Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] PVC Sewing Help

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved seam
      or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling so
      you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's not
      clear.

      Sylrog

      On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:

      > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution
      > for
      > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
      > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a problem.
      > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to
      > sew a
      > straight line.
      >
      > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric sorta
      > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
      > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and
      > tissue
      > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things. I've
      > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down.
      > But
      > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
      >
      > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a baste
      > by
      > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who
      > know
      > so much.
      >
      > Cara

    • Costume Gallery
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        Try Silcone Spray for Sewing. It's a great product. We use it on
        vinyl and plastics
        Good Luck,
        Joy

        On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

        > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved seam
        > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling so
        > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's not
        > clear.
        >
        > Sylrog
        >
        > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
        >

        > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great solution
        > > for
        > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on a
        > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
        > problem.
        > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying to
        > > sew a
        > > straight line.
        > >
        > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
        > sorta
        > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is not
        > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot and
        > > tissue
        > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those things.
        > I've
        > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric down.
        > > But
        > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
        > >
        > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
        > baste
        > > by
        > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you who
        > > know
        > > so much.
        > >
        > > Cara

      • saralee20032000
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          Hi, hope this makes it clearer. It's not bias cut, it's a straight
          seam and yes... I am getting those diagonal wrinkles. Am I
          unconsiously pulling on the fabric? Should I wear gloves or something?
          Cara

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
          <sylvia@...> wrote:

          > Is the piece of pvc you're using cut on the bias? Is it a curved
          seam
          > or is it cut straight? Is the problem that the fabric is pulling
          so
          > you get those diagonal wrinkles? Or is it something else? It's
          not
          > clear.
          >
          > Sylrog
          >
          > On Feb 5, 2007, at 1:32 PM, saralee20032000 wrote:
          >

          > > Every time I've had a problem, someone here has had a great
          solution
          > > for
          > > me, so I'm hoping this time will be no different. I'm working on
          > > costume made out of PVC and the apron is giving me a bit of a
          problem.
          > > I've got a single piece of pvc thats folded over and I'm trying
          > > sew a
          > > straight line.
          > >
          > > The problem comes when I get a few inches in and then the fabric
          sorta
          > > bunches or rolls (between seam and the edge) the and the edge is
          not
          > > clean. Does anyone know what I mean? I am using a teflon foot
          and
          > > tissue
          > > paper so I don't believe it's a matter of either of those
          things. I've
          > > been using these little school supply clips to hold the fabric
          down.
          > > But
          > > I have to take 'em off when I get to that section.
          > >
          > > Can anybody help me? Only other thing I can think of is to do a
          baste
          > > by
          > > hand first. That would bite. Oh, and many thanks to all of you
          who
          > > know
          > > so much.
          > >
          > > Cara

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            I would try the silicone spray or drops as suggested. I am fortunate
            to have a Pfaff with an even-feed foot. Actually, that's why I bought
            it. I make and sell clothing for the goth community, which means a lot
            of black pvc. I tried out both the Pfaff and a Bernina with a walking
            foot and the Pfaff was superior. In addition, I do use tissue paper
            over some seams, like when I apply zippers. A walking foot helps too
            if you have one, but the even feed foot on the Pfaff is marvelous for
            vinyl.

            Sylrog

          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
              I would also try reducing your presser foot pressure, if your machine
              has that option.

              Sandy

              "Those Who Fail To Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed.

              Achemdro'hm
              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              -- C.Y. 4971

              Andromeda
            • Allison Pace
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                I once sewed a pvc skirt, and I found that baby powder really worked
                great. Just clean your sewing machine really well before and after
                you use it. But it helps the pvc gluide right through and just washes
                off with water.

                Allison

                > > solution
                > > problem.

                > > sorta
                > > not
                > > and
                > > things. I've
                > > down.

                > > baste
                > > who

              • Christine
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Hi, a question I think I can help with. I have an industrial Singer
                  machine which has a very even feed, and I still had problems
                  with "bunching" on seams. Most PVC is a little stretchy, so that is
                  one issue. The other is that the shiny side is prone to sticking to
                  any surface it comes in contact with. I had success with the teflon
                  coated foot on the machine, slightly decreasing the presser foot
                  pressure AND using light tissue paper between the bed of the machine
                  and the fabric all at the same time! A lot of trouble but the results
                  justified it. The client wanted thigh high stretch PVC boots for her
                  40th birthday party, the theme was "your alter ego" and she wanted to
                  be a dominatrix. I admire those people who sew lots of PVC, I guess
                  you would just used to handling it, I've heard that teflon spray is
                  good, does it leave a bad residue on the fabric? Powder is not an
                  option with industrial machines as it fouls the oil bath under the
                  machine. Good luck, Christine in Sydney Australia.