1850s fabric

  • earhtmother
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
      While not really a sewing question this group seems the obvious place
      to go for the information I need. We are putting on Oliver at the end
      of the month & need to fill a "street barrow" with period fabric, but I
      am unsure as to what all we can put in it. While we are trying to be
      as accurate as possible, time is now of the essence so any and ALL help
      is appreciated.

      Elaine
    • teela depond

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
          Do you think the audience will be able to read the fabric that well? I
          think if you just put neutral or dark colored cottons, wools and linens
          in, that should be fine. And plaids.

          Sylrog

          On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:39 PM, earhtmother wrote:

          > While not really a sewing question this group seems the obvious place
          > to go for the information I need. We are putting on Oliver at the end
          > of the month & need to fill a "street barrow" with period fabric, but
          > am unsure as to what all we can put in it. While we are trying to be
          > as accurate as possible, time is now of the essence so any and ALL
          > help
          > is appreciated.
          >
          > Elaine

        • teela depond
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
            HI-well it depends. cottons with polyester and other synthetics do not read well for that period. heavier less silky fabric has more substance and weight and it seems to translate the feel of old hand-loomed fabric under bright stage lighting. as far as neutral and dark colored cottons, wools, and linens, they will bleed out color on the stage and be so authentic that from a distance they can be monochromatic. although i love linen for that period works. it's just perfect for men's shirts and undergarments. my 2cents.......

            Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote: Do you think the audience will be able to read the fabric that well? I
            think if you just put neutral or dark colored cottons, wools and linens
            in, that should be fine. And plaids.

            Sylrog

            On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:39 PM, earhtmother wrote:

            > While not really a sewing question this group seems the obvious place
            > to go for the information I need. We are putting on Oliver at the end
            > of the month & need to fill a "street barrow" with period fabric, but
            > am unsure as to what all we can put in it. While we are trying to be
            > as accurate as possible, time is now of the essence so any and ALL
            > help
            > is appreciated.
            >
            > Elaine

            Teela