Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala Costume

  • Joël Levy
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10, 2002
      Jo:
      >is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, <

      There are very well done Amidala paperdolls -- with numerous (8 or so)
      outfits (the authentic ones) -- online at
      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/1228/PaperDoll.html

      Joel
      Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
      Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
      who rules!)
      mailto:bordercollies@...
      http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
      Border Collie Temperament Theory
      http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
      "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
      http://www.awaytome.org
    • Joël Levy
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10, 2002
        > There are very well done Amidala paperdolls ... online <

        Oops! Following the terrific URLs everyone else suggested, I see I'm
        woefully behind the times -- and obviously not a "true" fan. :[

        Sorry if I wasted everyone's time.

        Joel
        Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
        Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
        who rules!)
        mailto:bordercollies@...
        http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
        Border Collie Temperament Theory
        http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
        "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
        http://www.awaytome.org
      • Contessa
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10, 2002
          There was no waste of time, your opinion
          is just as valuable as anyones!!!
          Thanks for contributing.
          Contessa
          > There are very well done Amidala paperdolls ... online <

          Oops! Following the terrific URLs everyone else suggested, I see I'm
          woefully behind the times -- and obviously not a "true" fan. :[

          Sorry if I wasted everyone's time.

          Joel
          Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
          Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
          who rules!)
          mailto:bordercollies@...
          http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
          Border Collie Temperament Theory
          http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
          "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
          http://www.awaytome.org

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 27 , May 11, 2002
            hello all,
            If you don't care to hear my 'updates', feel free to delete
            them, I won't feel bad, honest. hehe, I won't even know
            :-)

            I found the fabric today. It's the wierd stiff black
            fabric that has a neat wet sheen to it. It's not leather
            like the original is supposedly made of, but it looks a lot
            like the pictures. I plan to use the same fabric for the
            skirt, and spray it with this glitter floral spray. The
            test swatch is looking good :-) There were a lot of good
            materials in the special occasion department, but
            definitely none in my budget.

            I am using a simplicity pattern for the corset, I don't
            remember the number offhand, 7009 or something like that I
            think. I dunno, I am working on so many things right now I
            can't keep the numbers straight. But anyhow, the fabric
            and lining is cut out. I don't have a close-enough pattern
            for the skirt and I don't have a personal sloper, so, get
            ready for this, I am going to attempt to drape it :-0 On
            myself! 8-0

            Wish me luck...

            -Jessie

            =====
            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • Barb Moore
            Message 5 of 27 , May 12, 2002
              Would you all please check out my website for me? I
              need to know if it works with all platforms and
              browsers before I "go live" with it.
              thanks!

              http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html

              barb

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
              http://launch.yahoo.com
            • peggy salvail
              Message 6 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                Good luck to you Jessie I'd love to see a pic fo the
                finnished work!!! I don't know much about drapeing but
                my daughter does, she is attending Fashion Design
                school and is graduating the end of this mo. When she
                comes home she teaches em all sorts of neat industry
                tricks. Take care "Sal" ps i love reading what you
                are all up to

                Message 7 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                  Looks good Barb but theres nothing there to see When
                  will you ahve it up and running? "Sal"

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                    gotta have it working first.. :)

                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                  • yum-yi
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                      Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                      The site works for me! I know that you were only
                      looking for information about if it worked on
                      different platforms etc... however I did find the
                      navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on the
                      pages)
                      I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of your
                      website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                      live". It's always a bother to go to a site that isnt
                      ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                      back.
                      Good luck!
                      -Dawn

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                        Yup! That's why I sent it to the list. I do this
                        professionally at a major university! We have learned
                        never to "go live" until all is ready LOL

                        --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
                        > Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                        > The site works for me! I know that you were only
                        > looking for information about if it worked on
                        > different platforms etc... however I did find the
                        > navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on
                        > the
                        > pages)
                        > I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of
                        > your
                        > website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                        > live". It's always a bother to go to a site that
                        > isnt
                        > ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                        > back.
                        > Good luck!
                        > -Dawn
                        >

                        > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Would you all please check out my website for me?
                        > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                        > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                        > > thanks!
                        > >

                        > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                        > >
                        > > barb

                        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                        http://launch.yahoo.com
                      • Paquerette
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                          Very pretty! I looked at it in Netscape and Mozilla on Debian linux. In
                          netscape, the text runs a little bit to the left into the side design,
                          but it stays on the black in Mozilla. However, in Mozilla the button set
                          at the bottom is a bit separated (looks like he was decapitated!) but it
                          all stays together in Netscape.

