Faux Fur

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002

      Allo all,

      Does anyone know any good sources for fake fur?  I got a few inquiries about things like a fur bikini to wear beneath a chinmail bra and loincloth, fur pants for a Pan costume, and a full-length fur-lined cloak.  The bikini I may do with rabbit furs that I can buy at a nearby store for about $3 apiece, but I don't feel like sewing a billion of the things together for the cloak, and rabbit fur isn't the right texture for the pants.  I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know what I mean?

      Thanks much

      Jessie

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • neimhaille
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002
        >I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know
        what I mean?

        It's technically Autumn here (Auckland however is sub tropical, not
        really as glorious as it sounds;)- so it's the start of the rainy
        season)- and my nearest 2nd hand warehouse is chock full of fur
        coats, from very definately real astrahkan to stuff nearly fooling me
        to bright blue very definately fake fur.

        I would offer to get something for you but with shipping etc it
        wouldn't be worth it;)

        Maybe you could try some 2nd hand goods stores near you? An antique
        store that deals with clothing might be a good place too.

        These coats are usually very well cared for. And if real, I have
        heard a good way to clean them is to use corn flour. Simply shake it
        on, let it get right into the pile, leave it to absorb oils etc and
        brush it out. I use it in my hair occasionally If it looks a little
        oily. Works a treat.

        Hope this helps in some way:)

        michaela
        up to her neck getting various web sites fully functional.. sigh
      • Kathryn Parke
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002
          Here are several you may find helpful -- I just bought some great "orangutan" fur from I'm Stuffed Fur, myself.

          http://imstuffedfur.com/
          http://fabulousfurs.com/quicklist.asp?CAT_NBR=9
          http://www.big4fabrics.com/
          http://store.yahoo.com/hancockfabricstore/fur.html

          Hope one of these helps --
          KP

          Siebel San wrote:

          Allo all,

          Does anyone know any good sources for fake fur?  I got a few inquiries about things like a fur bikini to wear beneath a chinmail bra and loincloth, fur pants for a Pan costume, and a full-length fur-lined cloak.  The bikini I may do with rabbit furs that I can buy at a nearby store for about $3 apiece, but I don't feel like sewing a billion of the things together for the cloak, and rabbit fur isn't the right texture for the pants.  I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know what I mean?

          Thanks much

          Jessie

          - - - - - - - - - -

        • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2002
            If you read the announcement carefully, you will note that the message is a
            forward, not a message from a person on this list. To find out more about
            the forwarded job announcement you will need to directly contact the email
            wundersg@... listed in the announcement, not this list, or me.

            --
            ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
            Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2002

              Hey all,

              Thanks for the links Kathryn - they are great!  And that was a great idea Micheala, the Slavation Army stores around here always have old fur coats.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Thanks for all your help!

              -Jessie

            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2002

                I have a burn-test kit that I'd like to sell, if anyone is interested.  I bought it for a class, and we never used it, and the university book store won't buy it back because they like to make a profit off the students.  None of the samples have been used, and the package was only opened in order for me to list what's inside.  There are 20 fiber samples (email me for the complete list) and a chart indicating what each fiber will do a) when approaching flame, b) when in flame, c) after removal from flame, d) what the ash looks like, and e) the ordor emitted.

                I don't recall exactly what I paid for the kit (only that my total book bill was over $300 and so far I've only gotten $18 back) but I'd like to try and sell it for $15, that is shipping included.  Make me an offer if that sounds too steep.  Email me at SiebelSan@... if interested.  Thanks :-)

                Jessie