They are still looking for somebody to fill my job in fairbanks

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
      Theatre UAF seeks a COSTUME DESIGNER to design and build costumes for
      one
      mainstage shows during the semester ("Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are
      Dead" by Tom Stoppard), teach Costume Design & Construction and 1
      other
      course which may include: Theatre History, Makeup Design, Scenic
      Design,
      Costume History, or other area of strength. Will supervise and advise
      for
      at least three student productions as well. Maintain the Costume
      Shop /
      Costume Storage resource in addition to building and/or procuring
      costumes
      for the above mentioned production.

      The theatre program at UAF offers a unique undergraduate degree
      providing
      opportunities for cross-cultural and interdisciplinary study. This
      position complements an existing faculty and staff which includes
      three
      other full-time faculty, part-time scene shop supervisor, part-time
      costume shop manager, and full-time box office / department
      administrator.
      Productions center around a well-equipped theatre and shops.

      Experience in, or evidence of, preparation for teaching costume design
      and
      construction required. Candidates will be evaluated on suitability of
      their academic preparation, past teaching experience, and potential
      for
      providing high quality instruction to undergraduate students.

      MFA or PhD in Theatre or Design is preferred. Master's degree or
      related
      field (or equivalent professional experience considered) .

      Doctorate degree in related field is preferred for upper division (300
      and
      400 level) courses.

      Must provide portfolio of previous design work for
      consideration.Experience in, or evidence of preparation for teaching
      set
      design, theatrical makeup, or theatre history may be helpful.

      Salary $21,000 DOE.

      Apply online at:
      www.uakjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=59232

      UAF is an AA/EO employer and educational institution.

      --
      Kade Mendelowitz
      Lighting & Multimedia Designer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2007
        I am a little confused and very thankful.
        As I read the job description and qualifications for this job I was thinking wow someone really would have to have a lot of experience and schooling, especially when I saw you had to have a MFA or even a doctorate. But then I saw the salary. Only $21,000? Isn't Alaska price of living very expensive? It was back in the 60's when I lived there with my parents. Prices for food were about what they are today. My dad said it was because everything had to come up from the lower 48. So my confusion is I do not have a degree, but 20 years of running my own sewing business. I now have a job of designing, building, costumes for our college, maintaining the rental stock, supervising student workers, managing the budget, etc, etc. But I make a little more than that. Don't get me wrong I am not bragging, I truly would like to know if this is the going salary for BFA's or MFA's in this venue. I was thinking of working toward a degree to get higher salary but now I am not sure if it is worth the headache and hassle. I am very thankful for the college that I work for at their generosity. Ok I just reread the ad maybe this is just for one semester, I don't know?

        Mrs. Kelley Maxfield

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kelley Maxfield
          <Kmaxfield@...> wrote:

          > I am a little confused and very thankful.
          > As I read the job description and qualifications for this job I was
          thinking wow someone really would have to have a lot of experience
          and schooling, especially when I saw you had to have a MFA or even a
          doctorate. But then I saw the salary. Only $21,000?

          Actually, that is for only 4 & 1/2 months work teaching 2 classes and
          designing one show. Alaska is more expensive than, say, Ohio, but
          much cheaper to live in than in California. Food is slightly more
          costly but rent is cheaper. However, the real plus is that it is a
          semester long chance to "audition" to try to get my former 9 month
          contract job which probably will open up for tenure-track next year,
          and to see if one wants to live in Alaska for a longer time. The
          money even then is probably not going to be very good, but the
          theatre dept does that rare thing, treats all faculty equally and
          like family. I have NEVER had the slightest problem with anyone at
          Theatre UAF getting the idea that being a costumer made you less of
          an Academic, an artist or person because it is "just sewing"
          or "women's work". The space for working is also a dream. The reason
          we want an MFA or Ph.D. is that those are terminal degrees for
          getting an assistant professor position, and that is what this is.
          This is not "staff", it is tripartate (teaching/research/service)
          faculty. Spring semester 2008 is a temporary position, but we want
          to try to get a temp who could possibly apply to become a tenure
          track faculty if UAF will let the dept hire one when I go permanently.
        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
            So the position is for spring semester? When exactly does that start?
            In January? Are you leaving, Tara or are they hiring an additional
            costume person? I understand you're going on sabbatical but the
            comment below seemed to indicate that you're leaving permanently.

            I might be interested in applying although I would only want the job
            for the one semester. Do you think they would still consider me under
            those circumstances?

            Sylvia

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
              You know after I sent that I got to thinking I bet it was for a semester. Thanks for the clarification. I hope I didn't offend you didn't mean to. Good luck on finding a replacement.

              Mrs. Kelley Maxfield

              > I am a little confused and very thankful.
              > As I read the job description and qualifications for this job I was
              thinking wow someone really would have to have a lot of experience
              and schooling, especially when I saw you had to have a MFA or even a
              doctorate. But then I saw the salary. Only $21,000?

              Actually, that is for only 4 & 1/2 months work teaching 2 classes and
              designing one show. Alaska is more expensive than, say, Ohio, but
              much cheaper to live in than in California. Food is slightly more
              costly but rent is cheaper. However, the real plus is that it is a
              semester long chance to "audition" to try to get my former 9 month
              contract job which probably will open up for tenure-track next year,
              and to see if one wants to live in Alaska for a longer time. The
              money even then is probably not going to be very good, but the
              theatre dept does that rare thing, treats all faculty equally and
              like family. I have NEVER had the slightest problem with anyone at
              Theatre UAF getting the idea that being a costumer made you less of
              an Academic, an artist or person because it is "just sewing"
              or "women's work". The space for working is also a dream. The reason
              we want an MFA or Ph.D. is that those are terminal degrees for
              getting an assistant professor position, and that is what this is.
              This is not "staff", it is tripartate (teaching/research/service)
              faculty. Spring semester 2008 is a temporary position, but we want
              to try to get a temp who could possibly apply to become a tenure
              track faculty if UAF will let the dept hire one when I go permanently.

            • Patty
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
                Frankly, Tara, I don't think anyone could take your place. Many of us
                took your on line class, and daily refer to the website for help and
                guidance. I know I couldn't hope to have the resume you have.( I hope
                the theatre students at UAF realize what a world class instructor they
                have.)

                When I first saw your posting about a short time replace ment, I
                thought, "Yeah, right!"

                I hope you do find someone, and that you enjoy your time off. If you
                leave UAF, I hope you'll let us know where you go, so maybe we will have
                a chance to see your work in the lower 48.

                Patty in Illinois