Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] women's clothing sizes

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31 4:56 PM
      I have my own sizing on my website, but once in awhile a customer
      orders something, as just happened the other day, and said she was a
      size 18. I wanted to get started on it and couldn't get an answer back
      from her, due to, what I just discovered, was a power outage, so that
      is why I was asking about standards. All I needed was a waist
      measurement and it was a rush order, so I was anxious to get to work on
      it.

      On Mar 31, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Alexadbw@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/31/2007 11:01:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > sylvia@... writes:
      >
      > Thanks, but since these were the sizes for clothing in the 1940s, they
      > don't help me now, due to vanity sizing. I guess since every company
      > pretty much makes up their own sizing standards, there isn't even an
      > approximate standard anymore.
      >
      > That's about the "size"of it!!! What a size 16 is depends on who you
      > ask!!!
      > If you don't want to use the charts, then you might just have to go by
      > measurements alone, which is, I suppose, the best thing. If you
      > follow the links on
      > the site, you will find that there is no real standard sizes. I
      > remember in
      > high school in the late 60's the pattern companies revamped their
      > sizing but I
      > can't remember what exactly they did. I just remember having to
      > adjust to the
      > "new sizing"
      >
      > If you need something to aid in buying for your web site, you can
      > make your
      > own chart the way a lot of catalogs and web sites do.
      > Alexa

    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
        On this topic, does anyone know where I could find
        something similar for children's sizes? I've pretty much
        got the women's sizes, but I've no standard for children.
        All the best,
        Jess

        --- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > The pattern companies use the standards from the 1940s
        > that are listed
        > on this site. I take a size 14 in patterns, but usually
        > wear a 6-8 in
        > ready to wear.
        >
        > On Mar 31, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Loretta Armstrong wrote:
        >
        > > I always find the back of a pattern envelope works
        > really well. 8-) I
        > > don't know if the pattern companies have that info on
        > line, but I
        > > think they do.
        > > When I was costuming in college, I had a couple of
        > those sizes
        > > memorized (just the bust, waist and hip meansurements)
        > so I could
        > > categorize the actresses in my head. But that was a
        > while ago. 8-P
        > > Loretta
        > >
        > > Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote: Does anyone
        > know of a website
        > > that lists measurements for women's
        > > clothing sizes? I know there is a lot of variation in
        > the market, but
        > > if I at least had a ballpark idea of what for
        > instance, a size 18
        > > means
        > > in terms of measurements, it would help me in my
        > business.
        > >

        > > Lots o' lamina....
        > > laminathegreat.etsy.com
        > > laminathegreat.livejournal.com
        > > and maybe sometime again...soon.
        > > www.laminathegreat.com

        - - - - - - - - - -
        “If the world could have seen what I have seen, feel what I have felt, there would be no more war, only love.” -MLC

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
          In a message dated 4/3/2007 3:48:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          siebelsan@... writes:

          but I've no standard for children.
          All the best,

          The same site has sizes for children. Of course, as with women's clothing
          there is no true standard, but at least it is a starting point.

          Alexa

          _http://www.apparelsearch.com/fitting_room.htm_
          (http://www.apparelsearch.com/fitting_room.htm)

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
            I think the pattern sizes listed for children are pretty accurate.

            Sylrog