Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala Costume

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10, 2002

      > I'm a happy girl. I bought a little book of Queen
      > Amidala Paper dolls at the grocery store. Drawings of
      > the costumes and corresponding still pics! Go to your
      > bookstore!
      >
      > Becky

      http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml

      There is the address - check it out! Some beautiful
      detailed pictures of the costumes! Definitely worth
      looking at!

      -Jessie

      =====
      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10, 2002
        heh heh, looks like you all are on the ball and found the
        site, lol. I plan to make just a quick 'n dirty skirt,
        probably not as nicely fitted as Amidala's. I think I may
        just take a simple pattern I have and extend the back into
        a train. I am going to attempt to make a corset in 6 days,
        but if I can't do it, a friend is lending me a gothy
        pleather one that, while not entirely screen-accurate, will
        work. Whoo, tomorrow I shop for fabric!

        -Jessie

        =====
        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Joël Levy
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10, 2002
          Jo:
          >is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, <

          There are very well done Amidala paperdolls -- with numerous (8 or so)
          outfits (the authentic ones) -- online at
          http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/1228/PaperDoll.html

          Joel
          Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
          Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
          who rules!)
          mailto:bordercollies@...
          http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
          Border Collie Temperament Theory
          http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
          "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
          http://www.awaytome.org
        • Joël Levy
          Message 4 of 27 , May 10, 2002
            > There are very well done Amidala paperdolls ... online <

            Oops! Following the terrific URLs everyone else suggested, I see I'm
            woefully behind the times -- and obviously not a "true" fan. :[

            Sorry if I wasted everyone's time.

            Joel
            Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
            Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
            who rules!)
            mailto:bordercollies@...
            http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
            Border Collie Temperament Theory
            http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
            "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
            http://www.awaytome.org
          • Contessa
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10, 2002
              There was no waste of time, your opinion
              is just as valuable as anyones!!!
              Thanks for contributing.
              Contessa

              Message 6 of 27 , May 11, 2002
                hello all,
                If you don't care to hear my 'updates', feel free to delete
                them, I won't feel bad, honest. hehe, I won't even know
                :-)

                I found the fabric today. It's the wierd stiff black
                fabric that has a neat wet sheen to it. It's not leather
                like the original is supposedly made of, but it looks a lot
                like the pictures. I plan to use the same fabric for the
                skirt, and spray it with this glitter floral spray. The
                test swatch is looking good :-) There were a lot of good
                materials in the special occasion department, but
                definitely none in my budget.

                I am using a simplicity pattern for the corset, I don't
                remember the number offhand, 7009 or something like that I
                think. I dunno, I am working on so many things right now I
                can't keep the numbers straight. But anyhow, the fabric
                and lining is cut out. I don't have a close-enough pattern
                for the skirt and I don't have a personal sloper, so, get
                ready for this, I am going to attempt to drape it :-0 On
                myself! 8-0

                Wish me luck...

                -Jessie

                =====
                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com
              • Barb Moore
                Message 7 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                  Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                  need to know if it works with all platforms and
                  browsers before I "go live" with it.
                  thanks!

                  http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html

                  barb

                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                  http://launch.yahoo.com
                • peggy salvail
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                    Good luck to you Jessie I'd love to see a pic fo the
                    finnished work!!! I don't know much about drapeing but
                    my daughter does, she is attending Fashion Design
                    school and is graduating the end of this mo. When she
                    comes home she teaches em all sorts of neat industry
                    tricks. Take care "Sal" ps i love reading what you
                    are all up to

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                      Looks good Barb but theres nothing there to see When
                      will you ahve it up and running? "Sal"

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                        gotta have it working first.. :)

                        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                        http://launch.yahoo.com
                      • yum-yi
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                          Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                          The site works for me! I know that you were only
                          looking for information about if it worked on
                          different platforms etc... however I did find the
                          navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on the
                          pages)
                          I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of your
                          website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                          live". It's always a bother to go to a site that isnt
                          ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                          back.
                          Good luck!
                          -Dawn

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                            Yup! That's why I sent it to the list. I do this
                            professionally at a major university! We have learned
                            never to "go live" until all is ready LOL

                            --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
                            > Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                            > The site works for me! I know that you were only
                            > looking for information about if it worked on
                            > different platforms etc... however I did find the
                            > navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on
                            > the
                            > pages)
                            > I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of
                            > your
                            > website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                            > live". It's always a bother to go to a site that
                            > isnt
                            > ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                            > back.
                            > Good luck!
                            > -Dawn
                            >

                            > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Would you all please check out my website for me?
                            > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                            > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                            > > thanks!
                            > >

                            > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                            > >
                            > > barb

                            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                            http://launch.yahoo.com
                          • Paquerette
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                              Very pretty! I looked at it in Netscape and Mozilla on Debian linux. In
                              netscape, the text runs a little bit to the left into the side design,
                              but it stays on the black in Mozilla. However, in Mozilla the button set
                              at the bottom is a bit separated (looks like he was decapitated!) but it
                              all stays together in Netscape.

