RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala Costume

  • peggy salvail
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10, 2002
      Last week I purchased for my daughter (no yeah sure
      you did's ok)a Star Wars Paperdoll book at Walmart,
      I'm sure other bookstores would have some too. By the
      way I find the costuming fantastic!!! take care "Sal"

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • BowieGirl1982@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10, 2002
        Becky - is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, or a publisher so I
        can look for it here in the UK

        Ta!

        Jo
      • Angelica Harmon
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10, 2002
          I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I've found that the best place to look for
          Padme's costumes is: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml

          Angelica

          > Becky - is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, or a publisher so
          > can look for it here in the UK
          >
          > Ta!
          >
          > Jo

        • Beckys costumed email
          Message 4 of 27 , May 10, 2002
            --- BowieGirl1982@... wrote:
            > Becky - is there an ISBN number on the paper doll
            > book, or a publisher so I
            > can look for it here in the UK
            >
            > Ta!
            >
            > Jo

            Surely there is! ISBN # 0-375-81508-2 published by
            Random house. Gives a site www.randomhouse.com/kids.

            Becky

            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
            http://launch.yahoo.com
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10, 2002

              > I'm a happy girl. I bought a little book of Queen
              > Amidala Paper dolls at the grocery store. Drawings of
              > the costumes and corresponding still pics! Go to your
              > bookstore!
              >
              > Becky

              http://www.padawansguide.com/padme.shtml

              There is the address - check it out! Some beautiful
              detailed pictures of the costumes! Definitely worth
              looking at!

              -Jessie

              =====
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10, 2002
                heh heh, looks like you all are on the ball and found the
                site, lol. I plan to make just a quick 'n dirty skirt,
                probably not as nicely fitted as Amidala's. I think I may
                just take a simple pattern I have and extend the back into
                a train. I am going to attempt to make a corset in 6 days,
                but if I can't do it, a friend is lending me a gothy
                pleather one that, while not entirely screen-accurate, will
                work. Whoo, tomorrow I shop for fabric!

                -Jessie

                =====
                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                http://launch.yahoo.com
              • Joël Levy
                Message 7 of 27 , May 10, 2002
                  Jo:
                  >is there an ISBN number on the paper doll book, <

                  There are very well done Amidala paperdolls -- with numerous (8 or so)
                  outfits (the authentic ones) -- online at
                  http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/1228/PaperDoll.html

                  Joel
                  Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
                  Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
                  who rules!)
                  mailto:bordercollies@...
                  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
                  Border Collie Temperament Theory
                  http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
                  "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
                  http://www.awaytome.org
                • Joël Levy
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 10, 2002
                    > There are very well done Amidala paperdolls ... online <

                    Oops! Following the terrific URLs everyone else suggested, I see I'm
                    woefully behind the times -- and obviously not a "true" fan. :[

                    Sorry if I wasted everyone's time.

                    Joel
                    Salt & Nan & Gemma (BCs rule!)
                    Chutney, Leonidas, Samoza, Oki Doki Koki & Skeezyx (Cats, and we KNOW
                    who rules!)
                    mailto:bordercollies@...
                    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2922/
                    Border Collie Temperament Theory
                    http://members.aol.com/tempermenttheory/index.html
                    "Living With Border Collies" pamphlet, "Hug" therapy:
                    http://www.awaytome.org
                  • Contessa
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 10, 2002
                      There was no waste of time, your opinion
                      is just as valuable as anyones!!!
                      Thanks for contributing.
                      Contessa

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 11, 2002
                        hello all,
                        If you don't care to hear my 'updates', feel free to delete
                        them, I won't feel bad, honest. hehe, I won't even know
                        :-)

                        I found the fabric today. It's the wierd stiff black
                        fabric that has a neat wet sheen to it. It's not leather
                        like the original is supposedly made of, but it looks a lot
                        like the pictures. I plan to use the same fabric for the
                        skirt, and spray it with this glitter floral spray. The
                        test swatch is looking good :-) There were a lot of good
                        materials in the special occasion department, but
                        definitely none in my budget.

