Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala Costume

  • Beckys costumed email
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10, 2002
      --- BowieGirl1982@... wrote:
      > Becky - is there an ISBN number on the paper doll
      > book, or a publisher so I
      > can look for it here in the UK
      >
      > Ta!
      >
      > Jo

      Surely there is! ISBN # 0-375-81508-2 published by
      Random house. Gives a site www.randomhouse.com/kids.

      Becky

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10, 2002

        > I'm a happy girl. I bought a little book of Queen
        > Amidala Paper dolls at the grocery store. Drawings of
        > the costumes and corresponding still pics! Go to your
        > bookstore!
        >
        > Becky

        http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml

        There is the address - check it out! Some beautiful
        detailed pictures of the costumes! Definitely worth
        looking at!

        -Jessie

        =====
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10, 2002
          heh heh, looks like you all are on the ball and found the
          site, lol. I plan to make just a quick 'n dirty skirt,
          probably not as nicely fitted as Amidala's. I think I may
          just take a simple pattern I have and extend the back into
          a train. I am going to attempt to make a corset in 6 days,
          but if I can't do it, a friend is lending me a gothy
          pleather one that, while not entirely screen-accurate, will
          work. Whoo, tomorrow I shop for fabric!

          -Jessie

          =====
          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Joël Levy
          Message 4 of 27 , May 10, 2002
            Jo:
            >is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, <

            There are very well done Amidala paperdolls -- with numerous (8 or so)
            outfits (the authentic ones) -- online at
            http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/1228/PaperDoll.html

            Joel
            Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
            Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
            who rules!)
            mailto:bordercollies@...
            http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
            Border Collie Temperament Theory
            http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
            "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
            http://www.awaytome.org
          • Joël Levy
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10, 2002
              > There are very well done Amidala paperdolls ... online <

              Oops! Following the terrific URLs everyone else suggested, I see I'm
              woefully behind the times -- and obviously not a "true" fan. :[

              Sorry if I wasted everyone's time.

              Joel
              Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
              Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
              who rules!)
              mailto:bordercollies@...
              http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
              Border Collie Temperament Theory
              http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
              "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
              http://www.awaytome.org
            • Contessa
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10, 2002
                There was no waste of time, your opinion
                is just as valuable as anyones!!!
                Thanks for contributing.
                Contessa

                Message 7 of 27 , May 11, 2002
                  hello all,
                  If you don't care to hear my 'updates', feel free to delete
                  them, I won't feel bad, honest. hehe, I won't even know
                  :-)

                  I found the fabric today. It's the wierd stiff black
                  fabric that has a neat wet sheen to it. It's not leather
                  like the original is supposedly made of, but it looks a lot
                  like the pictures. I plan to use the same fabric for the
                  skirt, and spray it with this glitter floral spray. The
                  test swatch is looking good :-) There were a lot of good
                  materials in the special occasion department, but
                  definitely none in my budget.

                  I am using a simplicity pattern for the corset, I don't
                  remember the number offhand, 7009 or something like that I
                  think. I dunno, I am working on so many things right now I
                  can't keep the numbers straight. But anyhow, the fabric
                  and lining is cut out. I don't have a close-enough pattern
                  for the skirt and I don't have a personal sloper, so, get
                  ready for this, I am going to attempt to drape it :-0 On
                  myself! 8-0

                  Wish me luck...

                  -Jessie

                  =====
                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                  http://launch.yahoo.com
                • Barb Moore
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                    Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                    need to know if it works with all platforms and
                    browsers before I "go live" with it.
                    thanks!

                    http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html

                    barb

                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                  • peggy salvail
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                      Good luck to you Jessie I'd love to see a pic fo the
                      finnished work!!! I don't know much about drapeing but
                      my daughter does, she is attending Fashion Design
                      school and is graduating the end of this mo. When she
                      comes home she teaches em all sorts of neat industry
                      tricks. Take care "Sal" ps i love reading what you
                      are all up to

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                        Looks good Barb but theres nothing there to see When
                        will you ahve it up and running? "Sal"

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                          gotta have it working first.. :)

                          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                          http://launch.yahoo.com
                        • yum-yi
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                            Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                            The site works for me! I know that you were only
                            looking for information about if it worked on
                            different platforms etc... however I did find the
                            navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on the
                            pages)
                            I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of your
                            website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                            live". It's always a bother to go to a site that isnt
                            ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                            back.
                            Good luck!
                            -Dawn

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                              Yup! That's why I sent it to the list. I do this
                              professionally at a major university! We have learned
                              never to "go live" until all is ready LOL

                              --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
                              > Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                              > The site works for me! I know that you were only
                              > looking for information about if it worked on
                              > different platforms etc... however I did find the
                              > navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on
                              > the
                              > pages)
                              > I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of
                              > your
                              > website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                              > live". It's always a bother to go to a site that
                              > isnt
                              > ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                              > back.
                              > Good luck!
                              > -Dawn
                              >

                              > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Would you all please check out my website for me?
                              > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                              > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                              > > thanks!
                              > >

                              > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                              > >
                              > > barb

                              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                              http://launch.yahoo.com
                            • Paquerette
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                                Very pretty! I looked at it in Netscape and Mozilla on Debian linux. In
                                netscape, the text runs a little bit to the left into the side design,
                                but it stays on the black in Mozilla. However, in Mozilla the button set
                                at the bottom is a bit separated (looks like he was decapitated!) but it
                                all stays together in Netscape.

