Re: Mic Pac Belts

  • anniethings53
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      I had the exact same thing happen a few years ago. I made a few bags
      from nylon fabric so the transmitter would slide in and out easily,
      but found they caused too much static resulting in occasional popping
      or cracking noises. I went back to making the bags of 100% cotton
      muslin and letting the sound crew decide whose transmitter needed
      waterproofing with a condom.

      I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced the
      phenomenon of the mysterious disappearing mic pack belts. I swear
      they must just throw them away after a show because they're gross and
      sweaty! I've solved this problem by collecting them at strike so
      that I can wash, repair and/or replace them. Next show, it's the
      first thing that goes to the theatre directly to the hands of the
      sound designer. If I don't do this, it becomes a blaming game of "I
      thought you had them" or "where are the MIC bags?" resulting in me
      having to frantically make new ones, all the while cursing the sound
      crew for losing the others. I'm much happier with them in my
      possession. The sound crew knows I have them.

      Hope this helps!
      Annie

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
      <sylvia@...> wrote:

      > I was the list member who requested info of these a month or so
      ago. I
      > ended up suing sport nylon to make the packs and stitched them onto
      > wide elastic. They also put the mics into condoms. It came up at
      > production meeting yesterday that the mics are cutting out
      occasionally
      > and they had decided it was static electricity. Using static guard
      > seems to help but not totally. Has anyone else experienced this
      > problem and if so, what did they do about it?
      >
      > Sylrog
      >
      > On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:11 AM, princesserika12 wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks to all for your great advice on the dress shields! Great
      stuff!

      > > Here's my new one:
      > >
      > > I need to make mic pack belts. This will be my second attempt. I
      made
      > > some a year ago and they were lost! Ugh. Anyway---
      > >
      > > I wasn't happy with them to begin with so I would love some
      > > suggestions
      > > on how to make them better this time around. I used wide elastic
      for
      > > the belt with velcro, swimsuit material for the pack holder and
      snaps.
      > > They weren't bad but I would love to know what materials others
      have
      > > used and how adjustable they were. (If you made sizes etc.)
      > >
      > > I only have a standard home sewing machine so I can't surge
      edges,
      > > only
      > > zigzag stuff.
      > >
      > > Would love any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

    • Hansen, Lia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
        We use 3" wide elastic and muslin to make the bags. The wider elastic
        keeps them more stable. Our sound guy had us add a narrow piece of
        elasitc at the top with a snap to the pouch to help hold the battery
        packs in the pouch. I use snap tape on the edge and underlap to close
        them and some of the guys like an across chest shoulder strap of
        narrower elastic. We take tucks in them all the time. We label them
        with students' names and hopefully they all come back at the end of the
        show. The sound team doesn't want to wash them, so they usually do!

        Lia Hansen

      • Mom IS my real name
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
          I've never had to keep track of mic pacs, but something I've done to
          help performers help me keep track of similar small things is to hang a
          shoe bag somewhere handy backstage - the kind that goes on the back of
          a door and has several pockets for shoes. I put a sticky address label
          with a performer's name on each pocket and slip in a little checklist
          or reminder of what I expect to find back in the pocket after each
          costume change or performance. That way I know right away WHOSE stuff
          is missing. Extra pockets are perfect for water bottles, too, if
          they're allowed backstage.

          Janelle
        • Erika Nguyen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
            Thank you so much!

            It IS nice to know many of us experience the same problems!

            Best,

            Erika

            ===========================

            Erika C. Miller

            Outreach Director

            The Chance Theater

            "Off-Broadway Theater in O.C."

            714.777.3033

            714.777.3092 fax

            erika@...

            www.chancetheater.com <http://www.chancetheater.com/>

            *2007 Recipient of the LADCC Polly Warfield Award for Excellence

            Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning Musical!
            Sunday in the Park with George
            by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine

            directed by Oanh Nguyen

            musically directed by Bill Strongin

            Aug 3 - Sept 16, 2007

            Thu., Fri., Sat. 8pm; Sun 2pm

            Orange County Premiere!

            Shakespeare's R & J

            adapted by Joe Calarco

            directed by Patricia Ansuini
            Aug 12 - Sept 16, 2007
            Sat. 4pm; Sun 6pm

            theater line (714) 777-3033
            24/7 tickets online www.chancetheater.com

[...]

            <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com> , Sylvia Rognstad