                        I am using a simplicity pattern for the corset, I don't
                        remember the number offhand, 7009 or something like that I
                        think. I dunno, I am working on so many things right now I
                        can't keep the numbers straight. But anyhow, the fabric
                        and lining is cut out. I don't have a close-enough pattern
                        for the skirt and I don't have a personal sloper, so, get
                        ready for this, I am going to attempt to drape it :-0 On
                        myself! 8-0

                        Wish me luck...

                        -Jessie

                        =====
                        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                        http://launch.yahoo.com
                      • Barb Moore
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                          Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                          need to know if it works with all platforms and
                          browsers before I "go live" with it.
                          thanks!

                          http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html

                          barb

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                            Good luck to you Jessie I'd love to see a pic fo the
                            finnished work!!! I don't know much about drapeing but
                            my daughter does, she is attending Fashion Design
                            school and is graduating the end of this mo. When she
                            comes home she teaches em all sorts of neat industry
                            tricks. Take care "Sal" ps i love reading what you
                            are all up to

                            Message 13 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                              Looks good Barb but theres nothing there to see When
                              will you ahve it up and running? "Sal"

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                                gotta have it working first.. :)

                                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                http://launch.yahoo.com
                              • yum-yi
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                                  Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                                  The site works for me! I know that you were only
                                  looking for information about if it worked on
                                  different platforms etc... however I did find the
                                  navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on the
                                  pages)
                                  I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of your
                                  website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                                  live". It's always a bother to go to a site that isnt
                                  ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                                  back.
                                  Good luck!
                                  -Dawn

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 12, 2002
                                    Yup! That's why I sent it to the list. I do this
                                    professionally at a major university! We have learned
                                    never to "go live" until all is ready LOL

                                    --- yum-yi <candyjgirl@...> wrote:
                                    > Cable modem, IE 5.5, 600x800, PC...
                                    > The site works for me! I know that you were only
                                    > looking for information about if it worked on
                                    > different platforms etc... however I did find the
                                    > navigation a bit confusing (the bottom buttons on
                                    > the
                                    > pages)
                                    > I would also suggest making sure you have 90% of
                                    > your
                                    > website (if not 100%) up and ready before "going
                                    > live". It's always a bother to go to a site that
                                    > isnt
                                    > ready for visitors yet, and people tend not to go
                                    > back.
                                    > Good luck!
                                    > -Dawn
                                    >

                                    > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > Would you all please check out my website for me?
                                    > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                                    > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                                    > > thanks!
                                    > >

                                    > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                                    > >
                                    > > barb

                                    LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                    http://launch.yahoo.com
                                  • Paquerette
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                                      Very pretty! I looked at it in Netscape and Mozilla on Debian linux. In
                                      netscape, the text runs a little bit to the left into the side design,
                                      but it stays on the black in Mozilla. However, in Mozilla the button set
                                      at the bottom is a bit separated (looks like he was decapitated!) but it
                                      all stays together in Netscape.

                                      ...And, oddly enough, after I click on one of the buttons and then go
                                      back, the buttons go together properly. Weird.

                                      Let us know when you have it all finished and live! I would like to come
                                      look again.

                                      Jeni.

                                      > --- Barb Moore <renaissance_clothier@...> wrote:
                                      > > Would you all please check out my website for me? I
                                      > > need to know if it works with all platforms and
                                      > > browsers before I "go live" with it.
                                      > > thanks!
                                      > >
                                      > > http://home.attbi.com/~designs_by_tianna/index.html
                                      > >
                                      > > barb
                                    • Siebel San
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 13, 2002
                                        Hello all,

                                        Today's lesson learned the hard way: It is very, very
                                        difficult to fit your own butt...

                                        Well, I have started the skirt today. Unfortunatly, I
                                        cannot impress you all with tales of draping my own body.
                                        I chickened out a bit there. I used a pattern that I have
                                        used with success before, and just narrowed the top a bit
                                        so that is was more fitted around my thighs and knees,
                                        before flaring out. I wish I had used a different fabric
                                        for the skirt, but oh well, I am not gonna cry about it or
                                        go through the ordeal of fitting it again with new fabric.
                                        Until next time...

