Mic Pac Belts

  • princesserika12
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
      Thanks to all for your great advice on the dress shields! Great stuff!

      Here's my new one:

      I need to make mic pack belts. This will be my second attempt. I made
      some a year ago and they were lost! Ugh. Anyway---

      I wasn't happy with them to begin with so I would love some suggestions
      on how to make them better this time around. I used wide elastic for
      the belt with velcro, swimsuit material for the pack holder and snaps.
      They weren't bad but I would love to know what materials others have
      used and how adjustable they were. (If you made sizes etc.)

      I only have a standard home sewing machine so I can't surge edges, only
      zigzag stuff.

      Would love any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2007
        I was the list member who requested info of these a month or so ago. I
        ended up suing sport nylon to make the packs and stitched them onto
        wide elastic. They also put the mics into condoms. It came up at a
        production meeting yesterday that the mics are cutting out occasionally
        and they had decided it was static electricity. Using static guard
        seems to help but not totally. Has anyone else experienced this
        problem and if so, what did they do about it?

        Sylrog

        On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:11 AM, princesserika12 wrote:

        > Thanks to all for your great advice on the dress shields! Great stuff!
        >
        > Here's my new one:
        >
        > I need to make mic pack belts. This will be my second attempt. I made
        > some a year ago and they were lost! Ugh. Anyway---
        >
        > I wasn't happy with them to begin with so I would love some
        > suggestions
        > on how to make them better this time around. I used wide elastic for
        > the belt with velcro, swimsuit material for the pack holder and snaps.
        > They weren't bad but I would love to know what materials others have
        > used and how adjustable they were. (If you made sizes etc.)
        >
        > I only have a standard home sewing machine so I can't surge edges,
        > only
        > zigzag stuff.
        >
        > Would love any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

      • Susan Cassidy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2007
          I think it would be better to use plain muslin or cotton for the little
          bags, rather than nylon (I know, no help after the fact!) —that’s what the
          pro theatre I work at used, along with double condoms over the battery pack,
          sewn to 2” wide elastic, so that solves the moisture barrier issue. That’s
          what I used when we made them for the local theatre group, and of course, I
          had to make them again for the next show, since they were misplaced! Now
          they’re kept with the sound equipment.

          I think the static electricity theory is probably right—I walked across the
          carpet in March and destroyed the function of a digital video recorder just
          by touching it (and I had even touched metal first.) That static is powerful
          stuff!

          _____

          I was the list member who requested info of these a month or so ago. I
          ended up suing sport nylon to make the packs and stitched them onto
          wide elastic. They also put the mics into condoms. It came up at a
          production meeting yesterday that the mics are cutting out occasionally
          and they had decided it was static electricity. Using static guard
          seems to help but not totally. Has anyone else experienced this
          problem and if so, what did they do about it?

          Sylrog

          On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:11 AM, princesserika12 wrote:

          > Thanks to all for your great advice on the dress shields! Great stuff!
          >
          > Here's my new one:
          >
          > I need to make mic pack belts. This will be my second attempt. I made
          > some a year ago and they were lost! Ugh. Anyway---
          >
          > I wasn't happy with them to begin with so I would love some
          > suggestions
          > on how to make them better this time around. I used wide elastic for
          > the belt with velcro, swimsuit material for the pack holder and snaps.
          > They weren't bad but I would love to know what materials others have
          > used and how adjustable they were. (If you made sizes etc.)
          >
          > I only have a standard home sewing machine so I can't surge edges,
          > only
          > zigzag stuff.
          >
          > Would love any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

        • anniethings53
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
            I had the exact same thing happen a few years ago. I made a few bags
            from nylon fabric so the transmitter would slide in and out easily,
            but found they caused too much static resulting in occasional popping
            or cracking noises. I went back to making the bags of 100% cotton
            muslin and letting the sound crew decide whose transmitter needed
            waterproofing with a condom.

