Looking for...

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10 11:55 AM
      The director I'm working with right now has asked me if I can
      duplicate a jacket I made for him a couple of years ago (with some
      modifications)--they don't want to alter the original (it would need
      to be shorter, but they want the option of having the original jacket
      if they decide to do that particular show again). The problem I'm
      having is that I can't find the same material.

      I bought it originally at WalMart--black nubuck Fashion Leather, with
      a tooled pattern embossed on it. Has anybody seen this anywhere
      recently? I've checked three different WalMart stores in my area
      looking for it...they've got black nubuck with a 'natural' finish, and
      they've got a couple of shades of brown nubuck with the tooled
      finish...but I can't find the black tooled finish. There are four
      more stores within reasonable driving distance (since I've had very
      little luck calling the stores to ask about it...a lot of the people
      working the fabric sections aren't familiar enough with their stock to
      be able to answer questions about whether or not that particular
      material is in stock)...

      I'm just working on the 'bird in the hand' principle here...still
      hoping to find it locally, but I'd like to have a fall-back plan in
      case the trail goes cold on me. Thanks, all!
    • sally
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 11 12:50 PM
        If Wal*art has the proper material in the wrong color, grab the name
        of the fabric (if it has one) and the manufacturer from the end of
        the bolt and do a Google search. If they're still making it, it's
        possible someone still has some in black. No guarantees but it has
        worked before.

        --Sally

        > I bought it originally at WalMart--black nubuck Fashion Leather, with
        > a tooled pattern embossed on it. Has anybody seen this anywhere
        > recently? I've checked three different WalMart stores in my area
        > looking for it...they've got black nubuck with a 'natural' finish, and
        > they've got a couple of shades of brown nubuck with the tooled
        > finish...but I can't find the black tooled finish. There are four
        > more stores within reasonable driving distance (since I've had very
        > little luck calling the stores to ask about it...a lot of the people
        > working the fabric sections aren't familiar enough with their stock to
        > be able to answer questions about whether or not that particular
        > material is in stock)...
        >
        > I'm just working on the 'bird in the hand' principle here...still
        > hoping to find it locally, but I'd like to have a fall-back plan in
        > case the trail goes cold on me. Thanks, all!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Curtis
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
          I'm sure this issue has been discussed before, but rather than spend
          hours and hours ransacking my old emails, at this point, I thought I'd
          just come out and ask and see if anyone had any answers (besides, for
          stuff like this, new answers are coming up all the time...)

          Some friends have hired me to design costumes for the burlesque troupe
          they're starting up. I'm having a hard time finding good boas, at a
          price somewhere below ridiculous (I can find good boas, or I can find
          boas relatively cheap...but I have yet to locate good boas for
          relatively cheap prices...)

          Does anyone have a good source for these? I'm pretty sure, in talking
          with the ladies, that they would prefer the ostrich feather, rather
          than turkey feather variety...but at this point, they don't have too
          many options and probably can't really afford to be THAT nit-picky.
          I've been able to find some fairly nice turkey-feather boas locally
          for $30, to give you a reference of what I'm considering 'pricey'. I
          know we bought some for the park, but that was YEARS ago, and at least
          four production managers have passed through our offices and scattered
          paperwork to the Four Winds, so I'm hesitant about my chances of
          finding just who our vendor was...

          Thanks again, in advance, for any assistance! You've all become my
          lifeline when I get these frustrating, last-minute requests...

          --Curtis
        • ~lisa.s
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
            Curtis,

            Maybe. This place: http://www.lynchs.com is "local" for me--the store
            being in suburban Detroit and me being about 60 miles north. I get all
            sorts of things from them, usually via mail order. But never had the
            need for a boa. BUT, in a couple of hours, I'm heading down into the
            city on a massive, "hit every Salvation Army, GoodWill, St. Vincent
            DePaul resale shop possible" mission (I need a size 4X leather men's
            bomber jacket (ideally) or pea coat or black car coat or...what ever I
            can find in a 4X anything)

            One of our other destinations will be Lynch's main store location. I'll
            make a point of looking at their boas--which I need to do anyway because
            the production team I'm part of soon will be putting in a bid to do
            "Gypsy" for a local dinner theater, which will play in rep for a year.
            So any boas/feathers used need to be good quality, too.

