Pirate Hat

  • Allison Pace
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is complete. It looks
      amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat using the Mcalls pattern
      4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. a better
      pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really like and can give me
      some tips. I would really appreciate it.

      Allison
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
        What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
        used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
        costume?

        Sylrog

        On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:

        > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
        > complete. It looks
        > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
        > using the Mcalls pattern
        > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
        > suggestions. a better
        > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
        > like and can give me
        > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
        >
        > Allison

      • Allison Pace
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
          Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under the corset. I didn't
          think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't many women
          pirates.

          http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
          action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg

          Any ideas?

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

          > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
          > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
          > costume?
          >
          > Sylrog
          >
          > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
          >
          > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
          > > complete. It looks
          > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
          > > using the Mcalls pattern
          > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
          > > suggestions. a better
          > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
          > > like and can give me
          > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
          > >
          > > Allison

        • Diana
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
            That's very nice!
            My favorite hat is a black felt hat (from JC Penney's of all places)
            that I pinned up on one side and then added feathers.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/133100315/in/set-72157594156857316/

            I've had good luck with most costume/party stores lately because of
            the success of <i>Pirates of the Caribbean</i>. This one is from one
            of the online stores.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/407885831/in/set-72157594156857316/

            I found this one at a science fiction convention and again added feathers.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/artvixn/453164737/in/set-72157594156857316/

            Good luck!

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Allison Pace"
            <allison@...> wrote:

            > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
            the corset. I didn't
            > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there
            weren't many women
            > pirates.
            >
            > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
            > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
            >
            > Any ideas?
          • Elizabeth Elwell
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
              Hi Allison,

              The simplest way to make a pirates "Tricorn" or three sided hat is to
              head for your local millinery supplier and ask for a cheap wool felt
              "capeline" ("cap-eh-leen"). It's a wide-brimmed floppy felt hat.

              You get the shape by either steaming and stiffening the 3 turned-up
              sides of the hat with a chemical size that you paint on (do this
              outside in a well-ventilated area as the stuff is very heady, and can
              be carcinogenic if you're not careful), or really simply folding the
              sides up and stitching them in place with a single stitch between the
              flap and the crown.

              You can then finish the hat by sewing or hot-glueing some black or
              gold trim around the outside edge of the brim (If you want to sew it
              on, do it before you sew up the sides, actually! Sew to the underside
              of course while the brim is flat as this becomes the outside. Sorry,
              brain in low gear today...). You can then poke some soft ostritch
              feathers in around the crown so you get a hint of them through the
              gaps. Hot glue these in place if you like too!

              I hope this helps,

              Regards,
              Bess.
              --
              Cote & Cutler Outfitters
              Historic Clothing, Accessories & Fine Fabrics

              Ph: +61 2 4782 7394

              On 07/08/2007, at 4:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:

              > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
              > the corset. I didn't
              > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there
              > weren't many women
              > pirates.
              >
              > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
              > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >
              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
              > <sylvia@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
              > > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
              > > costume?
              > >
              > > Sylrog
              > >
              > > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
              > > > complete. It looks
              > > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made
              > a hat
              > > > using the Mcalls pattern
              > > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had
              > any
              > > > suggestions. a better
              > > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they
              > really
              > > > like and can give me
              > > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
              > > >
              > > > Allison

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
                There aren't any real women's pirate costumes either. That's why I was
                wondering if your costume was a man's. Then I realized this isn't the
                Historic Costuming email list so it was probably a fantasy costume.
                Took a look at your photo. It's awesome. I take it you don't want to
                wear a tricorne?

                Sylrog

                On Aug 6, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Allison Pace wrote:

                > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
                > the corset. I didn't
                > think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't
                > many women
                > pirates.
                >
                > http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
                > action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                > <sylvia@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
                > > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
                > > costume?
                > >
                > > Sylrog
                > >
                > > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
                > > > complete. It looks
                > > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a
                > hat
                > > > using the Mcalls pattern
                > > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had
                > any
                > > > suggestions. a better
                > > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they
                > really
                > > > like and can give me
                > > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
                > > >
                > > > Allison

              • Susan Cassidy
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
                  There’s a nice black velvet ladies pirate mask on ebay for about $20 that
                  might be interesting. Maybe even a brown leather-type would like good with
                  your bronze taffeta skirt, too.

                  _____

                  Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under the
                  corset. I didn't
                  think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat" considering there weren't many
                  women
                  pirates.

                  http://s4.photobuck
                  <http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?>
                  et.com/albums/y135/asparham/ACEN%2007/?
                  action=view¤t=P1000082.jpg

                  Any ideas?

                  --- In TheCostumersManifes <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
                  to@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                  > What does your costume look like? I've only ever seen that type hat
                  > used with mensweaar. Are you wearing a man's or woman's pirate
                  > costume?
                  >
                  > Sylrog
                  >
                  > On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Allison Pace wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
                  > > complete. It looks
                  > > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a hat
                  > > using the Mcalls pattern
                  > > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
                  > > suggestions. a better
                  > > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
                  > > like and can give me
                  > > some tips. I would really appreciate it.
                  > >
                  > > Allison

                • eponadrawslines
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2007
                    Just a suggestion, but you could wear a scarf/sash around your head
                    and add beads. Looks good with/without a tricorn hat. Add some large
                    hoop earrings and that will look more piratey.

                    > Here is a link to my costume, I am also wearing a black shirt under
                    the corset. I didn't think that there was a "woman's Pirate hat"
                    considering there weren't many women pirates.
                  • Curtis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                      <allison@...> wrote:

                      > Hey everyone... Gearing up for the pirate party and my costume is
                      complete. It looks
                      > amazing, but I feel it is really lacking without a hat. I made a
                      hat using the Mcalls pattern
                      > 4805. I am not in love with it, and was wondering if anyone had any
                      suggestions. a better
                      > pattern, or hopefully someone who has a pirate hat that they really
                      like and can give me
                      > some tips. I would really appreciate it.

                      I had to come up with a couple of different hats for a show last year
                      (it's one of our regular Halloween shows, but we redesigned the
                      costumes so everything had a 16th-18th century feel--one was kind of
                      Colonial, and the other was kind of a sailor-ish look). Lady
                      MacSnood, an eBay store, has 'wagon wheel' hat blanks that were easily
                      steamed into the right shapes (one was a tricorn, the other was
                      loosely a bicorn, though we didn't really take it to the pointed edge
                      that is common for that style). They'd also work well as a starting
                      point for a musketeer-style hat.