RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Dying tights

  • Poppy Shell
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2007
      ALOHA: As per dying tights, I recently bought from the We Love Colors
      website mentioned earlier, very bright pink, purple and orange tights and
      black tights for my production of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE for the Speed
      Typists to wear. I bought extra, in case of snags or runs. They were very
      tough little tights for $8 and none did end up needing to be replaced. Worn
      for 10 performances with no problems. Yes, dying can work, but why bother
      if we can save the time?? We always make our actors pay for their own
      undergarments, tights included, so they don't have to cost you anything if
      you are involved in community or school theater. Poppy on Kauai

    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2007
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mom4a2g"
        <Mom4abcde@...> wrote:

        > Can tights be dyed? If so, does RIT work? I'm having trouble finding
        > tights in grey, yellow and brown for bird legs. So I was thinking I
        > would get white and dye them.

        I have tried that, and it does work...however, if your tights get
        air-bubbles in them, and you don't have time to have someone sit and
        babysit them while they're in the dye bath, you can end up with REALLY
        inconsistent color. There are a number of places online that sell
        color tights, in a broad range of colors, at incredibly reasonable prices.

        And, white tights are NOT necessarily cheaper than colored ones. I'm
        not sure where you're buying them, but I've never seen white listed as
        a cheaper option anywhere I've had to buy tights.
      • Clay
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2007
          RIT will work for organic fibers, but the colors have a tendency to be on
          the gray side. Because tights are a synthetic (oil-based) fiber, the best
          you will get with RIT is a light tint rather than a vibrant color. I
          recommend you look at the Jacquard line of dyes. I get them from a local
          weaving and spinning store. They have dye lines appropriate to the
          chemistry for all the various types of fibers, and the colors dye dark and
          rich.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2007
            Not true if the tights are nylon. Nylon dyes very well with Rit.

            On May 3, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Clay wrote:

            > RIT will work for organic fibers, but the colors have a tendency to be
            > on
            > the gray side. Because tights are a synthetic (oil-based) fiber, the
            > best
            > you will get with RIT is a light tint rather than a vibrant color. I
            > recommend you look at the Jacquard line of dyes. I get them from a
            > local
            > weaving and spinning store. They have dye lines appropriate to the
            > chemistry for all the various types of fibers, and the colors dye
            > dark and
            > rich.
            >
            > --

          • chatteutile
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2007
              I agree with Sylvia. I've dyed nylon tights in several bright colors
              (including yellow for birds in "Honk!") and have always been pleased
              with the results. I've also used darker tones and never got a greyish
              cast or a tint instead of saturated color.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
              <sylvia@...> wrote:

              > Not true if the tights are nylon. Nylon dyes very well with Rit.
              >

              > On May 3, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Clay wrote:
              >
              > > RIT will work for organic fibers, but the colors have a tendency
              to be
              > > on
              > > the gray side. Because tights are a synthetic (oil-based) fiber, the
              > > best
              > > you will get with RIT is a light tint rather than a vibrant color. I
              > > recommend you look at the Jacquard line of dyes. I get them from a
              > > local
              > > weaving and spinning store. They have dye lines appropriate to the
              > > chemistry for all the various types of fibers, and the colors dye
              > > dark and
              > > rich.
              > >
              > > --

            • Cynthia Spilsted
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 13, 2007
                Any good dye will work - but you need to use cotton tights. Dance tights work very well for dying - I have done them many times for bird, cow or whatever...

                mom4a2g <Mom4abcde@...> wrote: Can tights be dyed? If so, does RIT work? I'm having trouble finding
                tights in grey, yellow and brown for bird legs. So I was thinking I
                would get white and dye them. (Plus, I think white will be cheaper.)
                Stephanie

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Nylon tights with spandex dye very well too. Polyester not.

                  On Jun 13, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

                  > Any good dye will work - but you need to use cotton tights. Dance
                  > tights work very well for dying - I have done them many times for
                  > bird, cow or whatever...
                  >
                  > mom4a2g <Mom4abcde@...> wrote: Can tights be dyed? If so, does
                  > RIT work? I'm having trouble finding
                  > tights in grey, yellow and brown for bird legs. So I was thinking I
                  > would get white and dye them. (Plus, I think white will be cheaper.)
                  > Stephanie

                • Stephanie Barrett