Make-Up and Costumes

  • magiclblingbling
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2007
      Hi guys,
      I am sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I use this place as a reliable information resource, so
      any help you can give would be... well, helpful.
      Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to give rub-off make-up (meaning it's not a
      spill, just it gets on clothing after contact with people wearing make-up) off of delicate or
      nice clothing (like a suit jacket) without having to dry clean it or anything.
      So, any tips for removing stage make-up out of clothing would be wonderful (I've looked
      through books and reliable-looking sites of make-up manufacturers and such but to no
      avail) and thanks so much for the help!
      Nicole
    • NJgardner@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2007
        Hi Nicole
        You used to be able to get a dry cleaning fluid at any grocery store or
        notions counter, but the ingredient , carbon tetrachloride, is banned or
        restricted. Joann's Fabrics has a display near their notions wall of
        Carbona products. You might be able to find something there. If not,
        check with a drycleaning supply place. They might have some sort of
        spotting fluid you coul use.
        pat
        > I am sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I use this place as a reliable
        > information resource, so
        > any help you can give would be... well, helpful.
        > Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to give rub-off make-up
        > (meaning it's not a
        > spill, just it gets on clothing after contact with people wearing make-up)
        > off of delicate or
        > nice clothing (like a suit jacket) without having to dry clean it or
        > anything.
        > So, any tips for removing stage make-up out of clothing would be wonderful
        > (I've looked
        > through books and reliable-looking sites of make-up manufacturers and such
        > but to no
        > avail) and thanks so much for the help!
        > Nicole
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        > 3:23 PM

      • teela depond

          > I am sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I use this place as a reliable
          > information resource, so
          > any help you can give would be... well, helpful.
          > Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to give rub-off make-up
          > (meaning it's not a
          > spill, just it gets on clothing after contact with people wearing make-up)
          > off of delicate or
          > nice clothing (like a suit jacket) without having to dry clean it or
          > anything.
          > So, any tips for removing stage make-up out of clothing would be wonderful
          > (I've looked
          > through books and reliable-looking sites of make-up manufacturers and such
          > but to no
          > avail) and thanks so much for the help!
          > Nicole
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          > 3:23 PM

          Teela

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2007
            In a message dated 4/27/2007 1:25:01 AM Central Standard Time,
            NJgardner@... writes:

            Hi Nicole
            You used to be able to get a dry cleaning fluid at any grocery store or
            notions counter, but the ingredient , carbon tetrachloride, is banned or
            restricted. Joann's Fabrics has a display near their notions wall of
            Carbona products. You might be able to find something there. If not,
            check with a drycleaning supply place. They might have some sort of
            spotting fluid you coul use.
            pat

            I have a bar of Carbona soap, and use it all the time. I've even had good
            luck with it removing old make-up stains. Great stuff!

            Donna

            Artistic Director
            St. Louis Shakespeare and
            Magic Smoking Monkey Theatre
            4579 Laclede Avenue, #345
            St. Louis, MO 63108
            (314) 361-5664

            FINAL PERFORMANCES:
            Magic Smoking Monkey Theatre's
            PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE: LIVE!
            April 20 - 28 at the Regional Arts Commission

            Subscriptions now available for our exciting 23rd season:
            OTHELLO - July 20 - 29, 2007
            Tom Stoppard's DOGG'S HAMLET, CAHOOT'S MACBETH - August 10 - 19, 2007
            A TALE OF TWO CITIES - August 31 - September 9, 2007
            THE COMEDY OF ERRORS - March 7 - 16, 2008

            Tickets available through MetroTix at (314) 534-1111

          • Curtis
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2007
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "magiclblingbling"
              <DeadDoveDoNotEat@...> wrote:

              > Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to give rub-off
              make-up (meaning it's not a
              > spill, just it gets on clothing after contact with people wearing
              make-up) off of delicate or
              > nice clothing (like a suit jacket) without having to dry clean it or
              anything.