                                        -Jessie

                                        =====
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 15, 2002
                                          It's done! Woohoo! I haven't had the chance to try on the
                                          whole costume (I need someone to lace me into the corset,
                                          can't reach my own back) but I think it looks pretty cool
                                          for something made in just a few days. I'll be taking
                                          pictures tonight at the theatre with all my friends'
                                          costumes as well. Have a good night you all, and 'have
                                          fun' to anyone else who might be going to the Star Wars
                                          premier :-)
                                          -Jessie

                                          =====
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 23, 2002
                                            Hello all,

                                            The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the front
                                            page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole event
                                            was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman there
                                            dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all dressed as
                                            Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when the
                                            group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i walked
                                            past, but I have to admit it was probably more for the
                                            black leather-look outfit than for me.

                                            Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                            curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                            However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                            them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                            into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                            remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                            seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                            greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!

                                            -Jessie

                                            =====
                                            LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                            http://launch.yahoo.com
                                          • Dana Koga
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                              Jess,
                                              Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as I'm such a novice. But I'm sure all of us would be thrilled to see how your costume came out. Could you post it somewhere so we could see it? I just saw the movie so I'm even more curious.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Dana
                                            • peggy salvail
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                                How great that your costume was a success. Can you
                                                access your paper online? then we could see you on the
                                                Ft. page.
                                                Have you tried washing the curtains and then drying
                                                them? Just a sm piece at first to see what happens.
                                                I've seen old drapes lose this rubberbacking after
                                                being laundered.
                                                My only other suggestion is to line it
                                                EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know what a hassel but if the
                                                material is that neat you might want to consider
                                                it.take care "Sal"

                                                --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                                                > Hello all,
                                                >
                                                > The Amidala costume came out great - I was on the
                                                > front
                                                > page of our local newspaper wearing it! The whole
                                                > event
                                                > was a lot of fun. I think I was the only woman
                                                > there
                                                > dressed as Amidala, other women I saw were all
                                                > dressed as
                                                > Jedis. It was definitely a bit of an ego-boost when
                                                > the
                                                > group of Jedi and Sith lords cheered whenever i
                                                > walked
                                                > past, but I have to admit it was probably more for
                                                > the
                                                > black leather-look outfit than for me.
                                                >
                                                > Anyhow, I have a question. I found some incredible
                                                > old
                                                > curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower
                                                > pattern.
                                                > However, they have this awful rubbery plastic
                                                > backing on
                                                > them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be
                                                > made
                                                > into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea
                                                > how to
                                                > remove that backing without damaging the curtains?
                                                > It
                                                > seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help
                                                > would be
                                                > greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                                >
                                                > -Jessie
                                                >

                                                > =====
                                                > Visit my website!
                                                > www.geocities.com/imaginations_flight/

                                                LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                                                http://launch.yahoo.com
                                              • Julia Logan Trimarco
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 24, 2002
                                                  >From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
                                                  >>Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Amidala and old curtains
                                                  >Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
                                                  I have a question. I found some incredible old
                                                  >curtains - shiny black with a red vine and flower pattern.
                                                  >However, they have this awful rubbery plastic backing on
                                                  >them that makes it impossible for the curtains to be made
                                                  >into any kind of clothing. Does anyone have any idea how to
                                                  >remove that backing without damaging the curtains? It
                                                  >seems to be glued on there pretty good. Any help would be
                                                  >greatly appreciated :-) Thanks much!
                                                  >-Jessie

                                                  the first thing you need to find out is the fiber content of the black
                                                  material. There are several solvents that may take off the backing, but
                                                  until you know the fiber content, they could destroy the fabric, too. Are
                                                  you familiar with burn testing for fiber content?
                                                  Some solvents include dry/cleaning fluid, acetone (or nail polish remover),
                                                  denatured alcohol. Acetone will dissolve acetate. Drycleaning fluid is
                                                  pretty safe on almost anything, but may not work the best.
                                                  My guess is any solvent that works is going to have noxious fumes, so work
                                                  in a well ventilated area AND wear a respirator. You could also ask your
                                                  local drycleaner for advice.