            I realized I never got back to you about why I was asking questions
            about glow-in-the-dark makeup. I've always had this idea to use it for a
            ghost effect, but never had a lighting designer/tech director willing to
            mess around with black light fixtures. (the theater at the community
            college where I teach is really just a glorified lecture hall: no fly
            space, fixed (and few) lighting battens. There's little flexibility to
            get too creative with lighting effects). But for our Christmas show
            (which goes up this coming Thursday) I do. So I'm using the makeup,
            greatly thinned down, as a base for my two angels. It workes--even under
            regular stage light, the effect doesn't fade out, but gives them a nice
            subtle glow.

            Your advise is always appreciated. I'll be back in touch, soon.

            Lisa

            --
            ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
          • Aurora Celeste
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
              Here are all my links for feather-like stuff, I'll let you do the price
              searching on your own:

              http://www.tonyhill.net/
              http://www.thefeatherplace.com/
              http://www.zuckerfeather.com/
              http://www.ostrichesonline.com/
              http://www.ostrichfeathers.com
              http://www.azostrich.com/
              http://www.swalefandson.com/
              http://www.ostrichsa.co.za/
              http://www.ostrichemporium.co.za/feathers.htm
              http://www.plumesnfeathers.com/
              http://www.rainbowfeathers.com
              http://www.rainbowfeatherco.com/
              http://www.feather.com.au/
              http://www.greyowlcrafts.com/feathers/wing.htm
              http://www.dickblick.com/zz609/07/

              On Dec 8, 2007 3:59 AM, Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:

              > I'm sure this issue has been discussed before, but rather than spend
              > hours and hours ransacking my old emails, at this point, I thought I'd
              > just come out and ask and see if anyone had any answers (besides, for
              > stuff like this, new answers are coming up all the time...)
              >
              > Some friends have hired me to design costumes for the burlesque troupe
              > they're starting up. I'm having a hard time finding good boas, at a
              > price somewhere below ridiculous (I can find good boas, or I can find
              > boas relatively cheap...but I have yet to locate good boas for
              > relatively cheap prices...)
              >
              > Does anyone have a good source for these? I'm pretty sure, in talking
              > with the ladies, that they would prefer the ostrich feather, rather
              > than turkey feather variety...but at this point, they don't have too
              > many options and probably can't really afford to be THAT nit-picky.
              > I've been able to find some fairly nice turkey-feather boas locally
              > for $30, to give you a reference of what I'm considering 'pricey'. I
              > know we bought some for the park, but that was YEARS ago, and at least
              > four production managers have passed through our offices and scattered
              > paperwork to the Four Winds, so I'm hesitant about my chances of
              > finding just who our vendor was...
              >
              > Thanks again, in advance, for any assistance! You've all become my
              > lifeline when I get these frustrating, last-minute requests...
              >
              > --Curtis
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "~lisa.s" <llsturts@...>
                wrote:

                > One of our other destinations will be Lynch's main store location. I'll
                > make a point of looking at their boas--

                Thanks...I'm hoping that the boxes we've been storing our boas in are
                some that they were originally shipped in, so they'll have a store
                label somewhere...

                > I realized I never got back to you about why I was asking questions
                > about glow-in-the-dark makeup. I've always had this idea to use it for a
                > ghost effect, but never had a lighting designer/tech director willing to
                > mess around with black light fixtures.

                *grin* That's basically the same thing I've used it for...my first
                experience with it was Fruma Sara (sp?) in a production of
                Fiddler...turned out really cool, because they had a wheeled tower
                that she stood on (belted in place so she couldn't tip over or fall
                off), so she looked like she was about 15' tall (the whole tower was
                draped with material to match her dress, so it looked like it
                stretched all the way to the floor, and she was using arm extensions
                to make her look a little more accurately proportioned).

