Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Pirate Hat

  • Elizabeth Elwell
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hi Allison,

      The simplest way to make a pirates "Tricorn" or three sided hat is to
      head for your local millinery supplier and ask for a cheap wool felt
      "capeline" ("cap-eh-leen"). It's a wide-brimmed floppy felt hat.

      You get the shape by either steaming and stiffening the 3 turned-up
      sides of the hat with a chemical size that you paint on (do this
      outside in a well-ventilated area as the stuff is very heady, and can
      be carcinogenic if you're not careful), or really simply folding the
      sides up and stitching them in place with a single stitch between the
      flap and the crown.

      You can then finish the hat by sewing or hot-glueing some black or
      gold trim around the outside edge of the brim (If you want to sew it
      on, do it before you sew up the sides, actually! Sew to the underside
      of course while the brim is flat as this becomes the outside. Sorry,
      brain in low gear today...). You can then poke some soft ostritch
      feathers in around the crown so you get a hint of them through the
      gaps. Hot glue these in place if you like too!

      I hope this helps,

      Regards,
      Bess.
      --
      Cote & Cutler Outfitters
      Historic Clothing, Accessories & Fine Fabrics

      Ph: +61 2 4782 7394

      On 07/08/2007, at 4:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:

      > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
      > the corset. I didn't
      > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there
      > weren't many women
      > pirates.
      >
      > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
      > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
      > <sylvia@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
      > > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
      > > costume?
      > >
      > > Sylrog
      > >
      > > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
      > > > complete. It looks
      > > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made
      > a hat
      > > > using the Mcalls pattern
      > > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had
      > any
      > > > suggestions. a better
      > > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they
      > really
      > > > like and can give me
      > > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
      > > >
      > > > Allison

    • Susan Cassidy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
        There’s a nice black velvet ladies pirate mask on ebay for about $20 that
        might be interesting. Maybe even a brown leather-type would like good with
        your bronze taffeta skirt, too.

        _____

        Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under the
        corset. I didn't
        think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't many
        women
        pirates.

        http://s4.photobuck
        <http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?>
        et.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
        action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg

        Any ideas?

        --- In TheCostumersManifes <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
        to@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
        > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
        > costume?
        >
        > Sylrog
        >
        > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
        >
        > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
        > > complete. It looks
        > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
        > > using the Mcalls pattern
        > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
        > > suggestions. a better
        > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
        > > like and can give me
        > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
        > >
        > > Allison

      • eponadrawslines
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
          Just a suggestion, but you could wear a scarf/sash around your head
          and add beads. Looks good with/without a tricorn hat. Add some large
          hoop earrings and that will look more piratey.

          > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
          the corset. I didn't think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat"
          considering there weren't many women pirates.
        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Allison Pace"
            <allison@...> wrote:

            > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
            complete. It looks
            > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a
            hat using the Mcalls pattern
            > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
            suggestions. a better
            > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
            like and can give me
            > some tips. I would really appreciate it.

            I had to come up with a couple of different hats for a show last year
            (it's one of our regular Halloween shows, but we redesigned the
            costumes so everything had a 16th-18th century feel--one was kind of
            Colonial, and the other was kind of a sailor-ish look). Lady
            MacSnood, an eBay store, has 'wagon wheel' hat blanks that were easily
            steamed into the right shapes (one was a tricorn, the other was
            loosely a bicorn, though we didn't really take it to the pointed edge
            that is common for that style). They'd also work well as a starting
            point for a musketeer-style hat.