Costume Society of America National Symposium in San Diego

  • haileen77
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi all,

      I hope you're all planning on attending the Costume Society of
      America's annual symposium - the registration due date is fast
      approaching. I'm biased, of course, because I'll be presenting a paper
      the first day and would love you all to come (on some etchings done by
      a bay area artist of visitors to the Exposition on Treasure Island in
      1940).

      The complete list of activities and lectures is available to download
      here: http://www.costumes ocietyamerica. com/CSA/CSA2007s chedule.pdf

      To register for the CSA National Symposium, please visit:
      http://www.costumes ocietyamerica. com/natsym. htm

      - single day registrations are available
      - I'm staying at the youth hostel (in a private room) very close to
      the conference hotel to cut down on costs - email me if you want the info.

      The 33rd Annual CSA National Symposium
      San Diego, CA
      May 29-June 3, 2007

      Join the Costume Society of America and fashion icon Zandra Rhodes in
      one of the best vacation spots in the world, at "Faires, Fiestas and
      Expositions: Costume as Cultural Exchange," the 33rd Annual National
      Symposium in San Diego . Wear your fiesta finery and join us in the
      beautiful rooftop Palm Terrace Lounge of the Omni Hotel on May 31 for
      margaritas and mariachi music to celebrate our Fiesta theme and to
      honor Zandra Rhodes.

      The Symposium will include:

      * Academic papers presented based on our theme and representing
      the most current aspects of fashion, costume and textile research as
      well as professional development panels and workshops
      * Tours of the local San Diego area, including Balboa Park, San
      Diego Historical Society and the Old Globe Theater Tour
      * Tour to Historic Del Coronado Hotel where "Some Like it Hot" was
      filmed (June 3)
      * Pre-Symposium Angels' Project: Volunteers will work with the
      Ramona Pioneer Historical Society at the Guy B. Woodward Museum in
      Ramona, CA. (May 29)
      * Pre-Symposium "Care of Collections" session with Harold Mailand
      and Louise Coffey-Webb (May 30)
      * Post-Symposium Tour to Historic Del Coronado: brunch and tour of
      the historic hotel where "Some Like it Hot" was filmed (June 3)
      * Post-Symposium Workshops: "Vionnet's Bias Cut" with Nancy Bryant
      and "Comparing Couture Characteristics" with Claire Shaeffer (June 3)
      * Post-Symposium workshop: "Packing and Shipping Three-Dimensional
      Costume Accessories" with Elizabeth Walton, Archivist with
      NBC-Universal Studios Archives and Collections (June 3)
      * Post-Symposium Self-Guided Tour to Tijuana
      * "Mariachis and Margaritas" reception with fiesta music and a
      multi-media display
      * Shopping at the marketplace or through the silent auction

      To volunteer, please contact Jo Ann Stabb at jcstabb@ucdavis. edu.

      Heather Vaughan
      Fashion & Costume Historian
      haileen77@...