RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Scuff removers?

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
      >>, maybe try the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge thing--I used to to clean
      all sorts of grung off a couple yard sale bean bag chairs. As usual,
      test carefully--it's abrasive, but not overly so.

      I love those sponges, but go-go boot fabric is so delicate, I'd think that
      the sponge would shred it. Hard core vinyl that's heavily backed, yes....
      but not something with a more delicate surface.

      -Cat-

    • Anne Redish
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
        Have you tried something basic like .. Baking soda paste with a bit
        of detergent (or whatever 'solvent' that the surface with tolerate..
        like Mr Clean) in it? or Toothpaste .. try different kinds. .. or
        VIM ...cream or gel ... make-up remover? facial scrub?? ?? Some
        things are great for applications other than what they were made
        for! I guess it depends if the scuff is ON the surface or has gone
        through the surface of the item. I use baking soda or toothpaste for
        scuffs on the car all the time! It's easy on the surface, but gets
        off many little rubs from other things .. even other car paint from
        door scuffs.
        Let us know what works for your boots and the 'heels' ;) that are
        marking them!

        Anne Redish
        Department of Drama,
        Queen's University,
        Kingston, Ontario
        613-533-6000 x75359
        483-3245 cell
        ar11@...
      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
          In a message dated 8/4/2007 1:02:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          gckidd@... writes:

          It wasn't fantastic, but it took
          most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots

          Have you tried fingernail polish remover? Try both the acetone and none
          acetone types, and use a Q-tip.

          And then there is the all time favorite for just about everything.....WD-40.
          Removing scuff marks is listed on the can as one of the uses. Besides a
          spray can, you can get it in something that looks and works like a marker. I
          use one to remove goo that gets on my sewing machine needle when I sew with
          sticky back stabilizers.

          As a preventative, try coating the black heels and soles with something
          clear and sturdy like a polyurethane to prevent the scuffs in the first place. I
          remember doing something like this when the DD's were little and had white
          dress shoes, I used clear fingernail polish, but I am sure there is something
          out there that comes in larger quantities and therefore less cost.

          Alexa

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
            We use Mr Clean Eraser on our white shoes.

            On Aug 5, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Anne Redish wrote:

            > Have you tried something basic like .. Baking soda paste with a bit
            > of detergent (or whatever 'solvent' that the surface with tolerate..
            > like Mr Clean) in it? or Toothpaste .. try different kinds. .. or
            > VIM ...cream or gel ... make-up remover? facial scrub?? ?? Some
            > things are great for applications other than what they were made
            > for! I guess it depends if the scuff is ON the surface or has gone
            > through the surface of the item. I use baking soda or toothpaste for
            > scuffs on the car all the time! It's easy on the surface, but gets
            > off many little rubs from other things .. even other car paint from
            > door scuffs.
            > Let us know what works for your boots and the 'heels' ;) that are
            > marking them!
            >
            > Anne Redish
            > Department of Drama,
            > Queen's University,
            > Kingston, Ontario
            > 613-533-6000 x75359
            > 483-3245 cell
            > ar11@...

          • Cactusneedle
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
              When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot, at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.

              Cactus

              Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
              I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
              use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
              called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
              the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
              for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
              can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
              most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
              thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
              on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
              I'd use it).

              Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
              for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
              actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
              I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
              drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
              tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
              in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
              the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
              toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
              dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
              damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...

              Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!

              --Curtis

              " Cactusneedle "

            • Costume Gallery
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                We use "Mr. Clean eraser" to clean our boots. I don't think it's
                eating the vinyl. Now, I'll have to go check.
                Joy
                Costume Gallery
                638 Monmouth St.
                Newport, KY 41071
                859-655-9419
                costumegallery@...
                www.costumegallery-newport.com

                On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Cactusneedle wrote:

                > When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail
                > polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying
                > white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot,
                > at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder
                > polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the
                > finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.
                >
                > Cactus
                >
                > Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
                > I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
                > use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
                > called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
                > the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
                > for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
                > can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
                > most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
                > thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
                > on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
                > I'd use it).
                >
                > Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
                > for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
                > actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
                > I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
                > drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
                > tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
                > in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
                > the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
                > toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
                > dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
                > damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...
                >
                > Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!
                >
                > --Curtis
                >
                > " Cactusneedle "

              • bearhedded
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                  What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck up the vinyl.
                  Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential scuffs at bay.

                  * I was down to my last chip-brush, once, and removed epoxy resin from it 3 or 4 times
                  with the stuff! Amazing!

                • Curtis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
                    <bearhedded@...> wrote:

                    > What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck
                    up the vinyl.
                    > Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential
                    scuffs at bay.

                    I may have to try that. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I
                    went to the store yesterday and loaded up with stuff to try out.
                    Here's the results--

                    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--The sponge started coming apart without making
                    any real impact at all on the scuff marks. Gave up on that one at
                    that point.

                    Bon Ami--was only effective on light surface scuffs--the kind I could
                    rub out with my fingertips. Because of this, I never got around to
                    trying the baking soda, I couldn't imagine it would have been that
                    much more effective.

                    WD-40--It may be useful for cleaning scuffmarks off counters and
                    floors, but it didn't do anything to the boots.

                    Toothpaste--was quite effective on about a third of the scuffs,
                    usually the ones on the heels where there was a good, solid surface
                    against which to press. Deeper scuffs were absolutely unaffected.

                    Nail Polish Remover--I used the non-acetone type, because I've seen
                    what acetone does to those boots. It was actually quite
                    effective...it had the unfortunate side effect of slightly puckering
                    the vinyl where it had been applied, and left a slightly tacky texture
                    to the surface (which was, incidentally, easily treated with either
                    Bon Ami or the toothpaste). In areas where the scuffs had penetrated
                    the outer layer of the vinyl, it actually started peeling the outer
                    layer away--but I was equipped to deal with that (my cobbler suggested
                    using automotive touchup paint...the kind that comes in the small
                    bottles with the built-in brush applicator...because of the variety of
                    colors available and the ease of application. The enamel finish also
                    served to kind of glue down some of the loose edges around the scuffs).

                    Had they been leather shoes, I'm sure results would have varied...the
                    problem with scuffs on vinyl, aside from the relatively fragile nature
                    of the surface to clean, is that anytime you rub something against a
                    plastic surface hard enough to leave a scuff, the friction of the
                    contact has a good chance of fusing the scuff material into the
                    surface. Leather reacts differently...and would also tolerate more
                    vigorous scrubbing, as well as not puckering under the nail polish
                    remover.

                    I might try Goop...it is, after all, designed to do the same sort of
                    stuff I was initially using Thoro for, so it may prove as versatile
                    (even if it doesn't work as a scuff remover, the tip about cleaning
                    brushes with it is good to know! One of my regular freelance gigs is
                    scenic art...)

                    Thanks again, all!