                                ...And, oddly enough, after I click on one of the buttons and then go
                                back, the buttons go together properly. Weird.

                                Let us know when you have it all finished and live! I would like to come
                                look again.

                                Jeni.

                                > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...> wrote:
                                > > Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                                > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                                > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                                > > thanks!
                                > >
                                > > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                                > >
                                > > barb
                              • Siebel San
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                                  Hello all,

                                  Today's lesson learned the hard way: It is very, very
                                  difficult to fit your own butt...

                                  Well, I have started the skirt today. Unfortunatly, I
                                  cannot impress you all with tales of draping my own body.
                                  I chickened out a bit there. I used a pattern that I have
                                  used with success before, and just narrowed the top a bit
                                  so that is was more fitted around my thighs and knees,
                                  before flaring out. I wish I had used a different fabric
                                  for the skirt, but oh well, I am not gonna cry about it or
                                  go through the ordeal of fitting it again with new fabric.
                                  Until next time...

                                  -Jessie

                                  =====
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 15, 2002
                                    It's done! Woohoo! I haven't had the chance to try on the
                                    whole costume (I need someone to lace me into the corset,
                                    can't reach my own back) but I think it looks pretty cool
                                    for something made in just a few days. I'll be taking
                                    pictures tonight at the theatre with all my friends'
                                    costumes as well. Have a good night you all, and 'have
                                    fun' to anyone else who might be going to the Star Wars
                                    premier :-)
                                    -Jessie

                                    =====
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 23, 2002
                                      Hello all,

                                      The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the front
                                      page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole event
                                      was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman there
                                      dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all dressed as
                                      Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when the
                                      group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i walked
                                      past, but I have to admit it was probably more for the
                                      black leather-look outfit than for me.

                                      Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                      curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                      However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                      them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                      into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                      remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                      seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                      greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!

                                      -Jessie

                                      =====
                                      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                      http://launch.yahoo.com
                                    • Dana Koga
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                        Jess,
                                        Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I'm such a novice. But I'm sure all of us would be thrilled to see how your costume came out. Could you post it somewhere so we could see it? I just saw the movie so I'm even more curious.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Dana
                                      • peggy salvail
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                          How great that your costume was a success. Can you
                                          access your paper online? then we could see you on the
                                          Ft. page.
                                          Have you tried washing the curtains and then drying
                                          them? Just a sm piece at first to see what happens.
                                          I've seen old drapes lose this rubberbacking after
                                          being laundered.
                                          My only other suggestion is to line it
                                          EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know what a hassel but if the
                                          material is that neat you might want to consider
                                          it.take care "Sal"

                                          --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                                          > Hello all,
                                          >
                                          > The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the
                                          > front
                                          > page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole
                                          > event
                                          > was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman
                                          > there
                                          > dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all
                                          > dressed as
                                          > Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when
                                          > the
                                          > group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i
                                          > walked
                                          > past, but I have to admit it was probably more for
                                          > the
                                          > black leather-look outfit than for me.
                                          >
                                          > Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible
                                          > old
                                          > curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower
                                          > pattern.
                                          > However, they have this awful rubbery plastic
                                          > backing on
                                          > them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be
                                          > made
                                          > into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea
                                          > how to
                                          > remove that backing without damaging the curtains?
                                          > It
                                          > seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help
                                          > would be
                                          > greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                          >
                                          > -Jessie
                                          >

                                          > =====
                                          > Visit my website!
                                          > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

                                          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                          http://launch.yahoo.com
                                        • Julia Logan Trimarco
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                            >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
                                            >>Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala and old curtains
                                            >Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
                                            I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                            >curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                            >However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                            >them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                            >into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                            >remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                            >seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                            >greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                            >-Jessie

                                            the first thing you need to find out is the fiber content of the black
                                            material. There are several solvents that may take off the backing, but
                                            until you know the fiber content, they could destroy the fabric, too. Are
                                            you familiar with burn testing for fiber content?
                                            Some solvents include dry/cleaning fluid, acetone (or nail polish remover),
                                            denatured alcohol. Acetone will dissolve acetate. Drycleaning fluid is
                                            pretty safe on almost anything, but may not work the best.
                                            My guess is any solvent that works is going to have noxious fumes, so work
                                            in a well ventilated area AND wear a respirator. You could also ask your
                                            local drycleaner for advice.