Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: nurses caps

  • Spidra Webster
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
      On Mar 12, 2007, at 11:55 AM, calinda13 wrote:

      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
      > <sylvia@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> This is actually a cap that would have been worn in the
      > Netherlands in
      >> the 1940s.
      >
      > This is different then. European caps in that period resembled veils
      > see http://www.nursepostcard.com/gallery.html for some images. I
      > have a couple of WWI/WWII era Red Cross "caps" like this.

      Interesting! I can see from the link that as late as the '30s Italy
      had such styles. Another reference that page should add is Romaine
      Brooks' fantastic painting "The Cross of France". WWI-era

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Romaine_Brooks_-
      _The_Cross_of_France.jpg
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
        Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind for the future. I actually
        have a photo of the Dutch nurse whose costume I need to copy and it
        doesnt have a veil. Maybe because she's not a real licensed nurse.
        She helps out in a sort of orphanage.

        Sylvia