Re: Dress Sheilds question

  • cyncorley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
      You could use washable dress shields. (I buy mine from Richard the
      Thread.)These are made from cotton with an inner plastic layer and you
      tack them into the armscye of the garments and then just remove and
      wash/dry them and tack them back in. A little bit of effort but they
      work well. You could also use the vodka and water spray inside the
      garments while the shields are in the wash and air the garment well.
      Don't dry clean the shields accidentally--they turn in to potato
      chips! :-) Good luck!
    • Julia Trimarco
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
        Vodka is an old trick. You don't have to mix it with anything. Buy the cheapest bottom shelf vodka you can find, the kind in a large plastic jug, put it in spray bottles and spray it on the insides of costumes wherever there might be odor. The alcohol kills the germs so they don't stink anymore, but it doesn't leave any scent (many actors are irritated by the scents in "fresheners", and it's cheaper). Make sure to do it just after each performance (unless you have another performance that day), to allow it time to dry before the next show.

        Also, if you have the time and some extra free labor from interns or something, you can make reusable dress shields from cotton remnants. After you cut them and serge the edges, the interns or volunteers can sew the snaps onto them and into the costumes. They can also be pinned in with tiny brass safety pins, this saves time sewing, but uses up wardrobe's time unpinning them for laundering, so it's really only a temporary solution.

        A third solution is supplying the actors with T-shirts and insisting that they wear them under the costumes (generally only works with men's costumes) - or you can require the actors to bring in their own t-shirts (AND leave them at the theatre for wardrobe to launder for them).

        -Jypsie

        Our theater company works on a very small budget and cannot afford to
        dry clean during the run of a production. We run for 7-8 weeks with 4
        performances a week.

        I need some guidance on how to prevent staining/soiling and major odors.

        Recent Activity
        9New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Elizabethan costuming
        Costuming
        Yahoo! TV
        "The 9"
        Daily count down
        of top Web finds.
        Yahoo! 360°
        Get Started
        Create your page
        Share your life
        Yahoo! Groups
        Moderator Central
        An online resource
        for moderators..

      • bonnie carter
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
          Our theatre also uses pantyliners as disposable
          shields. I think they work quite well. Although one
          time one of our actresses almost lost hers during a
          scene, so you may want to have them pin them in.

          Also, do you get bulk cleaning rates? We have two
          cleaners that we use that both charge us bulk rates
          and do a very good job with our costumes. (We run a
          rental shop, not just a theatre, so we do have a LOT
          of cleaning). However, with the cost of costumes, I
          would be quite concerned about having the items go
          through that extensive of a run without drycleaning.
          It may be worth asking. Our secondary cleaners
          doesn't advertise that he does bulk, but he was more
          than happy to get the business. It's VERY affordable.
          And they pick up and deliver.

        • Don McCunn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
            Erika,

            You might want to check out the Hygienic Liner from the Fabric-Depot.
            In their catalog it simply states to protect a garment while a
            customer is trying it on. I don't know if it would work for your
            purposes. But if you call in your order, you will be talking to the
            woman who owns the business and she's very nice, helpful, informative,
            etc. My impression is she will not try to sell you something that
            would be inappropriate for your needs. And at $0.10 a piece, they
            certainly aren't that expensive.

            http://fabricdepotco.com/2007FabDD/page3.html

            Best,
            Don McCunn
            http://How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns.com/
          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 24, 2007
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Alexadbw@... wrote:

              > There is also another product called "Fresh again" made specifically
              for
              > perspiration. You can google it..I don't know if it is still around.
              I have some
              > but never used it as much as the Nature's Miracle, so I really don't
              know how
              > well it works. I never had a problem with spotting with NM, but of
              course as
              > always test, test, test!

              Fresh Again is designed specifically as a pre-treatment to take out
              odors during dry-cleaning, as often the heat of the process will bake
              an undesirable aroma into items...you spray it down with FA before
              taking it to the cleaners and it helps get the odor out completely.
              In theory...

