Re: unusual "sewing" help needed

  • mom4a2g
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 25, 2007
      > I have an unusual (at least to me) request. Does anyone know how I
      > would go about making strippers pasties?

      I have no experience with this, but couldn't you use an old bra that
      you know fits and cut the center of the cup to the size you want. You
      could cover that with whatever fabric you wanted and not have to worry
      about making darts. Just an idea!
    • Mom IS my real name
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 27, 2007
        You might want to ask Don on this loop:

        I joined this group a couple of weeks ago after Don answered some of my
        questions somewhere else (here?). He teaches pattern making and makes
        custom lingerie and swimwear, so he might have some ideas for you!

        Janelle
      • Don McCunn
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 29, 2007
          Hi Elaine,

          You could just use a circle or maybe a dart it you want a little
          shaping. But what you are doing actually ties in to what I've been
          working on -- three-dimensional pattern drafting. I've been working on
          a system for creating custom-fit bras by capturing the shape of the
          breast using paper towels and masking tape. After you've made a mold,
          you cut the three dimensional shape until the patterns lay flat. Hence
          it is three-dimensional patternmaking for an exact fit as opposed to
          flat patternmaking. Perhaps with this suggestion and the photos I have
          on my website, you might get all the info you need:

          http://custom-bras.deofsf.com/Overview.html

          As to fabric you mention you are going to use it as a swimsuit. Is
          this a swim suit for swimming or sun bathing? I've been working on
          some swimsuit stuff and have come to learn that some fabrics are water
          friendly and others are not. Lycra seems to be a good choice for
          fabric that is going to be immersed in salt water or water with
          chlorine. I'm working on a string bikini that is reversible with two
          different colors of lycra. Just put good sides together, sew around,
          leave a 1" opening, and turn it through. There are some very light
          weight Lycras.

          As to holding it on, that is another issue. Once again I think the
          primary concern is whether you are going to go swimming or not. If it
          is water soluble glue...

          A resource that I have found very helpful is Herroom.com. They have
          some wonderful tips and all kinds of bra info. They even have a page
          for pasties but something was wrong with their server when I just
          tried to check it out for you.

          http://www.herroom.com/bra.aspx

          Good Luck,
          Don McCunn
          http://Custom-Bras.com/

          > Hi all. I have an unusual (at least to me) request. Does anyone
          know how I
          > would go about making strippers pasties? They look fairly straight
          forward
          > - cut/sew circle & glue in place, but since this is definately NOT
          my usual
          > type of sewing item I want to make sure I get a product that works.
          They
          > are actually going to be used in place of a swimsuit top on me,
          since I have
          > 36 nothings but do have tattoos that wrap around both breasts, go up
          over
          > shoulders, down full back and upper arms.. Theoretically I can go
          topless
          > here, it is not illegal, but I do have a little peice of me that
          says NO
          > NIPPLES. I don't sew as much as I would like so these have raised a
          few
          > questions. How to keep the edges from fraying as I cant see seaming
          them
          > without either discomfort for me or too much bulk. Also how
          light/heavy do
          > I want the fabric? Thanks for any sugestions , you are welcome to
          comment as
          > you please, I have heard it all.
          >
          > Elaine

          > Like puzzles? Play free games & earn great prizes. Play Clink now.
          > http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2

        • Mom IS my real name
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 29, 2007
            Could you use a product like this, and embellish it yourself?

            http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?
            mf=/dancewear/page_UG_p1.html
          • Debra Jackson-Dechert
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 29, 2007
              Hi Elaine, I used to sew for strippers on the 8 mile strip and they always used spray adhesive to keep the pasties on...no web site...I am the costume Director for the Michigan Renaissance Festival though.
              Debra

              Don McCunn <Don@...> wrote: Hi Elaine,

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 29, 2007
                Elaine,

                The saga continues.

                I asked Bill Jones here in San Francisco what glue to use. He is a
                professional makeup artist, a retired professor of costuming from San
                Francisco State, a costume designer for Beach Blanket Babylon, etc.
                and also a member of my HMSP group. He said:

                "The ONLY glue to use with pasties is eyelash adhesive...which is
                rubber...and waterproof. Any drugstore has it."

                Best,
                Don McCunn
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns/

                > Hi Elaine, I used to sew for strippers on the 8 mile strip and they
                always used spray adhesive to keep the pasties on...no web site...I am
                the costume Director for the Michigan Renaissance Festival though.
                > Debra
              • Carla Pollard
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 29, 2007
                  Lisa:
                  I am a member as well. However, my only frustration is that I've sent 4 emails to the group owner with no reply. And, obviously you won't see this email on that group!
                  Carla Pollard
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                    Sorry, I didn't understand you were trying to reach *Tara* herself. She
                    sent a message to the group, not too long ago, saying she was taking a
                    leave of absence from her position at UAF, so it's possible she's not
                    online, either. She's had some major health problems the last couple
                    years, maybe it's all related. Hope not, I'd rather think of her off on
                    sabbatical, doing something fun. I'd still email David Juby with your
                    question/problem if it's about the list itself.

