Scuff removers?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
      I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
      use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
      called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
      the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
      for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
      can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
      most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
      thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
      on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
      I'd use it).

      Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
      for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
      actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
      I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
      drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
      tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
      in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
      the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
      toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
      dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
      damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...

      Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!

      --Curtis
    • Aurora Celeste
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
        For minor scuffs, rubbing alcohol works well. For more major scuffs we use
        acetone, but be sure to wear gloves and do it outside.

        On 8/4/07, Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:

        > I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
        > use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
        > called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
        > the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
        > for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
        > can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
        > most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
        > thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
        > on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
        > I'd use it).
        >
        > Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
        > for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
        > actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
        > I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
        > drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
        > tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
        > in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
        > the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
        > toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
        > dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
        > damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...
        >
        > Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!
        >
        > --Curtis
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Susan Cassidy
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
          I haven't tried this, but since those Mr. Clean "Magic Erasers" for
          housecleaning work so well on scuff marks on walls and doors, they might be
          worth a swipe to see if they might lift those marks on your boots.

          _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
              Curtis, maybe try the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge thing--I used to to clean
              all sorts of grung off a couple yard sale bean bag chairs. As usual,
              test carefully--it's abrasive, but not overly so. If it doesn't work,
              it's a great thing to use to get those mystery marks that appear, out of
              no, where on walls...

              ~lisa.s

              --
              ~lisa.s * llsturtsATgreatlakesDOTnet
            • Cat Devereaux
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2007
                >>, maybe try the Mr. Clean Magic Sponge thing--I used to to clean
                all sorts of grung off a couple yard sale bean bag chairs. As usual,
                test carefully--it's abrasive, but not overly so.

                I love those sponges, but go-go boot fabric is so delicate, I'd think that
                the sponge would shred it. Hard core vinyl that's heavily backed, yes....
                but not something with a more delicate surface.

                -Cat-

              • Anne Redish
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
                  Have you tried something basic like .. Baking soda paste with a bit
                  of detergent (or whatever 'solvent' that the surface with tolerate..
                  like Mr Clean) in it? or Toothpaste .. try different kinds. .. or
                  VIM ...cream or gel ... make-up remover? facial scrub?? ?? Some
                  things are great for applications other than what they were made
                  for! I guess it depends if the scuff is ON the surface or has gone
                  through the surface of the item. I use baking soda or toothpaste for
                  scuffs on the car all the time! It's easy on the surface, but gets
                  off many little rubs from other things .. even other car paint from
                  door scuffs.
                  Let us know what works for your boots and the 'heels' ;) that are
                  marking them!

                  Anne Redish
                  Department of Drama,
                  Queen's University,
                  Kingston, Ontario
                  613-533-6000 x75359
                  483-3245 cell
                  ar11@...
                • Alexadbw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
                    In a message dated 8/4/2007 1:02:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    gckidd@... writes:

                    It wasn't fantastic, but it took
                    most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots

                    Have you tried fingernail polish remover? Try both the acetone and none
                    acetone types, and use a Q-tip.

                    And then there is the all time favorite for just about everything.....WD-40.
                    Removing scuff marks is listed on the can as one of the uses. Besides a
                    spray can, you can get it in something that looks and works like a marker. I
                    use one to remove goo that gets on my sewing machine needle when I sew with
                    sticky back stabilizers.

                    As a preventative, try coating the black heels and soles with something
                    clear and sturdy like a polyurethane to prevent the scuffs in the first place. I
                    remember doing something like this when the DD's were little and had white
                    dress shoes, I used clear fingernail polish, but I am sure there is something
                    out there that comes in larger quantities and therefore less cost.

                    Alexa

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2007
                      We use Mr Clean Eraser on our white shoes.

                      On Aug 5, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Anne Redish wrote:

                      > Have you tried something basic like .. Baking soda paste with a bit
                      > of detergent (or whatever 'solvent' that the surface with tolerate..
                      > like Mr Clean) in it? or Toothpaste .. try different kinds. .. or
                      > VIM ...cream or gel ... make-up remover? facial scrub?? ?? Some
                      > things are great for applications other than what they were made
                      > for! I guess it depends if the scuff is ON the surface or has gone
                      > through the surface of the item. I use baking soda or toothpaste for
                      > scuffs on the car all the time! It's easy on the surface, but gets
                      > off many little rubs from other things .. even other car paint from
                      > door scuffs.
                      > Let us know what works for your boots and the 'heels' ;) that are
                      > marking them!
                      >
                      > Anne Redish
                      > Department of Drama,
                      > Queen's University,
                      > Kingston, Ontario
                      > 613-533-6000 x75359
                      > 483-3245 cell
                      > ar11@...

                    • Cactusneedle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                        When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot, at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.

                        Cactus

                        Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
[...]