              I've had excellent success using Spot Shot and other carpet cleaning
              compounds (Resolve doesn't seem to work quite as well, though it does
              help). You want to test it on your fabric, somewhere
              unobtrusive...but I've even managed to take black eyeliner out of
              ivory dupioni silk without so much as a trace (and I could literally
              blast lipstick right out of white cotton without any problems). There
              used to be a product called Thoro that was also pretty good at
              spot-removal of stuff (it was really great for taking scuffs off vinyl
              shoes, too)...but I haven't seen any of it on the shelves anywhere
              lately, so I'm afraid it may have gone the way of many other
              effective-but-hazardous cleaners.
            • Randolph Keator
                > I am sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I use this place as a reliable
                > information resource, so
                > any help you can give would be... well, helpful.
                > Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to give rub-off make-up
                > (meaning it's not a
                > spill, just it gets on clothing after contact with people wearing make-up)
                > off of delicate or
                > nice clothing (like a suit jacket) without having to dry clean it or
                > anything.
                > So, any tips for removing stage make-up out of clothing would be wonderful
                > (I've looked
                > through books and reliable-looking sites of make-up manufacturers and such
                > but to no
                > avail) and thanks so much for the help!
                > Nicole
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --
                > 3:23 PM

              • Nicole Case
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2007
                  Thanks so much everyone for the response!

                  Randolph, do you think other brands of lighter fluid besides just zippo
                  would work for that? I just bought a can of fluid for this same show (I'm
                  also on props since I'm crazy) and would be willing to try that on a sample
                  if you think it would be safe.

                  Thanks again everyone!

                  On 4/28/07, Randolph Keator <rkeator@...> wrote:

                  > Some dry cleaning shops sell small bottles of "spot" cleaner which
                  > should remove most if not all types of make-up. In a pinch and depending on
                  > the material, lighter fluid ( the kind the old Zippos use ) will work. Spot
                  > test on a small sample first.

                • Kat Hannon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2007
                    I wouldn't, not even the Zippo brand. Lighter Fluid on clothes is NEVER safe. Period.

                    Nicole Case <DeadDoveDoNotEat@...> wrote: Thanks so much everyone for the response!

                    =^.^=

                    "If a man could be crossed with a cat,
                    It would improve the man,
                    but it would deteriorate the cat."
                    Mark Twain
                    Please note that Mark Twain specified
                    that the cross would improve the MAN,
                    no need to include women in that.
                    Women and cats are perfect as is.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2007
                      Not Randolph, but I don't think lighter fluid is safe, and certainly not for
                      a last minute fix. The smell is strong and it needs to be blotted out
                      completely and aired out. If you can get to any discount store, Joanns or
                      other chain fabric store, look for the Carbona display - they have tons of
                      remedies for different fabrics and stains, and I don't htink you'll have to
                      worry about someone setting their costume on fire if they sneak outside for
                      a smoke!

                      Good Luck!
                      Pat
                      > Thanks so much everyone for the response!
                      >
                      > Randolph, do you think other brands of lighter fluid besides just zippo
                      > would work for that? I just bought a can of fluid for this same show (I'm
                      > also on props since I'm crazy) and would be willing to try that on a
                      > sample
                      > if you think it would be safe.
                      >
                      > Thanks again everyone!

                    • Randolph Keator
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2007
                        Yes. Most all of them use the same chemical. You could also try depending again on the fabric some VMP, also known in most hardware depts as Naptha or Benzine which is a key ingredient in drycleaning solvent. Hope it helps.(~:
                        Thanks so much everyone for the response!

                        Randolph, do you think other brands of lighter fluid besides just zippo
                        would work for that? I just bought a can of fluid for this same show (I'm
                        also on props since I'm crazy) and would be willing to try that on a sample
                        if you think it would be safe.

                        Thanks again everyone!

                        On 4/28/07, Randolph Keator <rkeator@...> wrote:

                        > Some dry cleaning shops sell small bottles of "spot" cleaner which
                        > should remove most if not all types of make-up. In a pinch and depending on
                        > the material, lighter fluid ( the kind the old Zippos use ) will work. Spot
                        > test on a small sample first.

                      • Nicole Case
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 29, 2007
                          Ah, sorry about the name confusion, or thanks for answering too!
                          Yeah, I didn't realize the suit was not the department's and was actually
                          the actor's nice suit, so he said he'll opt out of using the lighter fluid
                          and try something else later like dry cleaning. It was a very small bit of
                          rub-off make-up, so it wasn't distractingly noticeable from stage, but I am
                          probably going to go to the carbona display at joann's very soon here anyway
                          because that stuff sounds like magic.
                          Thanks again everyone for all your help!!
                          Nicole