Re: Spirit Gum Remover Equivalent?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
      <dabehrens@...> wrote:

      > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
      > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
      > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
      > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
      > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
      > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?

      The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
      touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
      would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
      on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing alcohol
      covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also helped
      the lace retain its shape.

      The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol, is
      if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your eyes)
      or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
      Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
      durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult to
      clean up.
    • retshopbuyer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
        acetone ?

        As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
        up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
        that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
        fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
        in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
        cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover? I need a large quantity to soak
        these items. Goo Gone doesn't work.
        Thanks,
        Ann

      • anniethings53
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
          Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
          always learn something new.
          Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?
          Annie

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
          > <dabehrens@> wrote:
          > >
          > > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with
          cleaning
          > > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and
          sideburns
          > > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also
          have a
          > > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum
          right
          > > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive
          that's
          > > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?
          >
          > The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
          > touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
          > would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
          > on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing
          alcohol
          > covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also
          helped
          > the lace retain its shape.
          >
          > The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol,
          is
          > if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your
          eyes)
          > or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
          > Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
          > durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult
          > clean up.

        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
            <dabehrens@...> wrote:

            > Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
            > always learn something new.
            > Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?

            Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. The next time anyone
            hears me talking about agreeing to overlap five projects, slap me,
            please...

            The prosthetic adhesive that I use is a Kryolan product, and should be
            available from any 'better' theatrical makeup supplier. In my
            experience, it's a slightly better product than Ben Nye's
            adhesive--which isn't bad...it's just not as good. I think it's also
            slightly cheaper, but I know that, price-ways, they are both in the
            same ballpark. The remover I use is from a company called Mavidon,
            though I think just about every major theatrical makeup company has
            some kind of adhesive remover (Ben Nye's Bond-Off works pretty well,
            too, and the stuff we had in stock at work has a slightly orange
            aroma, as well). The one drawback to Mavidon's product is that it
            reacts adversely with certain plastics (it works by altering the
            composition of the adhesive so that it loses its grip, and sometimes
            it will do the same thing to a plastic cup...it has never done
            anything to skin, however...)--so you want to be sure, if you're using
            it to clean a brush, or if you're pouring out rations for people, that
            you use either waxed paper cups or metal containers. Generally, when
            I'm removing something attached with the adhesive, I wet a cotton swab
            with remover, and use the swap to work the prosthetic (or moustache or
            beard, etc) loose on one side (right at the very edge). Then I use
            the swab, rubbing back and forth, to get the adhesive to release and
            slowly, bit by bit, peel the appliance away from the skin. Don't be
            stingy with the remover, it's cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of
            remover than to replace a prosthetic appliance in the middle of a show
            because someone got impatient and ripped it.

            The drawback, in terms of use on moustaches, is the stuff does NOT
            clean up as nicely as spirit gum. Much more comfortable to wear, it
            doesn't get brittle over time...but clean-up is a pain. I have yet to
            find a good, easy, effective way to remove it from facial hair pieces,
            though I haven't exactly been trying much. I suspect pinning the
            moustache/beard/eyebrows/whatever down over a cloth soaked in the
            remover would actually be somewhat effective, as the remover would
            soften the adhesive residue, which would (theoretically) soak into the
            cloth. Sometime, when I'm not flailing to keep up with five hundred
            other projects, I need to clean several moustaches that I used last
            March in a production of Titanic, the Musical.

            Personally, I do most of my business with a place called Special
            Effect Supply, which is just down the highway from me, but the guy
            running it actually does international business and has a website with
            complete catalogs of what he's got in stock and available to order.

            If you want to look up Special Effect Supply, his web address is
            www.fxsupply.com. The guy running the place is Steve Biggs, and one
            of the benefits of doing business with him is that he is willing to
            advise occasionally on projects if you're stumped (he's helped me
            figure out a few headache projects over the years.)