Kryolan etc. Searching on line, I've found several scary
        > articles
        > about products being possibly hazardous. As much as I'd like the
        > effect, I
        > don't want to put anyone at risk either.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > ~lisa.s

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

          > Has anyone had any experience with glow-in-the-dark makeup? I'm not
          > talking about the kind you'd find in the seasonal Halloween costume
          > places, but from one the reputable stage makeup companies like Ben Nye,
          > Mehron, Kryolan etc. Searching on line, I've found several scary
          articles
          > about products being possibly hazardous. As much as I'd like the
          effect, I
          > don't want to put anyone at risk either.

          Well, the materials that they use to make it glow in the dark are not
          exactly healthy for you...but for makeup products made in the US, they
          must pass FDA regulations (for what that's worth)--which means, in
          practical terms, that you'd have to use absolutely insane amounts of
          it to actually create any health risk (kinda like the way you'd have
          to take about 2000 mg of acetominophen before it started to damage
          your liver...yes, it's hazardous, but not in the amounts that you'd be
          using).

          Personally, I've used the Kryolan GID makeup and been quite pleased
          with the results (although I was only using it under black lights, but
          it still worked wonderfully). Anything made by a larger, reputable
          makeup company should be perfectly safe to use...after all, these
          people don't stay in business as long as they have been by making
          products that are going to harm their client base. I know Mehron,
          particularly, takes great pains in this area (they have a makeup line
          designed specifically for people who are allergic to most stage
          makeup, which is silicon-based).