                    Lisa

                    --
                    ~lisa.s * llsturts@...
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                      Carla, this is David Juby, one of the moderators of this group. I
                      looked through past messages for your previous posts and could not
                      find them - not sure what happened to them. Please repost your
                      question and I will do my best to help. Just a note - some members
                      posts show up as possible spam - not sure if yours do the same thing.
                      Also, I will be on vacation from July 6 to the 16th.

                      David Juby
                      Head of Wardrobe
                      Sheridan College

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "~lisa.s"
                      <llsturts@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry, I didn't understand you were trying to reach *Tara* herself.
                      She
                      > sent a message to the group, not too long ago, saying she was
                      taking a
                      > leave of absence from her position at UAF, so it's possible she's
                      not
                      > online, either. She's had some major health problems the last couple
                      > years, maybe it's all related. Hope not, I'd rather think of her
                      off on
                      > sabbatical, doing something fun. I'd still email David Juby with
                      your
                      > question/problem if it's about the list itself.
                      >
                      > Lisa
                      >

                      > > However, my only frustration is that I've sent 4 emails to the
                      group
                      > > owner with no reply. And, obviously you won't see this email on
                      that

                      > --
                      > ~lisa.s * llsturts@...

                    • Carla Pollard
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                        I just sent my questions to the "moderator" address of the group. So if it got through it went to both of them. All I was asking was if we could start offering costume related items for sale on the list. Books, primarily. I think it would not only help sellers but give costume professionals, etc., the ability to own a lot of great things for greatly reduced prices (at least for the things I have to sell).

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                          Thank you for your reply. My last email directed to the "moderator" was over 6 months ago. All I asked was if members were allowed to post costume-related items (books, primarily) for sale on the list. I certainly have not seen anything for sale yet so I have to assume you don't allow this, but because I'm a member of a handful of other lists where you can sell items I know how valuable this can be not only for the seller but for buyers looking for items they can get at greatly reduced pricing.
                          I would like to request that you consider this, if only for a limited time.
                          Thank you again for replying to the email.
                          Carla Pollard
                          Mill Valley

                          <llsturts@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry, I didn't understand you were trying to reach *Tara* herself.
                          She
                          > sent a message to the group, not too long ago, saying she was
                          taking a
                          > leave of absence from her position at UAF, so it's possible she's
                          not
                          > online, either. She's had some major health problems the last couple
                          > years, maybe it's all related. Hope not, I'd rather think of her
                          off on
                          > sabbatical, doing something fun. I'd still email David Juby with
                          your
                          > question/problem if it's about the list itself.
                          >
                          > Lisa
                          >

                          > > However, my only frustration is that I've sent 4 emails to the
                          group
                          > > owner with no reply. And, obviously you won't see this email on
                          that

                          > --
                          > ~lisa.s * llsturts@...

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                            I can't speak for Tara, but I think that if you list in a posting
                            the items, or types of items, you are looking to sell with your
                            personal email, group members can contact you directly for more
                            information. That way the message boards would not fill up with posts
                            between you and potential customers. Good luck. --- In
                            TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Carla Pollard"
                            <carlapollard929@...> wrote:

                            > I just sent my questions to the "moderator" address of the group.
                            So if it got through it went to both of them. All I was asking was
                            if we could start offering costume related items for sale on the
                            list. Books, primarily. I think it would not only help sellers but
                            give costume professionals, etc., the ability to own a lot of great
                            things for greatly reduced prices (at least for the things I have to
                            sell).

                          • Carla Pollard
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 30, 2007
                              That is exactly what I did and never saw the post, therefore I didn't get any replies
                              But thanks for all your replies here, everyone's been very helpful. Onward and upward.
                              <carlapollard929@...> wrote:

                              > I just sent my questions to the "moderator" address of the group.
                              So if it got through it went to both of them. All I was asking was
                              if we could start offering costume related items for sale on the
                              list. Books, primarily. I think it would not only help sellers but
                              give costume professionals, etc., the ability to own a lot of great
                              things for greatly reduced prices (at least for the things I have to
                              sell).

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Curtis
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007
                                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "David" <djuby@...> wrote:

                                > I can't speak for Tara, but I think that if you list in a posting
                                > the items, or types of items, you are looking to sell with your
                                > personal email, group members can contact you directly for more
                                > information.

                                This has been done before...I don't remember who it was (I should dig
                                back through my inbox and find out, as I was one of the ones who
                                responded), but someone last year had a bunch of vintage plastic and
                                bakelite jewelry that they were selling off (bracelets, necklaces,
                                earrings, etc). I was going to purchase a bunch of it for our stock
                                jewelry supplies, but the logistics of convincing the powers that be
                                at work to loosen the purse strings for a 'we might need this' item
                                became overwhelming (the problem with trying to do theatrical
                                production work for people who do not understand the difficulties of
                                producing it!)

                                (To whomever it was that had those items up for sale--I'm sorry I
                                never got back to you about that...I lost track of the messages in a
                                swirl of confusion that came with preparing for our Halloween shows.)

                                --Curtis