Re: PVC Sewing Help

  • saralee20032000
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Hi, hope this makes it clearer. It's not bias cut, it's a straight
      seam and yes... I am getting those diagonal wrinkles. Am I
      unconsiously pulling on the fabric? Should I wear gloves or something?
      Cara

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
      <sylvia@...> wrote:

      > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved
      seam
      > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling
      so
      > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's
      not
      > clear.
      >
      > Sylrog
      >
      > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
      >

      > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great
      solution
      > > for
      > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on
      > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
      problem.
      > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying
      > > sew a
      > > straight line.
      > >
      > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
      sorta
      > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is
      not
      > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot
      and
      > > tissue
      > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those
      things. I've
      > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric
      down.
      > > But
      > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
      > >
      > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
      baste
      > > by
      > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you
      who
      > > know
      > > so much.
      > >
      > > Cara

    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        I would try the silicone spray or drops as suggested. I am fortunate
        to have a Pfaff with an even-feed foot. Actually, that's why I bought
        it. I make and sell clothing for the goth community, which means a lot
        of black pvc. I tried out both the Pfaff and a Bernina with a walking
        foot and the Pfaff was superior. In addition, I do use tissue paper
        over some seams, like when I apply zippers. A walking foot helps too
        if you have one, but the even feed foot on the Pfaff is marvelous for
        vinyl.

        Sylrog

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          I would also try reducing your presser foot pressure, if your machine
          has that option.

          Sandy

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Allison Pace
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
            I once sewed a pvc skirt, and I found that baby powder really worked
            great. Just clean your sewing machine really well before and after
            you use it. But it helps the pvc gluide right through and just washes
            off with water.

            Allison

            > > solution
            > > problem.

            > > sorta
            > > not
            > > and
            > > things. I've
            > > down.

            > > baste
            > > who

          • Christine
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
              Hi, a question I think I can help with. I have an industrial Singer
              machine which has a very even feed, and I still had problems
              with "bunching" on seams. Most PVC is a little stretchy, so that is
              one issue. The other is that the shiny side is prone to sticking to
              any surface it comes in contact with. I had success with the teflon
              coated foot on the machine, slightly decreasing the presser foot
              pressure AND using light tissue paper between the bed of the machine
              and the fabric all at the same time! A lot of trouble but the results
              justified it. The client wanted thigh high stretch PVC boots for her
              40th birthday party, the theme was "your alter ego" and she wanted to
              be a dominatrix. I admire those people who sew lots of PVC, I guess
              you would just used to handling it, I've heard that teflon spray is
              good, does it leave a bad residue on the fabric? Powder is not an
              option with industrial machines as it fouls the oil bath under the
              machine. Good luck, Christine in Sydney Australia.