Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] sewing help..newish sewer

  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23, 2007
      All the suggestions have been good, and here's another one:

      At the top of the shoulder, or just past it onto the back on each
      strap, cut off the remainder and tuck in the ends. Make 2 narrow or
      spaghetti straps for each side (or use fancy cording, chain, etc. and
      tuck the ends into the front straps, then sew shut. Interlace the
      straps across the back, attaching the ones closest to the neck to the
      side back where the top edge of the strap would attach in the
      original pattern. Attach the other ones further down, about midway
      from where the lower edge of the strap originally was, to the new low
      back hip.

      This is more an engineering problem than anything, and this should
      keep the sides from gapping and support the lower cut of the back as
      well. You might need a friend to help with getting the exact length
      of the back straps when all else is done. Make them longer than you
      need, it's easier to remove than to add....

      Plus side, you get an interesting design item in the back....

      Sandy

      At 09:57 AM 3/23/2007, you wrote:

      >I am not a complete novice but with time limit and not a lot of
      >recent sewing would like some "experienced" input. I have a dress to
      >sew for a wedding in 2 weeks (thought I had 5)and I would like to
      >make what I think are small adjustments but would like a second
      >opinion as to if they are sructurally sound. I am using Vogue 8358 I
      >have no bust and definate hips. I also have tattoos I love from the
      >bust up, full back and upper arms .. the reason I chose this
      >pattern. I would like to narrow the back straps from their current
      >3.25" to 1.5" and if the back is not as low as I want to lower it
      >possibly to just above hips. Is this possible? I will have a lace
      >jacket on top so that the niceties are observed while in church but
      >can be more myself at reception :) I was assuming that once I had the
      >pattern cut if the back was not as low as I wanted I could just trim
      >it to the depth I desired without comprimising the sides too much, or
      >am I mistaken? The same goes for the straps if I folded them in half
      >before cutting. Any assistance is very welcome. The ladies at my
      >local fabric store weren't sure as this is a more "daring" pattern
      >than any of them have attempted design wise(back is main drawback).
      >I don't have time or material to recut so if this is not going to
      >work the way I am thinking I need to know.
      >
      >Many many thanks guys & girls
      >
      >Elaine

      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
      Are Doomed to Repeat It;