Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Pirate Hat

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
      What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
      used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
      costume?

      Sylrog

      On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:

      > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
      > complete. It looks
      > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
      > using the Mcalls pattern
      > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
      > suggestions. a better
      > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
      > like and can give me
      > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
      >
      > Allison

    • Allison Pace
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
        Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under the corset. I didn't
        think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't many women
        pirates.

        http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
        action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg

        Any ideas?

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
        > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
        > costume?
        >
        > Sylrog
        >
        > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
        >
        > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
        > > complete. It looks
        > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
        > > using the Mcalls pattern
        > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
        > > suggestions. a better
        > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
        > > like and can give me
        > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
        > >
        > > Allison

      • Diana
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
          That's very nice!
          My favorite hat is a black felt hat (from JC Penney's of all places)
          that I pinned up on one side and then added feathers.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/133100315/in/set-72157594156857316/

          I've had good luck with most costume/party stores lately because of
          the success of <i>Pirates of the Caribbean</i>. This one is from one
          of the online stores.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/407885831/in/set-72157594156857316/

          I found this one at a science fiction convention and again added feathers.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/453164737/in/set-72157594156857316/

          Good luck!

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Allison Pace"
          <allison@...> wrote:

          > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
          the corset. I didn't
          > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there
          weren't many women
          > pirates.
          >
          > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
          > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
          >
          > Any ideas?
        • Elizabeth Elwell
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
            Hi Allison,

            The simplest way to make a pirates "Tricorn" or three sided hat is to
            head for your local millinery supplier and ask for a cheap wool felt
            "capeline" ("cap-eh-leen"). It's a wide-brimmed floppy felt hat.

            You get the shape by either steaming and stiffening the 3 turned-up
            sides of the hat with a chemical size that you paint on (do this
            outside in a well-ventilated area as the stuff is very heady, and can
            be carcinogenic if you're not careful), or really simply folding the
            sides up and stitching them in place with a single stitch between the
            flap and the crown.

            You can then finish the hat by sewing or hot-glueing some black or
            gold trim around the outside edge of the brim (If you want to sew it
            on, do it before you sew up the sides, actually! Sew to the underside
            of course while the brim is flat as this becomes the outside. Sorry,
            brain in low gear today...). You can then poke some soft ostritch
            feathers in around the crown so you get a hint of them through the
            gaps. Hot glue these in place if you like too!

            I hope this helps,

            Regards,
            Bess.
            --
            Cote & Cutler Outfitters
            Historic Clothing, Accessories & Fine Fabrics

            Ph: +61 2 4782 7394

            On 07/08/2007, at 4:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:

            > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
            > the corset. I didn't
            > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there
            > weren't many women
            > pirates.
            >
            > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
            > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
            > <sylvia@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
            > > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
            > > costume?
            > >
            > > Sylrog
            > >
            > > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
            > > > complete. It looks
            > > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made
            > a hat
            > > > using the Mcalls pattern
            > > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had
            > any
            > > > suggestions. a better
            > > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they
            > really
            > > > like and can give me
            > > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
            > > >
            > > > Allison

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
              There aren't any real women's pirate costumes either. That's why I was
              wondering if your costume was a man's. Then I realized this isn't the
              Historic Costuming email list so it was probably a fantasy costume.
              Took a look at your photo. It's awesome. I take it you don't want to
              wear a tricorne?

              Sylrog

              On Aug 6, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Allison Pace wrote:

              > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
              > the corset. I didn't
              > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't
              > many women
              > pirates.
              >
              > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
              > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
              > <sylvia@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
              > > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
              > > costume?
              > >
              > > Sylrog
              > >
              > > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
              > > > complete. It looks
              > > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a
              > hat
              > > > using the Mcalls pattern
              > > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had
              > any
              > > > suggestions. a better
              > > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they
              > really
              > > > like and can give me
              > > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
              > > >
              > > > Allison

            • Susan Cassidy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
                There’s a nice black velvet ladies pirate mask on ebay for about $20 that
                might be interesting. Maybe even a brown leather-type would like good with
                your bronze taffeta skirt, too.

                _____

                Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under the
                corset. I didn't
                think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't many
                women
                pirates.

                http://s4.photobuck
                <http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?>
                et.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
                action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg

                Any ideas?

                --- In TheCostumersManifes <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
                to@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
                > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
                > costume?
                >
                > Sylrog
                >
                > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
                >
                > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
                > > complete. It looks
                > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
                > > using the Mcalls pattern
                > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
                > > suggestions. a better
                > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
                > > like and can give me
                > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
                > >
                > > Allison

              • eponadrawslines
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
                  Just a suggestion, but you could wear a scarf/sash around your head
                  and add beads. Looks good with/without a tricorn hat. Add some large
                  hoop earrings and that will look more piratey.

                  > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
                  the corset. I didn't think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat"
                  considering there weren't many women pirates.
                • Curtis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                    <allison@...> wrote:

                    > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
                    complete. It looks
                    > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a
                    hat using the Mcalls pattern
                    > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
                    suggestions. a better
                    > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
                    like and can give me
                    > some tips. I would really appreciate it.

                    I had to come up with a couple of different hats for a show last year
                    (it's one of our regular Halloween shows, but we redesigned the
                    costumes so everything had a 16th-18th century feel--one was kind of
                    Colonial, and the other was kind of a sailor-ish look). Lady
                    MacSnood, an eBay store, has 'wagon wheel' hat blanks that were easily
                    steamed into the right shapes (one was a tricorn, the other was
                    loosely a bicorn, though we didn't really take it to the pointed edge
                    that is common for that style). They'd also work well as a starting
                    point for a musketeer-style hat.