Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Scuff removers?

  • Costume Gallery
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
      We use Mr Clean Eraser on our white shoes.

      On Aug 5, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Anne Redish wrote:

      > Have you tried something basic like .. Baking soda paste with a bit
      > of detergent (or whatever 'solvent' that the surface with tolerate..
      > like Mr Clean) in it? or Toothpaste .. try different kinds. .. or
      > VIM ...cream or gel ... make-up remover? facial scrub?? ?? Some
      > things are great for applications other than what they were made
      > for! I guess it depends if the scuff is ON the surface or has gone
      > through the surface of the item. I use baking soda or toothpaste for
      > scuffs on the car all the time! It's easy on the surface, but gets
      > off many little rubs from other things .. even other car paint from
      > door scuffs.
      > Let us know what works for your boots and the 'heels' ;) that are
      > marking them!
      >
      > Anne Redish
      > Department of Drama,
      > Queen's University,
      > Kingston, Ontario
      > 613-533-6000 x75359
      > 483-3245 cell
      > ar11@...

    • Cactusneedle
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
        When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot, at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.

        Cactus

        Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
        I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
        use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
        called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
        the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
        for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
        can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
        most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
        thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
        on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
        I'd use it).

        Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
        for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
        actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
        I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
        drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
        tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
        in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
        the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
        toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
        dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
        damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...

        Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!

        --Curtis

        " Cactusneedle "

      • Costume Gallery
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
          We use "Mr. Clean eraser" to clean our boots. I don't think it's
          eating the vinyl. Now, I'll have to go check.
          Joy
          Costume Gallery
          638 Monmouth St.
          Newport, KY 41071
          859-655-9419
          costumegallery@...
          www.costumegallery-newport.com

          On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Cactusneedle wrote:

          > When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail
          > polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying
          > white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot,
          > at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder
          > polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the
          > finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.
          >
          > Cactus
          >
          > Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
          > I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
          > use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
          > called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
          > the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
          > for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
          > can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
          > most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
          > thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
          > on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
          > I'd use it).
          >
          > Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
          > for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
          > actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
          > I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
          > drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
          > tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
          > in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
          > the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
          > toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
          > dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
          > damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...
          >
          > Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!
          >
          > --Curtis
          >
          > " Cactusneedle "

        • bearhedded
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
            What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck up the vinyl.
            Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential scuffs at bay.

            * I was down to my last chip-brush, once, and removed epoxy resin from it 3 or 4 times
            with the stuff! Amazing!

          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
              <bearhedded@...> wrote:

              > What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck
              up the vinyl.
              > Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential
              scuffs at bay.

              I may have to try that. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I
              went to the store yesterday and loaded up with stuff to try out.
              Here's the results--

              Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--The sponge started coming apart without making
              any real impact at all on the scuff marks. Gave up on that one at
              that point.

              Bon Ami--was only effective on light surface scuffs--the kind I could
              rub out with my fingertips. Because of this, I never got around to
              trying the baking soda, I couldn't imagine it would have been that
              much more effective.

              WD-40--It may be useful for cleaning scuffmarks off counters and
              floors, but it didn't do anything to the boots.

              Toothpaste--was quite effective on about a third of the scuffs,
              usually the ones on the heels where there was a good, solid surface
              against which to press. Deeper scuffs were absolutely unaffected.

              Nail Polish Remover--I used the non-acetone type, because I've seen
              what acetone does to those boots. It was actually quite
              effective...it had the unfortunate side effect of slightly puckering
              the vinyl where it had been applied, and left a slightly tacky texture
              to the surface (which was, incidentally, easily treated with either
              Bon Ami or the toothpaste). In areas where the scuffs had penetrated
              the outer layer of the vinyl, it actually started peeling the outer
              layer away--but I was equipped to deal with that (my cobbler suggested
              using automotive touchup paint...the kind that comes in the small
              bottles with the built-in brush applicator...because of the variety of
              colors available and the ease of application. The enamel finish also
              served to kind of glue down some of the loose edges around the scuffs).

              Had they been leather shoes, I'm sure results would have varied...the
              problem with scuffs on vinyl, aside from the relatively fragile nature
              of the surface to clean, is that anytime you rub something against a
              plastic surface hard enough to leave a scuff, the friction of the
              contact has a good chance of fusing the scuff material into the
              surface. Leather reacts differently...and would also tolerate more
              vigorous scrubbing, as well as not puckering under the nail polish
              remover.

              I might try Goop...it is, after all, designed to do the same sort of
              stuff I was initially using Thoro for, so it may prove as versatile
              (even if it doesn't work as a scuff remover, the tip about cleaning
              brushes with it is good to know! One of my regular freelance gigs is
              scenic art...)

              Thanks again, all!