Re: Making a natural beard white

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2007
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Terry"
      <dunlopterry@...> wrote:

      > Anyone have any tricks to making a natural beard white for the
      > character King Lear? The actor's beard is naturaly red with graying in
      > the middle. He is agreeable to most anything.

      Ben Nye sells a variety of hair-coloring liquids. I've found my best
      results come from pouring the liquid into a larger, flatter container
      (an old makeup pot that's been cleaned out works well), and using an
      old toothbrush (or cheap one from a dollar store, if you or the actor
      has issues with using someone's old toothbrush in a beard) to apply
      it, brushing the color through the hair. I've also used the same
      technique to brush white cream-based makeup (or other colors)...it
      gives a good, natural-looking streak effect, with some hints of the
      regular color showing but enough of the makeup/hair color covering it
      up to be effective.

      I have also air-brushed colors into facial hair, which doesn't look
      quite as natural, but is much less time-consuming...if you've got
      someone who's familiar with an airbrush (it's easy to overload the
      hair and end up with liquid makeup dripping where you don't want it).

      --Curtis