Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Spirit Gum Remover Equivalent?

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
      have you tried mineral oil?
      i know avon's skin so soft works for removing glues and such, and mineral oil is it's main ingredient.
      i'd think it wouldnt be so hard on the synthetics of the apliance as rubbing alcohol...or spirit gum remover, for that matter.

      blessings,
      paula buck

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
        <dabehrens@...> wrote:

        > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
        > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
        > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
        > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
        > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
        > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?

        The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
        touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
        would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
        on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing alcohol
        covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also helped
        the lace retain its shape.

        The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol, is
        if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your eyes)
        or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
        Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
        durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult to
        clean up.
      • retshopbuyer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
          acetone ?

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
            Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
            always learn something new.
            Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?
            Annie

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
            > <dabehrens@> wrote:
            > >
            > > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with
            cleaning
            > > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and
            sideburns
            > > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also
            have a
            > > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum
            right
            > > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive
            that's
            > > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?
            >
            > The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
            > touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
            > would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
            > on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing
            alcohol
            > covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also
            helped
            > the lace retain its shape.
            >
            > The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol,
            is
            > if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your
            eyes)
            > or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
            > Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
            > durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult
            > clean up.

          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
              <dabehrens@...> wrote:

              > Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
              > always learn something new.
              > Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?

              Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. The next time anyone
              hears me talking about agreeing to overlap five projects, slap me,
              please...

              The prosthetic adhesive that I use is a Kryolan product, and should be
              available from any 'better' theatrical makeup supplier. In my
              experience, it's a slightly better product than Ben Nye's
              adhesive--which isn't bad...it's just not as good. I think it's also
              slightly cheaper, but I know that, price-ways, they are both in the
              same ballpark. The remover I use is from a company called Mavidon,
              though I think just about every major theatrical makeup company has
              some kind of adhesive remover (Ben Nye's Bond-Off works pretty well,
              too, and the stuff we had in stock at work has a slightly orange
              aroma, as well). The one drawback to Mavidon's product is that it
              reacts adversely with certain plastics (it works by altering the
              composition of the adhesive so that it loses its grip, and sometimes
              it will do the same thing to a plastic cup...it has never done
              anything to skin, however...)--so you want to be sure, if you're using
              it to clean a brush, or if you're pouring out rations for people, that
              you use either waxed paper cups or metal containers. Generally, when
              I'm removing something attached with the adhesive, I wet a cotton swab
              with remover, and use the swap to work the prosthetic (or moustache or
              beard, etc) loose on one side (right at the very edge). Then I use
              the swab, rubbing back and forth, to get the adhesive to release and
              slowly, bit by bit, peel the appliance away from the skin. Don't be
              stingy with the remover, it's cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of
              remover than to replace a prosthetic appliance in the middle of a show
              because someone got impatient and ripped it.

              The drawback, in terms of use on moustaches, is the stuff does NOT
              clean up as nicely as spirit gum. Much more comfortable to wear, it
              doesn't get brittle over time...but clean-up is a pain. I have yet to
              find a good, easy, effective way to remove it from facial hair pieces,
              though I haven't exactly been trying much. I suspect pinning the
              moustache/beard/eyebrows/whatever down over a cloth soaked in the
              remover would actually be somewhat effective, as the remover would
              soften the adhesive residue, which would (theoretically) soak into the
              cloth. Sometime, when I'm not flailing to keep up with five hundred
              other projects, I need to clean several moustaches that I used last
              March in a production of Titanic, the Musical.

              Personally, I do most of my business with a place called Special
              Effect Supply, which is just down the highway from me, but the guy
              running it actually does international business and has a website with
              complete catalogs of what he's got in stock and available to order.

              If you want to look up Special Effect Supply, his web address is
              www.fxsupply.com. The guy running the place is Steve Biggs, and one
              of the benefits of doing business with him is that he is willing to
              advise occasionally on projects if you're stumped (he's helped me
              figure out a few headache projects over the years.)