Re: Spirit Gum Remover Equivalent?

  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
      Basic rubbing alcohol dissolves spirit gum. It's all I ever use - I
      never get the "remover" even to remove appliances from skin....

      And it's cheap.

      Sandy

      At 09:22 AM 10/14/2007, you wrote:

      >As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
      >up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
      >that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
      >fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
      >in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
      >cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover? I need a large quantity to soak
      >these items. Goo Gone doesn't work.
      >Thanks,
      >Ann

      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
      Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      Why They Are Simply Doomed.

      Achemdro'hm
      "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      -- C.Y. 4971

      Andromeda
    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
        have you tried mineral oil?
        i know avon's skin so soft works for removing glues and such, and mineral oil is it's main ingredient.
        i'd think it wouldnt be so hard on the synthetics of the apliance as rubbing alcohol...or spirit gum remover, for that matter.

        blessings,
        paula buck

        Basic rubbing alcohol dissolves spirit gum. It's all I ever use - I
        never get the "remover" even to remove appliances from skin....

        And it's cheap.

        Sandy

        At 09:22 AM 10/14/2007, you wrote:

        >As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
        >up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
        >that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
        >fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
        >in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
        >cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover? I need a large quantity to soak
        >these items. Goo Gone doesn't work.
        >Thanks,
        >Ann

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
          <dabehrens@...> wrote:

          > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with cleaning
          > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and sideburns
          > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also have a
          > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum right
          > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive that's
          > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?

          The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
          touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
          would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
          on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing alcohol
          covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also helped
          the lace retain its shape.

          The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol, is
          if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your eyes)
          or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
          Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
          durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult to
          clean up.
        • retshopbuyer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
            acetone ?

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2007
              Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
              always learn something new.
              Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?
              Annie

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "anniethings53"
              > <dabehrens@> wrote:
              > >
              > > As in many small theatre groups, the costumer gets stuck with
              cleaning
              > > up after every show. I have a number of fake moustaches and
              sideburns
              > > that need to be cleaned of their accumulated Spirit Gum. I also
              have a
              > > fake fur animal costume on which a renter spilled Spirit Gum
              right
              > > in the crotch. Is there another product to remove this adhesive
              that's
              > > cheaper than actual Spirit Gum Remover?
              >
              > The rubbing alcohol, as suggested, is great. In fact, one of the
              > touring shows that came through town a few years back (Footloose)
              > would take the lace-front wigs at the end of each night and pin them
              > on the head blocks with a strip of bias tape soaked in rubbing
              alcohol
              > covering the lace. It would dissolve the spirit gum, and also
              helped
              > the lace retain its shape.
              >
              > The only time I use spirit gum remover, instead of rubbing alcohol,
              is
              > if I am working close to the eyes (because the fumes sting your
              eyes)
              > or if I'm doing makeup on someone with exceptional delicate skin.
              > Most of the time, I actually use prosthetic adhesive, which is more
              > durable and flexible than spirit gum...but also much more difficult
              > clean up.

            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
                <dabehrens@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone! I can always count on you guys for help and I
                > always learn something new.
                > Curtis, where do you get prosthetic adhesive and remover?

                Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. The next time anyone
                hears me talking about agreeing to overlap five projects, slap me,
                please...

                The prosthetic adhesive that I use is a Kryolan product, and should be
                available from any 'better' theatrical makeup supplier. In my
                experience, it's a slightly better product than Ben Nye's
                adhesive--which isn't bad...it's just not as good. I think it's also
                slightly cheaper, but I know that, price-ways, they are both in the
                same ballpark. The remover I use is from a company called Mavidon,
                though I think just about every major theatrical makeup company has
                some kind of adhesive remover (Ben Nye's Bond-Off works pretty well,
                too, and the stuff we had in stock at work has a slightly orange
                aroma, as well). The one drawback to Mavidon's product is that it
                reacts adversely with certain plastics (it works by altering the
                composition of the adhesive so that it loses its grip, and sometimes
                it will do the same thing to a plastic cup...it has never done
                anything to skin, however...)--so you want to be sure, if you're using
                it to clean a brush, or if you're pouring out rations for people, that
                you use either waxed paper cups or metal containers. Generally, when
                I'm removing something attached with the adhesive, I wet a cotton swab
                with remover, and use the swap to work the prosthetic (or moustache or
                beard, etc) loose on one side (right at the very edge). Then I use
                the swab, rubbing back and forth, to get the adhesive to release and
                slowly, bit by bit, peel the appliance away from the skin. Don't be
                stingy with the remover, it's cheaper to buy a couple of bottles of
                remover than to replace a prosthetic appliance in the middle of a show
                because someone got impatient and ripped it.

                The drawback, in terms of use on moustaches, is the stuff does NOT
                clean up as nicely as spirit gum. Much more comfortable to wear, it
                doesn't get brittle over time...but clean-up is a pain. I have yet to
                find a good, easy, effective way to remove it from facial hair pieces,
                though I haven't exactly been trying much. I suspect pinning the
                moustache/beard/eyebrows/whatever down over a cloth soaked in the
                remover would actually be somewhat effective, as the remover would
                soften the adhesive residue, which would (theoretically) soak into the
                cloth. Sometime, when I'm not flailing to keep up with five hundred
                other projects, I need to clean several moustaches that I used last
                March in a production of Titanic, the Musical.

                Personally, I do most of my business with a place called Special
                Effect Supply, which is just down the highway from me, but the guy
                running it actually does international business and has a website with
                complete catalogs of what he's got in stock and available to order.

                If you want to look up Special Effect Supply, his web address is
                www.fxsupply.com. The guy running the place is Steve Biggs, and one
                of the benefits of doing business with him is that he is willing to
                advise occasionally on projects if you're stumped (he's helped me
                figure out a few headache projects over the years.)