                          ...And, oddly enough, after I click on one of the buttons and then go
                          back, the buttons go together properly. Weird.

                          Let us know when you have it all finished and live! I would like to come
                          look again.

                          Jeni.

                          > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...> wrote:
                          > > Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                          > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                          > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                          > > thanks!
                          > >
                          > > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                          > >
                          > > barb
                        • Siebel San
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                            Hello all,

                            Today's lesson learned the hard way: It is very, very
                            difficult to fit your own butt...

                            Well, I have started the skirt today. Unfortunatly, I
                            cannot impress you all with tales of draping my own body.
                            I chickened out a bit there. I used a pattern that I have
                            used with success before, and just narrowed the top a bit
                            so that is was more fitted around my thighs and knees,
                            before flaring out. I wish I had used a different fabric
                            for the skirt, but oh well, I am not gonna cry about it or
                            go through the ordeal of fitting it again with new fabric.
                            Until next time...

                            -Jessie

                            =====
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 15, 2002
                              It's done! Woohoo! I haven't had the chance to try on the
                              whole costume (I need someone to lace me into the corset,
                              can't reach my own back) but I think it looks pretty cool
                              for something made in just a few days. I'll be taking
                              pictures tonight at the theatre with all my friends'
                              costumes as well. Have a good night you all, and 'have
                              fun' to anyone else who might be going to the Star Wars
                              premier :-)
                              -Jessie

                              =====
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 23, 2002
                                Hello all,

                                The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the front
                                page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole event
                                was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman there
                                dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all dressed as
                                Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when the
                                group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i walked
                                past, but I have to admit it was probably more for the
                                black leather-look outfit than for me.

                                Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!

                                -Jessie

                                =====
                                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                http://launch.yahoo.com
                              • Dana Koga
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                  Jess,
                                  Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I'm such a novice. But I'm sure all of us would be thrilled to see how your costume came out. Could you post it somewhere so we could see it? I just saw the movie so I'm even more curious.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Dana
                                • peggy salvail
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                    How great that your costume was a success. Can you
                                    access your paper online? then we could see you on the
                                    Ft. page.
                                    Have you tried washing the curtains and then drying
                                    them? Just a sm piece at first to see what happens.
                                    I've seen old drapes lose this rubberbacking after
                                    being laundered.
                                    My only other suggestion is to line it
                                    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know what a hassel but if the
                                    material is that neat you might want to consider
                                    it.take care "Sal"

                                    --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello all,
                                    >
                                    > The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the
                                    > front
                                    > page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole
                                    > event
                                    > was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman
                                    > there
                                    > dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all
                                    > dressed as
                                    > Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when
                                    > the
                                    > group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i
                                    > walked
                                    > past, but I have to admit it was probably more for
                                    > the
                                    > black leather-look outfit than for me.
                                    >
                                    > Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible
                                    > old
                                    > curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower
                                    > pattern.
                                    > However, they have this awful rubbery plastic
                                    > backing on
                                    > them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be
                                    > made
                                    > into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea
                                    > how to
                                    > remove that backing without damaging the curtains?
                                    > It
                                    > seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help
                                    > would be
                                    > greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                    >
                                    > -Jessie
                                    >

                                    > =====
                                    > Visit my website!
                                    > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

                                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                                  • Julia Logan Trimarco
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                      >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
                                      >>Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala and old curtains
                                      >Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
                                      I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                      >curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                      >However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                      >them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                      >into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                      >remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                      >seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                      >greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                      >-Jessie

                                      the first thing you need to find out is the fiber content of the black
                                      material. There are several solvents that may take off the backing, but
                                      until you know the fiber content, they could destroy the fabric, too. Are
                                      you familiar with burn testing for fiber content?
                                      Some solvents include dry/cleaning fluid, acetone (or nail polish remover),
                                      denatured alcohol. Acetone will dissolve acetate. Drycleaning fluid is
                                      pretty safe on almost anything, but may not work the best.
                                      My guess is any solvent that works is going to have noxious fumes, so work
                                      in a well ventilated area AND wear a respirator. You could also ask your
                                      local drycleaner for advice.