                              ...And, oddly enough, after I click on one of the buttons and then go
                              back, the buttons go together properly. Weird.

                              Let us know when you have it all finished and live! I would like to come
                              look again.

                              Jeni.

                              > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...> wrote:
                              > > Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                              > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                              > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                              > > thanks!
                              > >
                              > > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                              > >
                              > > barb
                            • Siebel San
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                                Hello all,

                                Today's lesson learned the hard way: It is very, very
                                difficult to fit your own butt...

                                Well, I have started the skirt today. Unfortunatly, I
                                cannot impress you all with tales of draping my own body.
                                I chickened out a bit there. I used a pattern that I have
                                used with success before, and just narrowed the top a bit
                                so that is was more fitted around my thighs and knees,
                                before flaring out. I wish I had used a different fabric
                                for the skirt, but oh well, I am not gonna cry about it or
                                go through the ordeal of fitting it again with new fabric.
                                Until next time...

                                -Jessie

                                =====
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 15, 2002
                                  It's done! Woohoo! I haven't had the chance to try on the
                                  whole costume (I need someone to lace me into the corset,
                                  can't reach my own back) but I think it looks pretty cool
                                  for something made in just a few days. I'll be taking
                                  pictures tonight at the theatre with all my friends'
                                  costumes as well. Have a good night you all, and 'have
                                  fun' to anyone else who might be going to the Star Wars
                                  premier :-)
                                  -Jessie

                                  =====
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 23, 2002
                                    Hello all,

                                    The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the front
                                    page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole event
                                    was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman there
                                    dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all dressed as
                                    Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when the
                                    group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i walked
                                    past, but I have to admit it was probably more for the
                                    black leather-look outfit than for me.

                                    Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                    curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                    However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                    them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                    into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                    remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                    seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                    greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!

                                    -Jessie

                                    =====
                                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                                  • Dana Koga
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                      Jess,
                                      Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I'm such a novice. But I'm sure all of us would be thrilled to see how your costume came out. Could you post it somewhere so we could see it? I just saw the movie so I'm even more curious.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Dana
                                    • peggy salvail
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                        How great that your costume was a success. Can you
                                        access your paper online? then we could see you on the
                                        Ft. page.
                                        Have you tried washing the curtains and then drying
                                        them? Just a sm piece at first to see what happens.
                                        I've seen old drapes lose this rubberbacking after
                                        being laundered.
                                        My only other suggestion is to line it
                                        EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know what a hassel but if the
                                        material is that neat you might want to consider
                                        it.take care "Sal"

                                        --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello all,
                                        >
                                        > The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the
                                        > front
                                        > page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole
                                        > event
                                        > was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman
                                        > there
                                        > dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all
                                        > dressed as
                                        > Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when
                                        > the
                                        > group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i
                                        > walked
                                        > past, but I have to admit it was probably more for
                                        > the
                                        > black leather-look outfit than for me.
                                        >
                                        > Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible
                                        > old
                                        > curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower
                                        > pattern.
                                        > However, they have this awful rubbery plastic
                                        > backing on
                                        > them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be
                                        > made
                                        > into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea
                                        > how to
                                        > remove that backing without damaging the curtains?
                                        > It
                                        > seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help
                                        > would be
                                        > greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                        >
                                        > -Jessie
                                        >

                                        > =====
                                        > Visit my website!
                                        > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

                                        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                        http://launch.yahoo.com
                                      • Julia Logan Trimarco
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                          >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
                                          >>Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala and old curtains
                                          >Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
                                          I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                          >curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                          >However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                          >them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                          >into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                          >remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                          >seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                          >greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                          >-Jessie

                                          the first thing you need to find out is the fiber content of the black
                                          material. There are several solvents that may take off the backing, but
                                          until you know the fiber content, they could destroy the fabric, too. Are
                                          you familiar with burn testing for fiber content?
                                          Some solvents include dry/cleaning fluid, acetone (or nail polish remover),
                                          denatured alcohol. Acetone will dissolve acetate. Drycleaning fluid is
                                          pretty safe on almost anything, but may not work the best.
                                          My guess is any solvent that works is going to have noxious fumes, so work
                                          in a well ventilated area AND wear a respirator. You could also ask your
                                          local drycleaner for advice.