              It's better than nothing, but before I discovered it's ACTUAL intended
              use (imagine that, reading the directions?) and we were trying to use
              it as a deodorizing spray, some of our performers started referring to
              it as 'Fresh Begone', because by itself, it wasn't getting rid of
              their odor and it also had a very distinct aroma of its own (and I'm
              still asked 'What's that smell?' to this day when I'm pretreating
              dry-cleaning with it...)

              The vodka-water mix, as I've always heard it described, was
              50/50...and cheap vodka works as well or better than the good stuff.
              In a pinch, you could also probably try rubbing alcohol, as
              (theoretically) it should have the same effect and the actual alcohol
              content is higher (and I don't know anywhere that you can but vodka
              for a dollar a bottle...) I've tried it and had fair results...but
              we're running three shows simultaneously, 2-4 performances a day, 6
              days a week, for three months running. There are a LOT of treatments
              out there that people swear by that just can't keep up with that.

              My latest intriguing discovery...using Resolve carpet cleaner (in a
              pump spray bottle) to pre-treat shirt collars and keep the
              ring-around-the-collar minimized. Wet it down well, hit it with a
              small scrubbing brush, and let it sit for a few minutes before washing
              it normally (I'll sometimes pretreat the shirt collars while I'm doing
              another load of wash, to give myself something to do while waiting for
              the washer to finish). It's not perfect...but it's a darn sight more
              effective than anything else I've tried up to this point!
            • Alexadbw@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 25, 2007
                In a message dated 7/24/2007 11:41:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                gckidd@... writes:

                My latest intriguing discovery...My latest intriguing discovery
                pump spray bottle) to pre-treat shirt collars and keep the
                ring-around-ring-around-<WBR>the-

                I'm definitely going to try that one!!!

                I have heard from others that vodka is best used on new, still wet stains.
                One good thing about "Nature's Miracle" Is that it works on old, dry odors as
                well as new, so if one item slips through the cracks you still have an
                option.
                Alexa

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
                  "l have heard from others that vodka is best used on new, still wet stains. " said Alexa

                  My finding, fer shure. Applying a vodka mixture to an old sweat stain resulted in a smell like - well, like a sweaty vodka-soaked drunk. And a 1 to 1 mixture with water seems to work best for me - the seeming logic that `stronger must be more effective' doesn't always apply!
                  Regards, Sir Real

                • bearhedded
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 26, 2007
                    Spraying rubbing alcohol is NOT a good idea.

                    The reason vodka is reasonably safe to use, is the fact that it's manufactured as an
                    ingestable product. A mist of rubbing alcohol could be inhaled, and I'm sure you've read
                    the warnings on the label.....
                  • Anne Redish
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 27, 2007
                      Even with drycleaning, arm pits in garments get abuse! And Dry
                      cleaning is too expensive and in many cases (I know there are some
                      GREEN exceptions) not good for anybody! And it's hard on the fabric
                      and garment in general!
                      I'd say make your own dress sheilds. It's a good sewing project.
                      The thin plastic is Diaper liner available here through Fabricland ..
                      also known as Joannes. If you have 1 pair purchased, use it as a
                      pattern. Getting the flip-inside-out worked out is a bit of a trick,
                      but serging them together is a great exercise in serging curves ..
                      not for a complete novice! Carefull when assembling not to pin
                      through the part that needs to be sweat proof! You can also make
                      ones coloured to suit the garment (Like men's suit jackets! )not just
                      black and white. Also in various sizes, and ones with short
                      undersleeves for extra short sleeved dresses!
                      A while back, we made up a big batch, made them in white, and put
                      them in all our commonly 'rented' out dresses. These are labelled
                      with the colour and style of the dress they go in, (or it could be
                      the catalogue / sign out Number) They do not go out without them! The
                      shields are labelled right and left when we use snaps since the snaps
                      may not be exactly symmetrically placed. Avoid the dryer as this
                      shortens their life! Hang to dry.

                      Anne Redish
                      Department of Drama,
                      Queen's University,