Re: 2002-4 fashions

  • Mom IS my real name
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
      Find "Friends" DVDs from those years.

      2001 would have been right before the waistline dropped so low. I
      remeber cute denim and kakhi capris and embellished 3/4 sleeve
      blouses. I also remeber jeans, just starting to flare again, with
      jaquard ribbon or some other embellishment around the hem. A little
      later the embellishment started crawling up the legs of jeans - hand-
      painted and jewelled for the wealthier girls, printed paisley-type
      designs for the rest. Soon (2203-4?) the girls a little older than
      my daughter started wearing very tight, very low-cut pants, mostly
      kakhi and olive twill, with a wide flare at the ankle, usually too
      long so the hems got shredded at the heel. The wealthier ones wore
      what they called Brazillian style jeans which were super low (they
      had to shave...), super tight, flared, and embellished like crazy
      with ribbon embroidery and rhinestones.

      That's when they started wearing thongs, too, and would automatically
      put their hands behind their backs when they bent or squatted to hide
      what we didn't want to see. I can't think of the shoes...

      I also remember very short, very low waisted flippy denim skirts with
      short t-shirts (the schoolgirl fetish look).

      For slightly dressier looks there were lots of printed chiffon-y A-
      line skirts with a built in slip lining, just below the knee (often
      with an asymetrical hem or a 3 or 4 inch flounce) and little narrow
      lingerie lace trim around the hem, worn with a fancy t-shirt or
      camisole. Big black or white sandals (wide straps, square heel).
      Silk flowers or jeweled butterflies on flat clips in their hair. The
      girls with curls started straightening their hair.

      For cover ups there were lots of "shrugs" with too-long sleeves
      (either sweater knitted or sewn of jersey knits), and long, belted,
      trench-length sweaters in very furry, soft yarns.

      My son was so little then, I can only tell you what 8 or 10 year old
      boys were wearing. And my husband has been wearing Dockers, 501's
      and aloha shirts for 20 years, so I don't know anything about what
      other men wore...

      Janelle
    • Cat Devereaux
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
        >> flare again, with
        jaquard ribbon or some other embellishment around the hem. A little
        later the embellishment started crawling up the legs of jeans

        Yea... something that matches... a bit earlier... those were just worn as
        "Club jeans" and were ridiculously expensive. Mostly worn in evening with
        black shirts. They hadn't tricked down into the stores.. and even then,
        only groups of kids took to them because the mass made ones didn't look like
        the designer stuff

        >>For cover ups there were lots of "shrugs" with too-long sleeves
        (either sweater knitted or sewn of jersey knits), and long, belted,
        trench-length sweaters in very furry, soft yarns.

        Ah, another match... yes... forgot all about those crazy long soft sweaters.
        Some of the folks used to wear them to work and kept them closed because the
        tops were too short. Not just the kids wore those. Open fuzzy sweaters
        often subbed for a jacket to formalize a bit. (And these were nothing like
        your mother's sweaters.)

        >>That's when they started wearing thongs, too, and would automatically
        put their hands behind their backs when they bent or squatted to hide
        what we didn't want to see. I can't think of the shoes...

        Hummmm, took a while for that to move out... the high schools were having
        problems out here with those in the late 90's even.... that "no underwear
        shows" rule had to be extended to the girls too.

        I'm always amazed now much style of dress/hair/make-up/etc can vary by
        region. Though I guess I should stop being surprised. Having lived in LA
        all my life dressing for the area is very much like dressing for work or
        play.. it's dress for both what you're doing and in what part of town. By
        region there's even more difference. A lot of stuff trickles off the TV,
        though some comes from the center and spreads to the coast. Fashion and
        style can be such a moving target.

        -Cat-

      • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
          Cool, I grew up in Kentucky *right* across the river from southern Ohio, and we all wore pretty much the same stuff, so maybe I can help some :)

          During the beginning of your time frame I remember jeans were still the end all be all for everyday...often with layered shirts ( a tank-top with a men's style button down or flannel worn over top, un-buttoned most the way down)

          Jeans were just starting to really pull away from the looks of the '90's and starting to get lower waists and slightly flared leg's...by the end of your period we were getting into bikini-rises and really retro flared leg's...although were I lived the super low rises weren't really super common to see around just yet. Patchwork pants were a big thing one fall...in denims or cord's. Either allover squares in different colors, or the really odd looking ones...all over stripes in different colors. Thankfully that's one of the few trend's I did not attempt..go me!