            I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced the
            phenomenon of the mysterious disappearing mic pack belts. I swear
            they must just throw them away after a show because they're gross and
            sweaty! I've solved this problem by collecting them at strike so
            that I can wash, repair and/or replace them. Next show, it's the
            first thing that goes to the theatre directly to the hands of the
            sound designer. If I don't do this, it becomes a blaming game of "I
            thought you had them" or "where are the MIC bags?" resulting in me
            having to frantically make new ones, all the while cursing the sound
            crew for losing the others. I'm much happier with them in my
            possession. The sound crew knows I have them.

            Hope this helps!
            Annie

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
            <sylvia@...> wrote:

            > I was the list member who requested info of these a month or so
            ago. I
            > ended up suing sport nylon to make the packs and stitched them onto
            > wide elastic. They also put the mics into condoms. It came up at
            > production meeting yesterday that the mics are cutting out
            occasionally
            > and they had decided it was static electricity. Using static guard
            > seems to help but not totally. Has anyone else experienced this
            > problem and if so, what did they do about it?
            >
            > Sylrog
            >
            > On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:11 AM, princesserika12 wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks to all for your great advice on the dress shields! Great
            stuff!

            > > Here's my new one:
            > >
            > > I need to make mic pack belts. This will be my second attempt. I
            made
            > > some a year ago and they were lost! Ugh. Anyway---
            > >
            > > I wasn't happy with them to begin with so I would love some
            > > suggestions
            > > on how to make them better this time around. I used wide elastic
            for
            > > the belt with velcro, swimsuit material for the pack holder and
            snaps.
            > > They weren't bad but I would love to know what materials others
            have
            > > used and how adjustable they were. (If you made sizes etc.)
            > >
            > > I only have a standard home sewing machine so I can't surge
            edges,
            > > only
            > > zigzag stuff.
            > >
            > > Would love any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

          • Hansen, Lia
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
              We use 3" wide elastic and muslin to make the bags. The wider elastic
              keeps them more stable. Our sound guy had us add a narrow piece of
              elasitc at the top with a snap to the pouch to help hold the battery
              packs in the pouch. I use snap tape on the edge and underlap to close
              them and some of the guys like an across chest shoulder strap of
              narrower elastic. We take tucks in them all the time. We label them
              with students' names and hopefully they all come back at the end of the
              show. The sound team doesn't want to wash them, so they usually do!

              Lia Hansen

            • Mom IS my real name
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
                I've never had to keep track of mic pacs, but something I've done to
                help performers help me keep track of similar small things is to hang a
                shoe bag somewhere handy backstage - the kind that goes on the back of
                a door and has several pockets for shoes. I put a sticky address label
                with a performer's name on each pocket and slip in a little checklist
                or reminder of what I expect to find back in the pocket after each
                costume change or performance. That way I know right away WHOSE stuff
                is missing. Extra pockets are perfect for water bottles, too, if
                they're allowed backstage.

                Janelle
              • Erika Nguyen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
                  Thank you so much!

                  It IS nice to know many of us experience the same problems!

                  Best,

                  Erika

                  ===========================

                  Erika C. Miller

                  Outreach Director

                  The Chance Theater

                  "Off-Broadway Theater in O.C."

                  714.777.3033

                  714.777.3092 fax

                  erika@...

                  www.chancetheater.com <http://www.chancetheater.com/>

                  *2007 Recipient of the LADCC Polly Warfield Award for Excellence

                  Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning Musical!
                  Sunday in the Park with George
                  by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine

                  directed by Oanh Nguyen

                  musically directed by Bill Strongin

                  Aug 3 - Sept 16, 2007

                  Thu., Fri., Sat. 8pm; Sun 2pm

                  Orange County Premiere!

                  Shakespeare's R & J

                  adapted by Joe Calarco

                  directed by Patricia Ansuini
                  Aug 12 - Sept 16, 2007
                  Sat. 4pm; Sun 6pm

                  theater line (714) 777-3033
                  24/7 tickets online www.chancetheater.com

[...]

                  <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com> , Sylvia Rognstad