spats

  • Jennifer Silverman
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
      I was wondering if anyone had or knew of a good spats pattern. I need
      to make some for an upcoming show for Hello Dolly
    • Carla Pollard
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
        I also costumed Hello Dolly and made my own spats by looking at a photo (which I don't have anymore) but I found this.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spat_commons_2.JPG

        It is a super simple design to duplicate. I used black elastic to go under the shoe and velcro to close them around the foot (and I closed them in the back). I glued buttons vs. sew. Didn't matter on stage, they looked sewn. Further, I took a marker to make the "seam" on the side. Worked really well.

      • Alexadbw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
          In a message dated 3/3/2007 9:58:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          jssilver1204@... writes:
          I was wondering if anyone had or knew of a good spats pattern. I need
          to make some for an upcoming show for Hello Dolly
          Unless you can make them for less, go to a site that sells band uniforms.
          This site has them for $4.50, but a little web searching might turn up a lower
          price. Used???

          Alexa

        • vickdamom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
            we just did some thing similar with MAME. we made boot spats for the hunt
            scene....worked great!

          • teela depond
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
              Does anyone have any ideas, photos, sources, etc. for constructing very large hats circa 1910 but BIGGER! I've collected some photos, sources, buckram forms but still looking for tried and true ideas. My big problem is going to be stabilizing them on the dancers' heads i think. They are going to be that look but exaggerated.

              Teela

            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                Don't know about sources, etc. but stabilizing, here goes ....

                Will the dancers' hair be put up or somehow styled to be able to
                anchor the hats? If so, there are 2 things you can do...
                1. - The old-fashioned way - long hat pins. Several of them.
                2. - run a wire around the inside of the crown where it joins the
                brim. At center back, take the wire down in a curve to the nape of
                the neck and back up again. Try the hat on the dancer, sliding the
                wire under the updo down the back of the head. It will take some
                tweaking to get it to sit correctly and not poke them, but it will
                stabilize it front to back. Then add the hatpins. This is how some
                of the Vegas showgirl headpieces stay on.

                Sandy

                At 08:42 AM 3/5/2007, you wrote:

                >Does anyone have any ideas, photos, sources, etc. for constructing
                >very large hats circa 1910 but BIGGER! I've collected some photos,
                >sources, buckram forms but still looking for tried and true ideas.
                >My big problem is going to be stabilizing them on the dancers' heads
                >i think. They are going to be that look but exaggerated.
                >
                >Teela

                "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C.Y. 4971

                Andromeda
              • teela depond
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                  thanks. i have alot of hatpins around somewhere. some will have "hairpieces" attached to sides of hat and some will have hair swept up under hat. i guess i can use large bows on a couple of them to secure but i will try the wiring at the back of the head to keep them steady back ot front. i am searching for a "cage" to place over the head. one year i used a cut up bike helmet.....

                  Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote: Don't know about sources, etc. but stabilizing, here goes ....

                  At 08:42 AM 3/5/2007, you wrote:

                  >Does anyone have any ideas, photos, sources, etc. for constructing
                  >very large hats circa 1910 but BIGGER! I've collected some photos,
                  >sources, buckram forms but still looking for tried and true ideas.
                  >My big problem is going to be stabilizing them on the dancers' heads
                  >i think. They are going to be that look but exaggerated.
                  >
                  >Teela

                  "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                  Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                  Achemdro'hm
                  "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                  -- C.Y. 4971

                  Andromeda

                  Teela

                • Mary
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                    What about trying to contact the costuming staff of "Beach Blanket
                    Babylon"? They are famous (notorious?) for their huge hats:
                    http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/gallery.cfm

                    There's an email address on the website: bbb@...

                    HTH,
                    ~mary

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, teela depond
                    <teelabythesea@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone have any ideas, photos, sources, etc. for constructing
                    very large hats circa 1910 but BIGGER! I've collected some photos,
                    sources, buckram forms but still looking for tried and true ideas. My
                    big problem is going to be stabilizing them on the dancers' heads i
                    think. They are going to be that look but exaggerated.

                    > Teela

                  • teela depond
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                      i'm heading up there tomorrow nite for the show. attempted contact last month with their publicist, etc. but no dice so far. don't they have great hats! hopefully i will learn something just by being in the audience!

                      Mary <hanstar88@...> wrote: What about trying to contact the costuming staff of "Beach Blanket

                      <teelabythesea@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone have any ideas, photos, sources, etc. for constructing
                      very large hats circa 1910 but BIGGER! I've collected some photos,
                      sources, buckram forms but still looking for tried and true ideas. My
                      big problem is going to be stabilizing them on the dancers' heads i
                      think. They are going to be that look but exaggerated.

                      > Teela

                      Teela

                    • Mary
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
                        Lucky you! I'm only an hour away from SF, but still have never gotten
                        around to going. I guess it's because the show is always running and
                        there always seems to be something else to go see!

                        Have fun, with the show & the hat,

                        <teelabythesea@...> wrote:

                        > i'm heading up there tomorrow nite for the show. attempted contact
                        last month with their publicist, etc. but no dice so far. don't they
                        have great hats! hopefully i will learn something just by being in the
                        audience!

                        > Mary hanstar88@... wrote:
                        > What about trying to contact the costuming staff of "Beach Blanket
                        > Babylon"?

                        <snip>