          Also, I remember cargo pants being a big thing...not super baggy, at least for the girls. They were fitted thru the butt and hips and then went wide leg from there down, with lot's of little pockts and usally a hammer loop. They still had fairly normal waist's...maybe just starting to edge slightly below the natural waistline and they were rarely out of denim...usually browns, blacks and khaki greens...and corduroy was very in for a bit.

          Skirts were usually one of two extremes...short and fitted, (although I don't re-call seeing many really extreme minis in my area...usually an inch or so above finger tip length) or long, and for lack of a better word, dumpy. I sooo remember trying and trying to pull off the long skits..oi. They were usually very long...like ankle length to almost skimming the floor, often with a low waist line, which kind gave the impression that your skirt was one size to big and was slipping down a bit. And just enough of an a-line to keep them from being fitted, but not enough to be flowing. And again I say..."Oi" .; )

          Shirts were really fitted, but super short and crop tops weren't huge yet. They were around, but they were usually worn by the same sort of girls that were wearing the bikini rise pants, and they generally weren't really called flattering names by the rest of the girls.

          Not a lot of cap-sleeves like are on all the baby-tees now...short sleeves were a little longer, and 3/4 sleeves were everywhere. And I remember shirts made out of stretch velvet being sooooo totally cool...usually with a printed design, like geisha girls or rainbows and butterfly's on the front. And for awhile peasant blouses were a big deal..they were every where. The kind that were really full with a gathered neckline and cuffs....usually out of cotton gauze and with embroidered flowers one them.

          Platform sandals were totally it...I actually remember wearing mine in winter sometimes, because the were so "cool".(sad, but true) I remember one summer when high top Chuck Taylor's were THE shoe to have for the younger guys...I think it might have been '03. Ugh...and towards the beginning of the period, sadly...big chunky flat "practical" sandals were still kinda in...think Birkenstock.

          Okay, that's all I can think of for now...hope it helps some :)

          Renee

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
            I'm showing my age;. What are bikini rise pants?

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
              >>I'm showing my age;. What are bikini rise pants?

              Remember hip huggers??? Not quite so wide in the leg, but cut down all the
              way to the old bikini panty line. Another name was "Brazilian" (after the
              wax/shave you needed to wear them like that) These were often worn w/o
              belts, so they had to fit perfectly or you'd get slide. These were often
              decorated and very expensive.

              I think by getting things down and daring that needed that much fit was a
              way of separating those that were "moneyed" or pretending to be. (Cause no
              on though of jeans as custom fitted.) I remember being down in LA garment
              district when the "Silliness" of the style was being suggested... and the
              discussion was that the style couldn't get really big because of the fit
              issues. (And it was hilarious to see some of the FIDM students, who weren't
              comfortable with that style, trying to wear that style anyway. Talk about
              lots of tugging up -- since the extremes on this also needed to be worn
              bare-back.) Cropped tops. Lots of interesting sunburns. <G>

              Some fashions are self correcting.

              -Cat-

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
                Never heard anyone use that term for hip huggers before. Guess I'm
                just not with it anymore.

                On Jul 4, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

                > >>I'm showing my age;. What are bikini rise pants?
                >
                > Remember hip huggers??? Not quite so wide in the leg, but cut down
                > all the
                > way to the old bikini panty line. Another name was "Brazilian" (after
                > the
                > wax/shave you needed to wear them like that) These were often worn w/o
                > belts, so they had to fit perfectly or you'd get slide. These were
                > often
                > decorated and very expensive.
                >
                > I think by getting things down and daring that needed that much fit
                > was a
                > way of separating those that were "moneyed" or pretending to be.
                > (Cause no
                > on though of jeans as custom fitted.) I remember being down in LA
                > garment
                > district when the "Silliness" of the style was being suggested... and
                > the
                > discussion was that the style couldn't get really big because of the
                > fit
                > issues. (And it was hilarious to see some of the FIDM students, who
                > weren't
                > comfortable with that style, trying to wear that style anyway. Talk
                > about
                > lots of tugging up -- since the extremes on this also needed to be
                > worn
                > bare-back.) Cropped tops. Lots of interesting sunburns. <G>
                >
                > Some fashions are self correcting.
                >
                > -Cat-

              • Cat Devereaux
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 4, 2007
                  >>Never heard anyone use that term for hip huggers before. Guess I'm
                  just not with it anymore.

                  Hip huggers - late 60's - early 70's , sloppy fit, often with bells even
                  with cuffs. Often worm with wide belts. Always worn high enough you could
                  still wear underwear under them AND didn't need a shave. Sometimes belted
                  in tight enough to cut off circulation, but they didn't slip and slide.

