Dye Vats

  • crista-wolfe@utulsa.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hello, I am the costume shop supervisor at Tulsa University and I am
      looking for a dye vat to purchase for the shop. Could anyone recomend
      one? I have also heard of people using speghetti cookers for this?
      What would you guys recomend? Thanks, Crista

    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
        >We have a 65 gallon Groen (electric) at the Children's Theatre.
        We bought it used, from a restaurant supplier. It's a soup kettle,
        actually, although I suppose you could cook spaghetti in it.....The
        service man says you can use it as a deep-fryer, too!

        I like it quite a bit, even though I use it for cold-water dye, mostly.

        It also functions very well as a steamer for silk paint, etc. I
        made a cradle to suspend the work being steamed inside the
        pot, and close the lid. Now, I'm trying to get the scene shop to
        build a dog-house to fit over the top, so we can fit in larger
        projects, and maybe, not have to roll them up.

        I've heard complaints about gas-fired kettles not staying lit from
        another dyer in town.

        Make sure they vent the dye room properly!

        I've become convinced that the best model for a dye room is a
        locker room shower!

        Scott
      • DJCPoland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
          <I've become convinced that the best model for a dye room is a
          locker room shower!>

          LOL! I worked for a tie-dyer at one point whose studio was in an old
          school that had been turned into artist's studios, and that is exactly
          where his cying room was!

          DJC in Norwich, UK

          from AOL at AOL.com.