Re: shortening dress - suggestions please

  • earhtmother
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29 3:20 PM
      > Well, it depends on why it's 9" too long. If it's just a long dress
      and you want a short dress, then chopping off the bottom is OK.
      However, if you're short waisted, or generally short proportioned...
      you're going to need to adjust all over. If you do, be sure to make a
      mock up muslin to make sure that you made the adjustments in the right
      place. As to skirt width at the bottom, you need more for a longer
      skirt. You might want a bit more width, 'cause the look will be a bit
      different.... but check that all out at the muslin stage.

      Am definately making muslin so will be able to check out nfit before
      cutting proper dress. The 9" is because the pattern is made from
      someone of model height and I am only 5'. Hemming is my usual chore on
      all clothes bought or made. I was assuming that 83" would be fine for
      width . but maybe I will go measure width at bottom of some of my
      longer skirts to make sure. Was hoping that if measurments were right
      could use muslin for casual dress. "Waste not want not" is a mantra
      around here.

      Elaine