Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Videos of staged plays

  • Shadow's Silk
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 19, 2007
      Actually, that was the first play I ever saw (15) and I still recall the
      excitement and enchantment I had for theatre and will always hold a place in
      my heart. We did Richard III and Shakespeare, either reading or producing,
      holds the same feelings for me.
      So it really depends on the person viewing it as to whether or not they
      become excited about Shakespeare and you either love him or hate him.
      Just the way it goes sometimes.
      I just remembered that the Red Deer College, Arts Program in Alberta, video
      taped Richard III. We produced a more updated script. Easier to understand,
      yet none of the flavour was lost. The director of the program is Darold
      Rolls if you want to inquire. They also have a couple more productions that
      were shown at the movie theatre as well as TV.
      Jacquie

      On 8/18/07, David Juby <djuby@...> wrote:

      > I disagree about your view that Shakespeare, even when well done, cannot
      >
      > excite a young person. Try the Scottish play for instance: murder,
      > deception, betryal
      >
      > >From: Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@... <sylvia%40ntw.net>>
      > >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com<TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Videos of staged plays
      > >Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:35:47 -0600
      > >
      > >This brings up a good discussion, although it is not really
      > >costume-related. I was going to try to stay away from Shakespeare
      > >because if you're a young student who's never seen ANY theatre, even a
      > >good Shakespeare production is probably not going to get you all
      > >excited. I wanted also to stay away from musicals because while they
      > >are certainly theatre, I'd like to try to get them interested in the
      > >magic of theatre without music, spectacle and special effects. Am I
      > >asking too much? Here's a new question: what theatre have you seen,
      > >not including Shakespeare or musicals, that has really been a
      > >wonderful, intense, magical experience for you?
      > >
      > >Sylrog
      > >
      > >On Aug 18, 2007, at 7:22 AM, jeannets wrote:
      > >
      > > > I saw some great productions from the BBC of Shakespeare in the late
      > > > 70's. I wonder if
      > > > those are available anywhere?

    • darkling2b
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 23, 2007
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
        <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone come up with any good videos that have been made of live
        > stage plays? I'd like to show a really good one to my Intro to
        Theatre
        > class as an introduction to the introduction. Something that could
        > possibly get them interested in live theatre for a change. I think
        > lot of these kids take the class to satisfy a basic college
        > requirement.
        >
        > Sylvia Rognstad

        If at all possible, arrange for them to see a LIVE production as early
        as possible in the year. Unless a video of a live play has really
        good production values, it won't have much of an appeal to a
        generation brought up with slick TV and slicker films.