Broad use suggestions for Costume Storage

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2007
      I was the resident costumer at the local high school for nine
      years.They store their clothing by style(skirts,blouses,long
      dresses,short dresses)and BY COLOR.Think about it. When you need a
      dress,you look for a specific color,THEN you decide if you can alter
      it for a specific period.The mens' clothing is stored as
      shirts,sweaters,pants,suits,then coats.Also BY COLOR.LIGHT TO
      DARK.Each section then has it's own obvious starting and ending.We
      had a uniform section that included religious(all the Sound of Music
      nuns,for example,or the gas station attendant's shirt,or the Guys
      and Dolls Salvation Army uniforms).We had an Ethnic section to hold
      kilts,and kimonos,and the like.And we had a section for Fantasy that
      held the weird specific things like the Wolf from Into The Woods,and
      the palm tree and frog costumes.We had a rehearsal costume section
      that held long muslin skirts and capes for actors to use during play
      labs or rehearsals.We had an all black section of long sleeved t-
      shirts and pull on pants for backstage techies,or set changers or
      puppeteers.The walls had drawers (that some very dedicated parent
      must have built) to hold ties,scarves,belts,hose,and anything else
      that couldn't be hung up. The bottom row of drawers held all the
      shoes.BY SIZE.This took a few days of student help to set up,but it
      has been MORE than worth it!Each pair is sized inside with a Sharpie
      and sprayed with Lysol after each performance.The hats are in
      numbered boxes.Each hat has been photographed with a digital
      camera,the photo placed in a three ring binder,and numbered as to
      which box it is in.And last but not least,the room floor plan is
      posted on one wall for all to see,along with a strongly worded
      warning about not putting things away that have not been cleaned
      first.It is right next to the "Things to be filed" rack.Good Luck!
      Elizabeth