Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] PVC Sewing Help

  • Costume Gallery
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Try Silcone Spray for Sewing. It's a great product. We use it on
      vinyl and plastics
      Good Luck,
      Joy

      On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

      > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved seam
      > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling so
      > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's not
      > clear.
      >
      > Sylrog
      >
      > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
      >

      > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution
      > > for
      > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
      > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
      > problem.
      > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to
      > > sew a
      > > straight line.
      > >
      > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
      > sorta
      > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
      > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and
      > > tissue
      > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things.
      > I've
      > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down.
      > > But
      > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
      > >
      > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
      > baste
      > > by
      > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who
      > > know
      > > so much.
      > >
      > > Cara

    • saralee20032000
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        Hi, hope this makes it clearer. It's not bias cut, it's a straight
        seam and yes... I am getting those diagonal wrinkles. Am I
        unconsiously pulling on the fabric? Should I wear gloves or something?
        Cara

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
        <sylvia@...> wrote:

        > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved
        seam
        > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling
        so
        > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's
        not
        > clear.
        >
        > Sylrog
        >
        > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
        >

        > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great
        solution
        > > for
        > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on
        > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
        problem.
        > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying
        > > sew a
        > > straight line.
        > >
        > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
        sorta
        > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is
        not
        > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot
        and
        > > tissue
        > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those
        things. I've
        > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric
        down.
        > > But
        > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
        > >
        > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
        baste
        > > by
        > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you
        who
        > > know
        > > so much.
        > >
        > > Cara

      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          I would try the silicone spray or drops as suggested. I am fortunate
          to have a Pfaff with an even-feed foot. Actually, that's why I bought
          it. I make and sell clothing for the goth community, which means a lot
          of black pvc. I tried out both the Pfaff and a Bernina with a walking
          foot and the Pfaff was superior. In addition, I do use tissue paper
          over some seams, like when I apply zippers. A walking foot helps too
          if you have one, but the even feed foot on the Pfaff is marvelous for
          vinyl.

          Sylrog

        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            I would also try reducing your presser foot pressure, if your machine
            has that option.

            Sandy

            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed.

            Achemdro'hm
            "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
            -- C.Y. 4971

            Andromeda
          • Allison Pace
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
              I once sewed a pvc skirt, and I found that baby powder really worked
              great. Just clean your sewing machine really well before and after
              you use it. But it helps the pvc gluide right through and just washes
              off with water.

              Allison

              > > solution
              > > problem.

              > > sorta
              > > not
              > > and
              > > things. I've
              > > down.

              > > baste
              > > who

            • Christine
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                Hi, a question I think I can help with. I have an industrial Singer
                machine which has a very even feed, and I still had problems
                with "bunching" on seams. Most PVC is a little stretchy, so that is
                one issue. The other is that the shiny side is prone to sticking to
                any surface it comes in contact with. I had success with the teflon
                coated foot on the machine, slightly decreasing the presser foot
                pressure AND using light tissue paper between the bed of the machine
                and the fabric all at the same time! A lot of trouble but the results
                justified it. The client wanted thigh high stretch PVC boots for her
                40th birthday party, the theme was "your alter ego" and she wanted to
                be a dominatrix. I admire those people who sew lots of PVC, I guess
                you would just used to handling it, I've heard that teflon spray is
                good, does it leave a bad residue on the fabric? Powder is not an
                option with industrial machines as it fouls the oil bath under the
                machine. Good luck, Christine in Sydney Australia.