                        " Cactusneedle "

                      • Costume Gallery
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                          We use "Mr. Clean eraser" to clean our boots. I don't think it's
                          eating the vinyl. Now, I'll have to go check.
                          Joy
                          Costume Gallery
                          638 Monmouth St.
                          Newport, KY 41071
                          859-655-9419
                          costumegallery@...
                          www.costumegallery-newport.com

                          On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Cactusneedle wrote:

                          > When I waitressed years ago and wore white shoes, I used fingernail
                          > polish remover to clean my shoes instead of constantly applying
                          > white shoe polish. I wonder if the polish remover without (shoot,
                          > at work and can't think of the word! lol)... anyway, the milder
                          > polish remover, would also work as well and be kinder to the
                          > finish. I didn't notice any problems with drying out either.
                          >
                          > Cactus
                          >
                          > Curtis <gckidd@...> wrote:
                          > I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for a product I used to
                          > use to remove scuffs from go-go boots. The old product I was using is
                          > called Thoro...no longer on the market because the owner/operator of
                          > the company that produces it is appealing a six-year prison sentence
                          > for violating EPA storage guidelines (astonishing, the information you
                          > can find on the internet sometimes). It wasn't fantastic, but it took
                          > most scuffs off without eating the vinyl of the boots (which lacquer
                          > thinner would do, even though it took off every scuff I tried it
                          > on...I just had to get very selective about which boots and how often
                          > I'd use it).
                          >
                          > Does anybody here have any secrets they've discovered over the years
                          > for taking scuff marks off shoes? Especially something that's
                          > actually relatively easy to locate in stores? The next-best thing
                          > I've tried is Dyo brand Spot Remover, but I'm down to my last few
                          > drops of that, as well, and can't find another source for it (I even
                          > tried emailing Dyo directly and asking them if they had a distributor
                          > in this area, but haven't heard anything back from them). Granted,
                          > the ideal solution would be to teach the dancers to not drag their
                          > toes and not kick the side of their other foot when they were
                          > dancing...but that's not likely to happen any time soon, and the
                          > damage is already done. *grin* Call it job security, I guess...
                          >
                          > Thanks, in advance, to anyone who's got any suggestions!
                          >
                          > --Curtis
                          >
                          > " Cactusneedle "

                        • bearhedded
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 6, 2007
                            What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck up the vinyl.
                            Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential scuffs at bay.

                            * I was down to my last chip-brush, once, and removed epoxy resin from it 3 or 4 times
                            with the stuff! Amazing!

                          • Curtis
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7, 2007
                              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "bearhedded"
                              <bearhedded@...> wrote:

                              > What about Goop? It cuts through nearly ANYTHING*, and won't muck
                              up the vinyl.
                              > Also, a hit on all the boots of neutral polish, might keep potential
                              scuffs at bay.

                              I may have to try that. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I
                              went to the store yesterday and loaded up with stuff to try out.
                              Here's the results--

                              Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--The sponge started coming apart without making
                              any real impact at all on the scuff marks. Gave up on that one at
                              that point.

                              Bon Ami--was only effective on light surface scuffs--the kind I could
                              rub out with my fingertips. Because of this, I never got around to
                              trying the baking soda, I couldn't imagine it would have been that
                              much more effective.

                              WD-40--It may be useful for cleaning scuffmarks off counters and
                              floors, but it didn't do anything to the boots.

                              Toothpaste--was quite effective on about a third of the scuffs,
                              usually the ones on the heels where there was a good, solid surface
                              against which to press. Deeper scuffs were absolutely unaffected.

                              Nail Polish Remover--I used the non-acetone type, because I've seen
                              what acetone does to those boots. It was actually quite
                              effective...it had the unfortunate side effect of slightly puckering
                              the vinyl where it had been applied, and left a slightly tacky texture
                              to the surface (which was, incidentally, easily treated with either
                              Bon Ami or the toothpaste). In areas where the scuffs had penetrated
                              the outer layer of the vinyl, it actually started peeling the outer
                              layer away--but I was equipped to deal with that (my cobbler suggested
                              using automotive touchup paint...the kind that comes in the small
                              bottles with the built-in brush applicator...because of the variety of
                              colors available and the ease of application. The enamel finish also
                              served to kind of glue down some of the loose edges around the scuffs).

                              Had they been leather shoes, I'm sure results would have varied...the
                              problem with scuffs on vinyl, aside from the relatively fragile nature
                              of the surface to clean, is that anytime you rub something against a
                              plastic surface hard enough to leave a scuff, the friction of the
                              contact has a good chance of fusing the scuff material into the
                              surface. Leather reacts differently...and would also tolerate more
                              vigorous scrubbing, as well as not puckering under the nail polish
                              remover.

                              I might try Goop...it is, after all, designed to do the same sort of
                              stuff I was initially using Thoro for, so it may prove as versatile
                              (even if it doesn't work as a scuff remover, the tip about cleaning
                              brushes with it is good to know! One of my regular freelance gigs is
                              scenic art...)

                              Thanks again, all!