Re: Dress Sheilds question

  • cyncorley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
      You could use washable dress shields. (I buy mine from Richard the
      Thread.)These are made from cotton with an inner plastic layer and you
      tack them into the armscye of the garments and then just remove and
      wash/dry them and tack them back in. A little bit of effort but they
      work well. You could also use the vodka and water spray inside the
      garments while the shields are in the wash and air the garment well.
      Don't dry clean the shields accidentally--they turn in to potato
      chips! :-) Good luck!
    • bonnie carter
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
        Our theatre also uses pantyliners as disposable
        shields. I think they work quite well. Although one
        time one of our actresses almost lost hers during a
        scene, so you may want to have them pin them in.

        Also, do you get bulk cleaning rates? We have two
        cleaners that we use that both charge us bulk rates
        and do a very good job with our costumes. (We run a
        rental shop, not just a theatre, so we do have a LOT
        of cleaning). However, with the cost of costumes, I
        would be quite concerned about having the items go
        through that extensive of a run without drycleaning.
        It may be worth asking. Our secondary cleaners
        doesn't advertise that he does bulk, but he was more
        than happy to get the business. It's VERY affordable.
        And they pick up and deliver.

      • Don McCunn
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
          Erika,

          You might want to check out the Hygienic Liner from the Fabric-Depot.
          In their catalog it simply states to protect a garment while a
          customer is trying it on. I don't know if it would work for your
          purposes. But if you call in your order, you will be talking to the
          woman who owns the business and she's very nice, helpful, informative,
          etc. My impression is she will not try to sell you something that
          would be inappropriate for your needs. And at $0.10 a piece, they
          certainly aren't that expensive.

          http://fabricdepotco.com/2007FabDD/page3.html

          Best,
          Don McCunn
          http://How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns.com/
        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Alexadbw@... wrote:

            > There is also another product called "Fresh again" made specifically
            for
            > perspiration. You can google it..I don't know if it is still around.
            I have some
            > but never used it as much as the Nature's Miracle, so I really don't
            know how
            > well it works. I never had a problem with spotting with NM, but of
            course as
            > always test, test, test!

            Fresh Again is designed specifically as a pre-treatment to take out
            odors during dry-cleaning, as often the heat of the process will bake
            an undesirable aroma into items...you spray it down with FA before
            taking it to the cleaners and it helps get the odor out completely.
            In theory...

            It's better than nothing, but before I discovered it's ACTUAL intended
            use (imagine that, reading the directions?) and we were trying to use
            it as a deodorizing spray, some of our performers started referring to
            it as 'Fresh Begone', because by itself, it wasn't getting rid of
            their odor and it also had a very distinct aroma of its own (and I'm
            still asked 'What's that smell?' to this day when I'm pretreating
            dry-cleaning with it...)

            The vodka-water mix, as I've always heard it described, was
            50/50...and cheap vodka works as well or better than the good stuff.
            In a pinch, you could also probably try rubbing alcohol, as
            (theoretically) it should have the same effect and the actual alcohol
            content is higher (and I don't know anywhere that you can but vodka
            for a dollar a bottle...) I've tried it and had fair results...but
            we're running three shows simultaneously, 2-4 performances a day, 6
            days a week, for three months running. There are a LOT of treatments
            out there that people swear by that just can't keep up with that.

            My latest intriguing discovery...using Resolve carpet cleaner (in a
            pump spray bottle) to pre-treat shirt collars and keep the
            ring-around-the-collar minimized. Wet it down well, hit it with a
            small scrubbing brush, and let it sit for a few minutes before washing
            it normally (I'll sometimes pretreat the shirt collars while I'm doing
            another load of wash, to give myself something to do while waiting for
            the washer to finish). It's not perfect...but it's a darn sight more
            effective than anything else I've tried up to this point!
          • Alexadbw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 25, 2007
              In a message dated 7/24/2007 11:41:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              gckidd@... writes:

              My latest intriguing discovery...My latest intriguing discovery
              pump spray bottle) to pre-treat shirt collars and keep the
              ring-around-ring-around-<WBR>the-

              I'm definitely going to try that one!!!

              I have heard from others that vodka is best used on new, still wet stains.
              One good thing about "Nature's Miracle" Is that it works on old, dry odors as
              well as new, so if one item slips through the cracks you still have an
              option.
              Alexa

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
                "l have heard from others that vodka is best used on new, still wet stains. " said Alexa

                My finding, fer shure. Applying a vodka mixture to an old sweat stain resulted in a smell like - well, like a sweaty vodka-soaked drunk. And a 1 to 1 mixture with water seems to work best for me - the seeming logic that `stronger must be more effective' doesn't always apply!
                Regards, Sir Real

              • bearhedded
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
                  Spraying rubbing alcohol is NOT a good idea.

                  The reason vodka is reasonably safe to use, is the fact that it's manufactured as an
                  ingestable product. A mist of rubbing alcohol could be inhaled, and I'm sure you've read
                  the warnings on the label.....
                • Anne Redish
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 27, 2007
                    Even with drycleaning, arm pits in garments get abuse! And Dry
                    cleaning is too expensive and in many cases (I know there are some
                    GREEN exceptions) not good for anybody! And it's hard on the fabric
                    and garment in general!
                    I'd say make your own dress sheilds. It's a good sewing project.
                    The thin plastic is Diaper liner available here through Fabricland ..
                    also known as Joannes. If you have 1 pair purchased, use it as a
                    pattern. Getting the flip-inside-out worked out is a bit of a trick,
                    but serging them together is a great exercise in serging curves ..
                    not for a complete novice! Carefull when assembling not to pin
                    through the part that needs to be sweat proof! You can also make
                    ones coloured to suit the garment (Like men's suit jackets! )not just
                    black and white. Also in various sizes, and ones with short
                    undersleeves for extra short sleeved dresses!
                    A while back, we made up a big batch, made them in white, and put
                    them in all our commonly 'rented' out dresses. These are labelled
                    with the colour and style of the dress they go in, (or it could be
                    the catalogue / sign out Number) They do not go out without them! The
                    shields are labelled right and left when we use snaps since the snaps
                    may not be exactly symmetrically placed. Avoid the dryer as this
                    shortens their life! Hang to dry.

                    Anne Redish
                    Department of Drama,
                    Queen's University,