Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tara in London

  • mjade19
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2002
      Are there lots of jobs in Alaska for costumers? I am curious because I always thought it would be fun to live in Alaska.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "mjade19" <mjade19@c...> wrote:
        > Are there lots of jobs in Alaska for costumers? I am curious because
        I always thought it would be fun to live in Alaska.

        Very few costume jobs that are full time. I suspect there must be a
        designer in Juneau who does Perserverance theatre close to full-time,
        Here in Fairbanks I'm full time, my assistant is only paid 1/2 time,
        and there is one lady who runs a rental shop in town. Community
        theatre is costumed by talented volunteers. In Anchorage at UAA there
        is a full time costume designer on faculty, plus a costume shop
        manager, in town are a few rental shops, and likely a wardrobe
        mistress who deals with the rental costumes for the opera down there.
        I expect that there are a few "freelance" (part-time underpaid)
        designers who do theatre in Anchorage, but beyond that Alaska is the
        ends of the earth for costuming. I know I'm the only member of the
        Costume Society of America, The Costume Society and the International
        Costumer's Guild in Alaska, and there are only about 10 USITT members
        (including costume and all other tech people) in the whole state.