Re: Great fabric.... need ideas

  • xochitl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "nyxchild"
      <nyxchild@...> wrote:

      > I ended up finding about 8 yards of medium weight purple/cream/gray
      > plaid wool blend at Goodwill. For the price, I couldn't pass it
      up.
      > ($3.50 for the whole lot!)
      >
      > I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tend to make medieval/ren/
      > elizabethan clothing, using obnoxious fabric (am currently
      collecting
      > fabric to do a psychadelic 60s print elizabethan - it'll be
      hideous!
      > Yay!). Hubby and I mostly do ren faires.
      >
      > Already decided that a celtic dress or cloak would be too boring,
      > unless someone can suggest variations to make them
      more "interesting".
      > I'd really appreciate any input or ideas as to what to make with
      this
      > fabric. Also found some charcoal gray/white pinstripe medium
      weight
      > wool blend (6 yards). Would appreciate advice on that as well.
      >
      > Thanks in advance. :)

      maybe instead of the usual elizabethian you could do a victorian
      piece? I also think a German gown would be intersting for something
      strange.

      you can try this site for Victorian :
      http://trulyvictorian.com/catalog/catalog1.html

      Or this german gown:
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
      s=&c=22&d=33&e=&f=&g=&w=21&q=1&p=57&r=Y

      Or a ladies pirate outfit:
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?
      s=&c=22&d=36&e=&f=&g=&w=21&q=1&p=80&r=Y

    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2007
        Don't know about the plaid, but for the pinstripe - how about a
        medieval/ren/elizabethan lawyer (solicitor)? Pattern it
        authentically, but in the pinstripe - then have a "briefcase" pouch
        and other props....

        Speaking of your 60's eliz, a friend (from So. Cal) did a "California
        Elizabethan" - neon fabrics, the farthingale was made of several
        inflatable kids wading pools, the trim was all done in glow
        necklaces, the shoulder rolls were smaller flotation tubes, the hat
        was a plastic sand bucket mounted on a ring frisbee with a sand
        shovel stuck to the side as a plume. Shades and neon colored
        sunscreen makeup finished it off.

        Sandy

        At 08:04 AM 5/31/2007, nyxchild wrote:
        >I ended up finding about 8 yards of medium weight purple/cream/gray
        >plaid wool blend at Goodwill.
        >I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tend to make medieval/ren/
        >elizabethan clothing, using obnoxious fabric.
        >Also found some charcoal gray/white pinstripe medium weight
        >wool blend (6 yards). Would appreciate advice on that as well.

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • nyxchild
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          ROFL! Love the California Elizabethan! Would love to see pics. My
          most evil creation to date has been the "mad cow" cloak. Black/white
          cow print fake fur with a hot pink/black polkadot satin lining. Gave
          it to a friend as a present, since he also appreciates eye-scalding
          designs.

          Great idea about the pinstripe lawyer outfit! Will definitely have
          to check through designs and see what would look best. Was maybe
          thinking a variation on "the godfather", including maybe a button
          hole for a red carnation, but I like the lawyer idea better. ;)

          Thanks again!

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Pierre & Sandy
          Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

          > Don't know about the plaid, but for the pinstripe - how about a
          > medieval/ren/elizabethan lawyer (solicitor)? Pattern it
          > authentically, but in the pinstripe - then have a "briefcase" pouch
          > and other props....
          >
          > Speaking of your 60's eliz, a friend (from So. Cal) did
          a "California
          > Elizabethan" - neon fabrics, the farthingale was made of several
          > inflatable kids wading pools, the trim was all done in glow
          > necklaces, the shoulder rolls were smaller flotation tubes, the hat
          > was a plastic sand bucket mounted on a ring frisbee with a sand
          > shovel stuck to the side as a plume. Shades and neon colored
          > sunscreen makeup finished it off.
          >
          > Sandy
          >
          > At 08:04 AM 5/31/2007, nyxchild wrote:
          > >I ended up finding about 8 yards of medium weight purple/cream/gray
          > >plaid wool blend at Goodwill.
          > >I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tend to make medieval/ren/
          > >elizabethan clothing, using obnoxious fabric.
          > >Also found some charcoal gray/white pinstripe medium weight
          > >wool blend (6 yards). Would appreciate advice on that as well.
          >
          > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
          > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
          >
          > Achemdro'hm
          > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          > -- C.Y. 4971
          >
          > Andromeda

        • nyxchild
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
            Hmmm... I've never tried making victorian outfits before. The plaid
            might lend itself well to that style.

            And, btw, absolutely LOVE the german dresses! I'm going to have to
            get that pattern now and play with it. (ideas are brewing already).
            *insert evil laughter here*

            Thanks so much! :)

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "xochitl"