                The second was for a dinner theater production of Zombie Prom...since
                Jonny dies from falling in a vat of radioactive waste before coming
                back as a zombie, we had a LOT of fun (we also sprayed his hair with
                fluorescent hair color, spiked it up...all sorts of odd stuff!) But
                it turned out great.
              • geneiak
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
                  Theatre House in Kentucky has a Chandelle boa at a good price.
                  I used to buy several and twist them together to make a fuller boa.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis" <gckidd@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm sure this issue has been discussed before, but rather than spend
                  > hours and hours ransacking my old emails, at this point, I thought
                  I'd
                  > just come out and ask and see if anyone had any answers (besides,
                  for
                  > stuff like this, new answers are coming up all the time...)
                  >
                  > Some friends have hired me to design costumes for the burlesque
                  troupe
                  > they're starting up. I'm having a hard time finding good boas, at a
                  > price somewhere below ridiculous (I can find good boas, or I can
                  find
                  > boas relatively cheap...but I have yet to locate good boas for
                  > relatively cheap prices...)
                  >
                  > Does anyone have a good source for these? I'm pretty sure, in
                  talking
                  > with the ladies, that they would prefer the ostrich feather, rather
                  > than turkey feather variety...but at this point, they don't have too
                  > many options and probably can't really afford to be THAT nit-picky.
                  > I've been able to find some fairly nice turkey-feather boas locally
                  > for $30, to give you a reference of what I'm considering 'pricey'.
                  > know we bought some for the park, but that was YEARS ago, and at
                  least
                  > four production managers have passed through our offices and
                  scattered
                  > paperwork to the Four Winds, so I'm hesitant about my chances of
                  > finding just who our vendor was...
                  >
                  > Thanks again, in advance, for any assistance! You've all become my
                  > lifeline when I get these frustrating, last-minute requests...
                  >
                  > --Curtis

                • Costume Gallery
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 8, 2007
                    I have bought from Rainbow Feathers in Las Vegas. They are very
                    helpful and the prices were good. Hope this helps.
                    Joy

                    http://www.rainbowfeathers.com/index.htm

                    Costume Gallery
                    638 Monmouth St.
                    Newport, KY 41071
                    859-655-9419
                    www.costumegallery-newport.com

                  • Cheryl McCarron
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2007
                      Hi Curtis,
                      I would suggest Eskay Novelty. They have a wide variety of feathers and colors in boas. (212) 391-4110. www.eskaynovelty.com.

                      Also, FYI, there is a great book called The Entertainment Sourcebook which lists thousands of products and vendors that anyone in the entertainment industry might use. They actually have about a dozen different feather vendors listed. It's a really useful book to have for anyone in the industry. www.entertainmentsourcebook.com.

                      -Cheryl
                      NYC Fabric Finder

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 24, 2010
                        The head of a local dance company contacted me wondering if I had a source for glitter pinstriped material to use for dance costumes. I haven't seen anything yet...but in the past, you've all been massively helpful in tracking down materials and supplies that weren't available through any of my 'normal' channels...

                        So, anyone know of a source for glitter-striped, colored materials that would be appropriate for dance costumes? (Doesn't necessarily have to have a high lycra content, but it does need to be heavy enough to stand up to some pull and twist...)
                      • Expressions
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 24, 2010
                          Don't know if they have what you are looking for but they use to have a lot of glittery fabrics.
                          http://www.theatrehouse.com/category-FabTrim.html
                          Judy

                          The head of a local dance company contacted me wondering if I had a source for glitter pinstriped material to use for dance costumes. I haven't seen anything yet...but in the past, you've all been massively helpful in tracking down materials and supplies that weren't available through any of my 'normal' channels...

                          So, anyone know of a source for glitter-striped, colored materials that would be appropriate for dance costumes? (Doesn't necessarily have to have a high lycra content, but it does need to be heavy enough to stand up to some pull and twist...)

                        • Maggie Baker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 25, 2010
                            I do lots of dance costumes, and I get all my lycra from either of these places:

                            http://www.spandexhouse.com/

                            http://spandexworld.com/

                            They have everything! :)