Men's suit sizing

  • mcanterdale
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi All -

      I have just joined the group and am newer to the costuming world...am
      really enjoying it, but am wondering if there are any tips or tricks
      for getting the best fit on jackets for mens suits the very first
      time (other than building one.)

      Usually I will go by the chest measurement (snug) and add two inches -
      but have come into quite a few obstacles given different body shapes
      and sizes - my biggest dilemma is fitting those who have a bit more in
      the middle - but trying to get a size that is not too big on the
      chest/shoulders or two small on the waist. Any formulas or advice?

      Thanks
    • Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        Hi mcanterdale:

        I am not an expert in this area and find it difficult myself - especially given the different
        kinds of cuts for suit jackets. However, when fitting a suit to someone with a bit more in
        the midsection, I tend to use that area as my measurement base (as if it were chest) so the
        jacket is able to be buttoned appropriately ...then alter down the rest of the jacket in other
        areas if necessary. It seems "vented" jacket styles work a bit better with this body type.
        Then I check for "standard" fits elsewhere like sleeve length, enough ease, no rippling, etc.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mcanterdale" <mcanterdale@...>