Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: PVC Sewing Help

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      I would try the silicone spray or drops as suggested. I am fortunate
      to have a Pfaff with an even-feed foot. Actually, that's why I bought
      it. I make and sell clothing for the goth community, which means a lot
      of black pvc. I tried out both the Pfaff and a Bernina with a walking
      foot and the Pfaff was superior. In addition, I do use tissue paper
      over some seams, like when I apply zippers. A walking foot helps too
      if you have one, but the even feed foot on the Pfaff is marvelous for
      vinyl.

      Sylrog

    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        I would also try reducing your presser foot pressure, if your machine
        has that option.

        Sandy

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • Allison Pace
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
          I once sewed a pvc skirt, and I found that baby powder really worked
          great. Just clean your sewing machine really well before and after
          you use it. But it helps the pvc gluide right through and just washes
          off with water.

          Allison

          > > solution
          > > problem.

          > > sorta
          > > not
          > > and
          > > things. I've
          > > down.

          > > baste
          > > who

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
            Hi, a question I think I can help with. I have an industrial Singer
            machine which has a very even feed, and I still had problems
            with "bunching" on seams. Most PVC is a little stretchy, so that is
            one issue. The other is that the shiny side is prone to sticking to
            any surface it comes in contact with. I had success with the teflon
            coated foot on the machine, slightly decreasing the presser foot
            pressure AND using light tissue paper between the bed of the machine
            and the fabric all at the same time! A lot of trouble but the results
            justified it. The client wanted thigh high stretch PVC boots for her
            40th birthday party, the theme was "your alter ego" and she wanted to
            be a dominatrix. I admire those people who sew lots of PVC, I guess
            you would just used to handling it, I've heard that teflon spray is
            good, does it leave a bad residue on the fabric? Powder is not an
            option with industrial machines as it fouls the oil bath under the
            machine. Good luck, Christine in Sydney Australia.