Re: Fabrics

  • Katherine Fielder
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 9, 2002
      I am looking for fabrics of all types please give me
      websites where i can find best deals

      thank-you
      kathy

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Paquerette
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
        Katherine Fielder wrote:

        > I am looking for fabrics of all types please give me
        > websites where i can find best deals
        >
        > thank-you
        > kathy

        One of my favorite sources of hard-to-find stuff:
        www.classactfabrics.com . Unfortunately, she doesn't have as much on the
        site as she has in the store, but it's still a great selection.

        Jeni.
      • Caroline Dunn
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
          Message

           I am in the UK and am desperately searching for a paper pattern for a Batman type outfit. I can find nothing here and nothing on the web either. Does anyone know of such a thing and where I might be able to buy it? I'd be very grateful for any help/suggestions anyone could give me. Many thanks, Caroline (caroline.dunn@...
        • Terri Lee
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002
            try www.simplicity.com

            I know they used to have one...

            --- Caroline Dunn <caroline.dunn@...> wrote:

            > I am in the UK and am desperately searching for a
            > paper pattern for a
            > Batman type outfit. I can find nothing here and
            > nothing on the web
            > either. Does anyone know of such a thing and where I
            > might be able to
            > buy it? I'd be very grateful for any
            > help/suggestions anyone could give
            > me. Many thanks, Caroline
            > (caroline.dunn@...)

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2002

                Try www.fabric.com.  Lots of stuff.

              -Jessie (who is frustrated because the damn celtic shirt won't go together right)

              - - - - - - - - - -

            • rnewell@uwm.edu
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2002
                Someone at the Arts Institute at Bournemouth may be able to help. They have a
                great costume program.

                Quoting Caroline Dunn <caroline.dunn@...>:

                > I am in the UK and am desperately searching for a paper pattern for a
                > Batman type outfit. I can find nothing here and nothing on the web
                > either. Does anyone know of such a thing and where I might be able to
                > buy it? I'd be very grateful for any help/suggestions anyone could
                > give
                > me. Many thanks, Caroline (caroline.dunn@...)

              • peggy salvail
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12, 2002
                  Where are you located? I have a daughter in LA looking
                  for work. Thanx Psalvail
                  --- thecostumersmanifesto <Tara@...> wrote:
                  > Please post the following opening....thanks!
                  >
                  > Costume Technician/Wardrobe Supervisor wanted for
                  > Trollwood Performing
                  > Arts
                  > School's production of "Footloose". Employment runs
                  > apx 9 weeks from
                  > June
                  > 1st to the end of July and includes Wardrobe
                  > Supervision on a 3 week
                  > run.
                  > Salary package depends upon experiece but includes
                  > very competitive
                  > salary,
                  > free apartment housing and free airfare. Great
                  > opportunity for
                  > graduate
                  > students with strong construction
                  > skills...undergrads also considered.
                  >
                  > Please contact Shaune Wunder, Costume Director at
                  > wundersg@...

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • Siebel San
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002

                    Allo all,

                    Does anyone know any good sources for fake fur?  I got a few inquiries about things like a fur bikini to wear beneath a chinmail bra and loincloth, fur pants for a Pan costume, and a full-length fur-lined cloak.  The bikini I may do with rabbit furs that I can buy at a nearby store for about $3 apiece, but I don't feel like sewing a billion of the things together for the cloak, and rabbit fur isn't the right texture for the pants.  I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know what I mean?

                    Thanks much

                    Jessie

                    - - - - - - - - - -

                  • neimhaille
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002
                      >I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know
                      what I mean?

                      It's technically Autumn here (Auckland however is sub tropical, not
                      really as glorious as it sounds;)- so it's the start of the rainy
                      season)- and my nearest 2nd hand warehouse is chock full of fur
                      coats, from very definately real astrahkan to stuff nearly fooling me
                      to bright blue very definately fake fur.

                      I would offer to get something for you but with shipping etc it
                      wouldn't be worth it;)

                      Maybe you could try some 2nd hand goods stores near you? An antique
                      store that deals with clothing might be a good place too.

                      These coats are usually very well cared for. And if real, I have
                      heard a good way to clean them is to use corn flour. Simply shake it
                      on, let it get right into the pile, leave it to absorb oils etc and
                      brush it out. I use it in my hair occasionally If it looks a little
                      oily. Works a treat.

                      Hope this helps in some way:)

                      michaela
                      up to her neck getting various web sites fully functional.. sigh
                    • Kathryn Parke
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 14, 2002
                        Here are several you may find helpful -- I just bought some great "orangutan" fur from I'm Stuffed Fur, myself.

                        http://imstuffedfur.com/
                        http://fabulousfurs.com/quicklist.asp?CAT_NBR=9
                        http://www.big4fabrics.com/
                        http://store.yahoo.com/hancockfabricstore/fur.html

                        Hope one of these helps --
                        KP

                        Siebel San wrote:

                        Allo all,

                        Does anyone know any good sources for fake fur?  I got a few inquiries about things like a fur bikini to wear beneath a chinmail bra and loincloth, fur pants for a Pan costume, and a full-length fur-lined cloak.  The bikini I may do with rabbit furs that I can buy at a nearby store for about $3 apiece, but I don't feel like sewing a billion of the things together for the cloak, and rabbit fur isn't the right texture for the pants.  I'd like to find some fake fur that isn't very obviously fake, know what I mean?

                        Thanks much

                        Jessie

                        - - - - - - - - - -

                      • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 15, 2002
                          If you read the announcement carefully, you will note that the message is a
                          forward, not a message from a person on this list. To find out more about
                          the forwarded job announcement you will need to directly contact the email
                          wundersg@... listed in the announcement, not this list, or me.

                          --
                          ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
                          Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 15, 2002

                            Hey all,

                            Thanks for the links Kathryn - they are great!  And that was a great idea Micheala, the Slavation Army stores around here always have old fur coats.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  Thanks for all your help!

                            -Jessie

                          • Siebel San
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 5, 2002

                              I have a burn-test kit that I'd like to sell, if anyone is interested.  I bought it for a class, and we never used it, and the university book store won't buy it back because they like to make a profit off the students.  None of the samples have been used, and the package was only opened in order for me to list what's inside.  There are 20 fiber samples (email me for the complete list) and a chart indicating what each fiber will do a) when approaching flame, b) when in flame, c) after removal from flame, d) what the ash looks like, and e) the ordor emitted.

                              I don't recall exactly what I paid for the kit (only that my total book bill was over $300 and so far I've only gotten $18 back) but I'd like to try and sell it for $15, that is shipping included.  Make me an offer if that sounds too steep.  Email me at SiebelSan@... if interested.  Thanks :-)

                              Jessie