Re: Shakespearean Theater costuming

  • cyncorley
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2007
      Stage Beauty is actually about Restoration theatre--that is the 1660s
      and on, not Elizabethan.
      A good reference book about stage costuming is "Costume on the Stage
      1600-1940" by Diana deMarly. She's a good scholar and very accurate.
      She writes that actors supplied their own linen and accessories while
      the company paid for the costumes, which could be expensive,
      especially for tragic costumes which were expected to be much more
      sumptuous. The lists made by the managers of some of the Elizabethan
      playhouses record amazing stuff with gold and silver lace, silk
      satins and velvets. Some of the pieces were actually pieces sold or
      given to the companies by aristocrats and even royalty. Cromwell sold
      even off some of Henry VIIIs clothes to the playhouses!
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
      <sylvia@...> wrote:

      > Yes, Stage Beauty is the one.
      >
      > On Mar 30, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Susan Cassidy wrote:
      >
      > > Did you mean "Stage Beauty"? Other favorite -"Shakespeare in Love"
      > >
      > > _____
      > >
      > > From: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Sylvia