Re: Great fabric.... need ideas

  • xochitl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nyxchild"
      <nyxchild@...> wrote:

      > I ended up finding about 8 yards of medium weight purple/cream/gray
      > plaid wool blend at Goodwill. For the price, I couldn't pass it
      up.
      > ($3.50 for the whole lot!)
      >
      > I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tend to make medieval/ren/
      > elizabethan clothing, using obnoxious fabric (am currently
      collecting
      > fabric to do a psychadelic 60s print elizabethan - it'll be
      hideous!
      > Yay!). Hubby and I mostly do ren faires.
      >
      > Already decided that a celtic dress or cloak would be too boring,
      > unless someone can suggest variations to make them
      more "interesting".
      > I'd really appreciate any input or ideas as to what to make with
      this
      > fabric. Also found some charcoal gray/white pinstripe medium
      weight
      > wool blend (6 yards). Would appreciate advice on that as well.
      >
      > Thanks in advance. :)

      maybe instead of the usual elizabethian you could do a victorian
      piece? I also think a German gown would be intersting for something
      strange.

      you can try this site for Victorian :
      http://trulyvictorian.com/catalog/catalog1.html

      Or this german gown:
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
      s=&c=22&d=33&e=&f=&g=&w=21&q=1&p=57&r=Y

      Or a ladies pirate outfit:
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
      s=&c=22&d=36&e=&f=&g=&w=21&q=1&p=80&r=Y

    • nyxchild
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        ROFL! Love the California Elizabethan! Would love to see pics. My
        most evil creation to date has been the "mad cow" cloak. Black/white
        cow print fake fur with a hot pink/black polkadot satin lining. Gave
        it to a friend as a present, since he also appreciates eye-scalding
        designs.

        Great idea about the pinstripe lawyer outfit! Will definitely have
        to check through designs and see what would look best. Was maybe
        thinking a variation on "the godfather", including maybe a button
        hole for a red carnation, but I like the lawyer idea better. ;)

        Thanks again!

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
        Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

        > Don't know about the plaid, but for the pinstripe - how about a
        > medieval/ren/elizabethan lawyer (solicitor)? Pattern it
        > authentically, but in the pinstripe - then have a "briefcase" pouch
        > and other props....
        >
        > Speaking of your 60's eliz, a friend (from So. Cal) did
        a "California
        > Elizabethan" - neon fabrics, the farthingale was made of several
        > inflatable kids wading pools, the trim was all done in glow
        > necklaces, the shoulder rolls were smaller flotation tubes, the hat
        > was a plastic sand bucket mounted on a ring frisbee with a sand
        > shovel stuck to the side as a plume. Shades and neon colored
        > sunscreen makeup finished it off.
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > At 08:04 AM 5/31/2007, nyxchild wrote:
        > >I ended up finding about 8 yards of medium weight purple/cream/gray
        > >plaid wool blend at Goodwill.
        > >I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tend to make medieval/ren/
        > >elizabethan clothing, using obnoxious fabric.
        > >Also found some charcoal gray/white pinstripe medium weight
        > >wool blend (6 yards). Would appreciate advice on that as well.
        >
        > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
        > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
        >
        > Achemdro'hm
        > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        > -- C.Y. 4971
        >
        > Andromeda

      • nyxchild
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          Hmmm... I've never tried making victorian outfits before. The plaid
          might lend itself well to that style.

          And, btw, absolutely LOVE the german dresses! I'm going to have to
          get that pattern now and play with it. (ideas are brewing already).
          *insert evil laughter here*

          Thanks so much! :)

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "xochitl"