source for glove leather

  • erndoggins
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2007
      Does anyone have a source for leather suitable for gloves, preferably
      kidskin, preferably white or cream?

      Thanks.

      Roz
    • Randolph Keator

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "erndoggins"
          <edfent@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have a source for leather suitable for gloves, preferably
          > kidskin, preferably white or cream?

          Tandy Leather Factory has kidskin, garment weight leather in black,
          tan, and gold, white or smoked deerskin and white elkskin, garment
          weight pigskin in ivory, beige, white, and eggshell, and
          garment-weight cow skin in eggshell and gold. If you tell them you're
          purchasing as a designer (ie, as a business purchase), they may even
          give you a discounted price.

          This is all stuff that's listed on their website...if there's a
          Leather Factory in your vicinity, they may have other options
          available, too. I've always been really pleased with the products
          I've purchased from them.
        • cometkatt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
            I am also looking for a source for glove leather- we cannot find
            premade gloves to fit our really wide (me)or really long fingered (my
            dd) hands/

            my question tho- i DID go to the tandy site but kept seeing clothing
            weight leather--

            wouldnt that be too Heavy for gloves?? (picturing baseball gloves
            here! LOL!)

            thanks

            rj
          • Randolph Keator

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2007
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "cometkatt"
                <cometkatt@...> wrote:

                > I am also looking for a source for glove leather- we cannot find
                > premade gloves to fit our really wide (me)or really long fingered (my
                > dd) hands/
                >
                > my question tho- i DID go to the tandy site but kept seeing clothing
                > weight leather--
                >
                > wouldnt that be too Heavy for gloves?? (picturing baseball gloves
                > here! LOL!)

                Garment leather is only 2-3 oz thickness. I've never heard of leather
                being split to a weight lighter than that, because at that point, you
                start to lose the integrity of the hide (the leather can't stick to
                itself). A lot of lighter-weight baseball gloves are actually made of
                synthetic materials to allow for the lighter, thinner material (but,
                even then, those often don't last as long as the leather ones).

                It's more a question of how the leather is treated in the tanning
                process...for gloves, you want something soft and supple...which is
                what deerskin and kidskin are most known for. Garment leather, in
                general, is treated to be very flexible, and it's usually made of the
                highest grade leather (because when it's that light, any imperfections
                in the hide will immediately become a problem for splitting or tearing).

                Contact the Leather Factory and ask them to recommend a product for
                making gloves. The one in my area is always extremely helpful for
                such requests. However, 2 oz deerskin is about as soft a leather
                product as you're going to find...there are fabric options for gloves
                that aren't as soft as that.

                What are these gloves for, anyway? Everything I've ever seen leather
                gloves used for required some degree of toughness...so it's a
                compromise between the durability of the leather and the weight. The
                thicker the leather, the tougher the glove.
              • erndoggins
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 12, 2007
                  > What are these gloves for, anyway? Everything I've ever seen leather
                  > gloves used for required some degree of toughness...so it's a
                  > compromise between the durability of the leather and the weight. The
                  > thicker the leather, the tougher the glove.

                  These are ladies dress gloves, as a fashion accessory, for 19th c.
                  American Civil War apparel. They're basically just to look pretty (but
                  still hold together, of course :))

                  A source known as Hide House in the Napa Valley, CA was suggested to
                  me on another list. Their website is hidehouse.com. I called and they
                  were quite helpful, recommending their Plonge line of hides (lots and
                  lots of colors available) for gloves. I'm going to go check it out,
                  though they do mail order as well.