                  The new stuff was a lot more tailored ... flared, cleaner fit. Most of the
                  jeans didn't go more than "low rise"... which was mostly above the extreme
                  hip huggers of the pervious generation. The Bikini/Brazilian were EXTREAM
                  low riders and normally high end jeans w/ fit.

                  There were variations of all of that and some home made options... and some
                  tried to bring those mainstream... But they were just too impractically
                  low to last for long. Though low low-rise are still worn in LA for some
                  occasions. The narrator in the Tudor Style fashion special was wearing a
                  more modern version of the low rise/crop -- this year. (So we're talking
                  about casual-stylish west-side LA while the New York folks reacted as the
                  look being "so last week" and "slutty". It's all about demographics.)

                  -Cat-

                • Curtis
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux"
                    <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

                    > The new stuff was a lot more tailored ... flared, cleaner fit.
                    Most of the
                    > jeans didn't go more than "low rise"... which was mostly above the
                    extreme
                    > hip huggers of the pervious generation. The Bikini/Brazilian were
                    EXTREAM
                    > low riders and normally high end jeans w/ fit.

                    A lot of the jeans during this time were stretch denim, with a little
                    lycra added to the blend. We used a lot of this stuff as costumes for
                    our shows (we were costuming our Rock show in stuff primarily
                    purchased out of LA, and filling in the gaps with what we could find
                    locally. The stretch denim allowed for a more fitted look without the
                    need for actually tailoring, and is now seen in the jeans that have
                    come out that fit like tights, tapered all the way down the
                    leg...seriously, the first time I saw them, I wondered how anyone
                    could get their foot through the leg. These aren't wide-spread right
                    now, very much a 'niche' item...but it's why the bikini-rise jeans
                    were able to stay on at all without a belt.
                  • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
                      Bikini-rise = Pants with such a low waist that the only thing holding them up is curly hair.

                      ; )

                      Renee

                      Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote: I'm showing my age;. What are bikini rise pants?

                      On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Renee Schmutz-Sowards wrote:

                      > Shirts were really fitted, but super short and crop tops weren't huge
                      > yet. They were around, but they were usually worn by the same sort of
                      > girls that were wearing the bikini rise pants, and they generally
                      > weren't really called flattering names by the rest of the girls.

                    • Julia Trimarco
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 27, 2007
                        I'm a bit late on this conversation, but I just saw the original post. I keep a fashion journal, and I also archive photos torn from magazines. I started doing this in grad school (1999-2001) when I had an assignment to costume a show in New York City 1988. I discovered that most public libraries only keep their actual magazine collection for a year (academic libraries usually don't even subscribe to fashion magazines unless it's a school for fashion). After that, they throw the magazines away, and get everything on microfilm or microfiche. Which is useless for pictorial research. So I asked my local librarian if I could have the magazines. She started collecting them in a box for me, and I picked it up once a month. Then I go through them, pull out typical examples of new, changing fashions, and archive them in a file. Alot of my collection is still back home in NY.

                        Anyway, here is a brief survey of what I have for 2002 - 2005:
                        2002 - Gap selling bright multi colored striped sweaters and scarves, Levi's "dangerously low" jeans, halter tops that criss-cross above the bosom in front of the neck, long sleeves with full or ruffled ends (some medieval style), rouched dresses (gathered creating folds along the midrift to the hips), chunky boot heels, boot-cut jeans, jackets with shearling or fur trim or fur bobbles, Mens shoes with flat sharp square toes, rib-knit sweaters, long suit jackets
                        Overall, jeans and pants have gotten straighter, the low point of the rise was probably about 03 or 04 and they've been coming back up since, jackets have gotten shorter with more details on the natural waist, blouses have gotten longer, but the fitted part of them has moved higher. So the bare midriff with a short blouse and a low jean was popular a few years ago, now showing skin there is out. Jeans are still on the hipbone, but blouses are longer to cover it up. Skirts were straight and very short or very long, now they are knee-length and trumpet flared. Frills are still on the rise (started around 2002, but only really hitting extreme proportion probably in a few years). Shoes got very pointy, and heels started clunky in 2002 but got tiny and have stayed that way. The "kitten" heel came in during this period. Now, some avant-garde designers are doing retro round toes to fit the retro 30's/40's style piecing of the dresses.

                        You've inspired me to get back to working on my archive. I've let it go the past few years and haven't gathered much material.