Re: spiderman costume

  • blondiejar
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2002
      Chris,

      I was a propmaker here in Hollywood for several years. The raised
      webs on the movie costume were, in fact, made of foam rubber. They
      were individually hand-glued onto the finished suit to create the
      look you see. The rubber stretches with the movements of the body,
      but inevitably, pieces are bound to come unglued. There is a great
      interview on the Sony.com site with the costume designer. He talks
      about the process used to create the Spidey suit. Basically, the
      solid color fabric was chosen, then the small comb-pattern was
      silkscreened onto it; the pieces were cut and sewn to make the suit;
      the suit was then "muscle-enhanced"; next, the muscles were
      highlighted by airbrushing the contours of the muscles; the foam
      rubber webbing was applied to the suit; finally, the entire suit
      was "weathered" - meaning it was darkened and beaten up to look used
      and aged (this is done with various paints, sandpaper, etc).

      Creating your own costume similar to the movie suit is certainly a
      feasible task. I am planning on making my own for Halloween this
      year. But keep in mind, rumors circulated about the cost of each
      suit (over 20 were made for the film) - I heard an estimated $100,000
      per suit. This may sound outrageous (and it is), but considering how
      important the look of the character is, it's easy to see where the
      money went. If you are interested in knowing where you can find foam
      rubber supplies and other materials, let me know. I am going to be
      doing some research in the coming weeks/months. Good luck with your
      costume.

      Craig

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "jamison021" <hereandthere16@a...>

      http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/pictures/spiderman_costume2.jpg